ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

1,101 to 1,120 of 4,093 messages
seren nos    pirate
07/12/2012 at 17:40

I was going to ask you malcs how they explained the calculator to you

07/12/2012 at 17:45

No, there was nothing on it at all. Reassure me guys? I didn't miss a session did I?  

07/12/2012 at 17:53
no explanations oncalculator in our group. I'd looked at the asics site n thought 'I do more running than that!' maybe that's where we are going wrong...we do too much!
07/12/2012 at 18:09

the calculator was briefly mentioned in one of the sessions but not much was said really, just that we will be using it to make our training programme. I tried to use it in prep for a half, but I found I was doing more than it suggested and had a better outcome.

07/12/2012 at 18:18
I was a bit confused by the lack of running as well. I'm sure all will become clear.

Newsflash: DS2 ACTUALLY DID SOME WORK TODAY !!!
07/12/2012 at 18:23

Sarah - Haha! Yes I can see how that would be quite embarrassing - at least it wasn't a onesy...

07/12/2012 at 18:32

Evening guys and girls! Have been out for a couple of hours and again everything has moved on without me! Eek!

07/12/2012 at 19:04

My word....this was a bad day for a full day's worth of training...I must have missed about 500 messages.......AND....the video.......I'll save watching that for later after my squash match in a few minutes (cross training and all that), and see what else I missed out on. That's my evening's entertainment already planned!

Managed to squeeze a short run in at lunch....only 3 miles.....not up to Andrew's 10k standards. Boy, was it windy.......it might just be me, but running in wind always makes me angry, especially when it's pushing you around!

Before I disappear off to play squash, if any of you could provide your opinions on wearing Camelbaks, it would be highly appreciated. I've only worn one once, earlier in the year when doing an ultra marathon. But to save on stopping off at shops on my long runs to buy extra refreshments, I'm thinking of wearing it for these as well. Does anyone else wear these when training? Do you have any negatives to doing this?  Gordon Ramsay said (so sad of me to remember this!) when he trained for London he wore a bag with books in, which made him go faster on race day when he wasn't wearing it. Any thoughts?

Look forward to seeing the video later....will help keep my mind off my 5-0 drubbing I'm about to receive!

07/12/2012 at 19:05
Thought the video of Bootcamp was very good, I've had a go at the calcuator and wondered why it didn't go over 4 days???
seren nos    pirate
07/12/2012 at 19:11

for most people carrying books etc is likel;y to cause back problems.....so no.camel baks are fine for training.......lots of people use the for long runs especially if you are oit early when shops are shut

07/12/2012 at 19:18
I've used a camelbak as well as a belt- camelbak better but found that the sloshing around sound after a while made me feel like I needed to wee all the time doesn't matter if its dark and no one around
07/12/2012 at 19:18

Ady - I don't like anything on my back when I'm running. I use a fuel belt and then top up as I go. Finding open shops isn't an issue for me it's public loos that never seem to be open when I get the urge - and I don't mean that in a George Michael kind of way

You will enjoy the video - there is some guy talking about running to eat in it, you may recognise him 

07/12/2012 at 19:32

At least i'm not the only one confused with the online calculator tool. Sub 4hrs for me looked  a bit less than I was anticipating. 

07/12/2012 at 19:40

Reg - did they talk to our group about that? 

07/12/2012 at 19:43

There is lots of research stuff into whether you need to drink when running and how much. The better trained on these forums often don't drink anything on runs up to 20 miles. I'm now up to 16 without i,t on their advice.

The key is, so I understand, to keep hydrated all day and the evening before you run and you are unlikely to need too much. I normally just have a couple of mouthfuls of water and then go. Nothing more, no gels, anything.

I was sceptical at first but now I have got into the right habits I find I'm fine on all of my runs.

And Malcs - not drinking on the run shuts the bladder down for longer and I haven't needed to stop at public loo's  either. A certain Mr Michael is somewhat disappointed I hear!!!

07/12/2012 at 19:50

Malcs - No they didn't or if they did I wasn't listening

07/12/2012 at 19:55

DS2 -  maybe I should try that. I'm having enough trouble training my legs though - the other parts of me will have to wait for now!

I can get by with very little fluid if it's cold but turn the heat up and I'm terrible. Are you the same in the heat? I'm not talking July heat, I mean 20degrees with a bit of sun in April.

Reg - phewph, I'm not going mad then.

Edited: 07/12/2012 at 19:56
07/12/2012 at 20:02

The Hydration thing is interesting as I put this on another thread:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/health--injury/headache-after-long-run/234970.html

Do I drink too much?

07/12/2012 at 20:13
Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Gordon Ramsay said (so sad of me to remember this!) when he trained for London he wore a bag with books in, which made him go faster on race day when he wasn't wearing it. Any thoughts?

I remember reading John Tarrant used to run around with a rucksack filled with rocks form the quarry, you could give that a go Think I might leave that for a few years myself!

07/12/2012 at 20:23
seren nos wrote (see)

seriously tenjiso.is it as useless as its online shoe generator......

LOL - don't get me started, seren.  The shoe generator asked me three very basic questions.  I answered one that I was a mild overpronator.  So naturally it recommended shoes designed for "severe" overpronators.  Nice programming work guys 

1,101 to 1,120 of 4,093 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.