ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

A great prize & challenge

1,161 to 1,180 of 4,103 messages
A.W
08/12/2012 at 09:17

Morning all!

Hey Shady, I have to agree with your vid interview a little. Being able to eat loads of cake is one of the benefits of running so much!

It's a gorgeous day here too, off for a morning tempo session today then a little work unfortunately!

Have a great day everyone.

A.W
08/12/2012 at 09:43
Morning, I slept loads better last night (after drinking some of the home made damson vodka a patient made me). Feel all refreshed and raring to go.....trying to talk my OH in trying a gentle jog (recovery run for me) or going for a walk but he's having non of it!

Shady, I love jelly babies.......even though you don't need them on a half I've taken them on my last two....makes the race far more enjoyable if you eat one during the last few miles at each mile marker. The red and blacks are my favourite!

Caroline, you have a busy few days! Hope you have a fabulous bday.....you may be given a priceless belated present on Thursday!

Hope you all have a good day today and fun tonight.
08/12/2012 at 10:02
Good morning everyone, good to see the forum is still powering on!!! The sweets is an easy one for me, my boys like haribo's but don't like the jelly babies in them so I get to take them out with me.
10 mile run this morning, it was cold but sunny up here in North Wales, a very refreshing morning!!!
08/12/2012 at 10:03

A couple of people have mentionned the "sloshing camelbak".

A simple solution after you have filled it, is to turn it upside down and suck the remaining air out by using the drinking tube. This creates a vacuum inside and you don't hear the sloshing - simples!

One less reason to dive into the bushes - FWIW, I use a camelbak on runs over 15/16 miles and a belt for gels, raisins and jelly babies. I have been known to sneak a few small pieces of Soreen malt loaf in my belt too - food of the Gods.

08/12/2012 at 10:09
Good tip Mike, I'll be sure to try it out
Edited: 08/12/2012 at 10:22
08/12/2012 at 10:24

Very good tip Mike! WIll defo try all them especially the Malt loaf!! Not going to be about much today Im afraid guys. GOing to nip put for a morning run in the sunshine then i will be gettig myself ready for the football at 1300 and who knows what will happen from there. Hope you all have a fantastic weekend and I wlll try pick things up in the morning! Take care guys!

08/12/2012 at 10:34
Sarah, is the damson vodka better than damson gin? A friend brought a few bottles round over the summer. They didn't last long at all. And the idea if using sweets as an encourage my to power on to the next mile market is genius. I've only done that with drinks before. If I knew there was a Jaffa cake waiting for me, I might not struggle the last few miles as much!

Excellent tip Mike Thanks. I'll give that a go next weekend. I haven't tried malt loaf either. I do remember them giving it away in the past at the London marathon expo

Andrew. I think we all know what's going to happen at the football with a free bar at your disposal!
08/12/2012 at 11:40

Caught the end of the cricket on Sky - bit gutted England couldn't finish them off. Will have to record the inevitable victory to watch in the morning  

Agreed Ady - Monty rules!

Sarah - I hope this process doesn't turn you to the booze on a permanent basis. 

Back to the Christmas decorations - and more importantly the mince pies!

08/12/2012 at 11:57
Will those mince pies be washed down with a tipple of Port? It is almost Xmas after all!
08/12/2012 at 12:10

G'day guys- everyones been busy and up early (andrew- 5am??)

Just managed to catch up between cases- this is interfering with work big style as am neglecting all non important jobs to keep on forum Like Sarah slept better but withoput the vodka.

Good to see Tamsin online- good luck!!

Seems a lot of people like Garmins- I use a 210 with HRM, and religiously upload to Garmin Connect. However, other than keeping a track of paces, and times there is a lot of data I don't use/understand...

Tenjiso- thanks for the book tip- will be in Xmas stocking off myself. I definately don't go slow enough on recovery runs, and looking back at my HR there doesn't seem to be an improvement- maybe my heart is old and tired

Mike- great tip for Camelbak- definately try that out.

When I did the marathons I used High 5 Gels (with the added caffeine). They are pretty sticky, but put about 8 in a 250ml hand held water bottle and sipped steadily till finished them at 28-30km then chucked it. The warmth of your hand and repeated shaking makes them go a bit thinner and easier to drink.

Caroline- enjoy the celebrations

Ady- Get up early like andrew to sneak a run in at your brothers!

Surgery beckons , so be offline for a bit. Have a good day everyone!!

08/12/2012 at 12:34

jenf – Ooh coastal run – lucky thing!! It’s a gorgeous morning here!

CaroT – sounds like you’ve got an AMAZING day planned!! We want pics! We want pics!

Tony's onthebeach – Ooh decorating the Xmas tree sounds like a plan … I always try to decorate it on my birthday too!

Doc Sarah – homemade damson vodka? None of my customers give me anything like that? Got some racing tickets once but not any booze!

paulsamcymru – Morning Paul! Bleurgh! Jellybabies? I’m not much of a fan of those! I like mars bar slices though for long runs!

Mike Sheridan – that is an AMAZING tip!! Thank you so much! The sloshing drives me bonkers – plus it makes me want to wee all the time. Think I might be a bit suggestible

Clive Kelty – morning Clive! I love the High 5s too – found them great for the marathon and Bristol and Reading half marathons. I alternated the gels and mars bar slices.

Shady_Ady – Mince pies!!! Yum! I’m working out all my Xmas runs in terms of mince pie miles! 2.5 miles ... that's one mince pie when I get home ...

Malcs - Good luck with Xmas decorations! DOn't eat all the chocolate ones - remember Santa is watching!

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 12:37
08/12/2012 at 13:07

Hi everyone. I had a lovely lovely run this morn. I meet with some friends on a saturday morn and we do an hour then have a cup of tea/chat. It was cold n a bit slip under foot so we took it steady, ( not slow remember what Sam said at boot camp!)

Malcs/Tony/RRR , I live on the SWales coast near Llanelli so I have easy access to the cycle path which is perfect for running. I can easily get to a country park/forest and beach for all my runs....made you all jealous now havn't I!!!!

Great tip re camel bak from Mike.. why have I never thought of that!! I like mine when I venture off into the forest cos I like to carry phone, first aid kit and other sensible things!!

Wierdest pressie I was given at work was home grown beetroot!!!

08/12/2012 at 13:48

Ahh Soreen, with an inch of butter!  That's my carb-loading strategy right there.  It is okay to start carb-loading now, isn't it?  

Anybody buying the Heart Monitor training book - let me know if the schedules inside go longer than 10k now.  I have the second edition, and a new one has come out in the meantime.  No worries if they don't, because the principles are easy to grasp and applied to any training schedule.  I'd buy the updated version if it has been expanded.

If they still do the offer - get the zipvit starter pack.  It includes a gel belt, sample gels (my favourite) and sweets for a fiver.  The gels have the highest carb content of any gel I'm aware of.  I've seen them described as "rocket fuel" - referring to the effects, not the taste 

seren nos    pirate
08/12/2012 at 13:52

jen.sounds like a lovely part of the country.my half and ful marathon PB's were at llanelli

08/12/2012 at 14:00
Hi mike, someone else has mentioned the soreen loaf to me before but I'm yet to try it....something else to add to my shopping list. Is it like Christmas cake?

Shady, it works a treat, I've had all my best times with the incentive of a jelly baby at the last few miles. I've also had one bottle of fruit cidar the night before all my PBs too.....think it must ease the nerves so I sleep better and I'm sure the sugar in it counts as carbo loading. I only have the one though! I like all the damson and sleo drinks, there so sweet but taste like medicine as though they are doing you some good. I'm not keen on normal vodka and gin though.

Malcs I use to be a good drinker when I was at uni but since running my drinking abilities have Deminished. I tend to have the odd drink at the weekend but that's it. I dont drink on a school night. My OH calls me a boring runner now but he's forgetting that he gets a lift to places and doesn't have the hassle and expense of getting a taxi! I'm out tonight though with the girls in Newcastle for our christmas outing......just hope I can keep up with them all!

RRR, my patients are great, they bring me all sorts of little nicities. What have you had for your bday?
08/12/2012 at 14:03
Tenjiso I kept seeing that offer on in RW and was tempted to get it but never got round to it as I thought there would be some sort of catch to it. Wish I had ordered it now as I haven't seen the offer in the last few issues I've had.
08/12/2012 at 14:08

Jenf - Yep! Definitely jealous!

08/12/2012 at 14:14

Let me know if you do Llanelli again then Seren ... I'll come n supply granola bars!!   I've done the half twice, but not the full.

08/12/2012 at 14:16

oh and Tenjiso, have you tried the banana soreen?  yummy!

08/12/2012 at 14:44
Jen - my in-laws are in Llanelli, we're down there quite often! Where are you then? Burry Port, Pembrey, Pwll?

The cycle path is fantastic. I've run from Felifoel to Pembrey and back before and nearly killed myself in the summer running the other way to Mumbles.

I'll be doing the great welsh marathon if I don't make Paris so save me some granola bars!

Watching the Scarlets at the moment!

Ady - desperately trying to resist the Port but not sure how long I can last. We expect a report on constitution hill!
1,161 to 1,180 of 4,103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.