Asics training starts now...!!

Here we go......

181 to 200 of 466 messages
20/01/2013 at 18:56

Ohh that was new...never run in snow like that before....my bum really hurts tonight!!!...Seren...our timings look quite similar.....!!!.....

its sooooo pretty !!!!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/img_1779low_0.jpg?width=350

20/01/2013 at 18:59

I managed to drag my little sister out in the snow to play!!!!.....had to stop for a quick photo shoot!!!!....I think she may be regretting me starting running...she has no where to hide anymore!!!.....

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/img_1776low.jpg?width=350

20/01/2013 at 20:06

Week 5 done!!!!

Monday – 4 mile comfortable (10:15 – 11:15)

Took 2 squawking teenage girls out for a run after school….why would I want to do that…..???....running is to give me peace……!!!....so they listened to music, chatted a lot and I ran backwards and forwards to keep a general eye on them….not the most inspiring run in the world, but it got the girls out….and my aim to stick to my pace was maintained!!!!......

Distance – 4.1 miles    Time – 41.26     Average pace – 10.12

Tuesday – Rest……Lovely little swim for an hour!!!.....

Wednesday – 4.5 miles Fast ( I mile comfortable ( 10:15 – 11:15 ) , 2.5 miles fast (8.45 – 9.00) , 1 mile comfortable)

Lovely unused track to be able to run up and down whilst using the interval setting on the Garmin…..very impressive setting!!!!......Unfortunatly a group of school children were bunking from school and I had to run past them about 4 times!!!....they must have thought I was a right plonker!!!.....

Really good session regardless of the bunking teenagers….worked really hard and enjoyed the different type of running!!.....

Distance - 4.5 miles       Time – 41.47

Lap 1 – distance 1 mile – Pace 10.16 Time – 10.16

Lap 2 – Distance 2.5 miles – Pace 8.31 Time - 21.18

Lap 3 – Distance 1 mile – Pace 10.12 Time – 10.12

Thursday – 3 mile recovery jog (11.15 – 12.15)

Stuck to the recovery jog pacing as I have been a bit fast in the past!!!....Just enjoyed a mooch though the woods watching the word go by!!!

Distance – 3.1 miles       Time – 34.27        Average pace – 11.07

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/img_1767loww.jpg?width=350

Friday – 4 mile build up (9.40 – 9.10) plus warm up and cool down. ( 5 miles total)

Had to miss this session as the snow was AWFUL……swapping it for tomorrow…!!

Saturday – Rest

Friday’s session……

A lovely fresh run along the sea front….I was full of energy and raring to go….felt like I hadn’t run for days….which really I hadn’t……Was surprised when I looked at my Garmin and saw I was running at a faster pace, but it was so easy and it just felt good!!!!..... 

Distance – 5 miles   Time – 44.34   Average pace – 8.55

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 20:11
seren nos    pirate
20/01/2013 at 20:11

great week done 

you were much faster than me on that long run...........my excuse is that i'm working to heart rate and not racing till july 

20/01/2013 at 20:12

Sunday -  Run for 2 and a half hours comfortable pace (10.15 – 11.15)

Off we go onto the South Downs…..an Arunners running club run so other slightly insane members of the team met first thing this morning….it was freezing and snowing lots!!!!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/img_1773-2low_1.jpg?width=350

Kept it slow up and down hills…. stunningly beautiful views, amazing to be out in the fresh air just having a great time…totally exhilarating….!!!!!!!.....wow….have come back feeling AMAZING!!!! The run its self wasn’t quite long enough…..so I got dropped off half way home so I could get the remaining 30 minutes of running in!!.....Oh I just loved it!!!!!!!........

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/img_1784-2low_0.jpg?width=350

Distance -  13.7      Time – 2.28       Average pace – 10.47 

20/01/2013 at 20:16

Hey Seren.....But did you enjoy it????......pretty sure you did!!!!..... I do find running with others on the long runs really helps!!!!...........( what you doing in JUly??) 

seren nos    pirate
20/01/2013 at 20:20

Doing the outlaw.its an ironman distance triathlon...but i was to smash my PB so am training hard.......but training to heart rate for the first time which is a bit strange

was going to do a spring marathon as well but decided it not to now so am following you instead

and yes i'm loving the running in snow

20/01/2013 at 20:27

Hi Ruth.....Kept an eye on fluids pre run today.....

Had a cup of tea and a glass of water before my run....didnt feel I needed any extra fluids pre run and took plenty with me.....maybe I took the fluids too close to running though as I was still trying to find a tree !!!....

Diet today:

Cup of tea

Porridge with coconut milk and blueberries

2x gels throughout the run

handful dried mango

2 x scrambled eggs 1x wholemeal toast for lunch, wheat berry salad

small bag peanut M&M's

Apple, orange

Chicken, lentils, tomato, beetroot, sweet potato, corgettes, green beans

Plenty of water thoughout the day

Found the gels ok.....tolerated them alright...although they dont taste great!!!

A.W
20/01/2013 at 20:40
Great pics from today Mel. It snowed all day here! Can't quite believe we're already in to week 6!

Keep up the good running!
A.W
21/01/2013 at 10:02

Great pictures - really disappointed that I'm still not running as the snow is great fun once you're out in 'the hills'.  I'm planning to try a very gentle run tomorrow if my knee is ok today - fingers crossed for me please!

21/01/2013 at 10:31
melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.....thank you for that input.....maybe thats why Im normally trying to find a tree mid run....!!...I will have a play around on Sunday as I have a longer run.....yes I probably could eat something between breakfast and and race....but not sure about a RIPE banana!!!

Pre race wee nerves is worrying me!!!!!!.....( sorry boys!!!) 

Food for yesterday:

2 x weetabix semi skimmed milk and blueberries

Salt and vinegar snack jacks

Pate and walnut bread, salad leaves

Apple and pear

poached Salmon, Noodles, pac choi, baby corn, mushrooms

2xtea, 1x coffee, 1 x latte, loads of water, 1x glass red wine

And I put the cream egg down.....!!!.....

40 minutes running

Try and not skip lunch when you can!

melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.....Kept an eye on fluids pre run today.....

Had a cup of tea and a glass of water before my run....didnt feel I needed any extra fluids pre run and took plenty with me.....maybe I took the fluids too close to running though as I was still trying to find a tree !!!....

Diet today:

Cup of tea

Porridge with coconut milk and blueberries

2x gels throughout the run

handful dried mango

2 x scrambled eggs 1x wholemeal toast for lunch, wheat berry salad

small bag peanut M&M's

Apple, orange

Chicken, lentils, tomato, beetroot, sweet potato, corgettes, green beans

Plenty of water thoughout the day

Found the gels ok.....tolerated them alright...although they dont taste great!!!

• Did you pee before you went running/left the house?
  • How long before did you drink before start of run?
  • When did you leave the house and when did you start your run (as assumed as you/sister drove home you needed to drive to start)?

You do not need to love the gels but you do need to tolerate them! What do you think your plan is for Paris with gels for example are  you going to have one every 30-35minutes? As we need to practice on long runs so we know you can tolerate them as often as you may need them.

The second food diary above is good! Although because less hot drinks than usual with milk, calcium is a little low but one day is only a snap shot of diet and other days have been okay and it is the bigger picture I am looking at.

As always loving the pictures!

22/01/2013 at 17:14

Great pics of your long run Mel. And a really good week's training. It's been a nice easy start to the week so far, but Thursday's session should be a bit more challenging and then we've got training day. Really looking forward to it. We may need to 'work round' the weather, but hey, that's spring marathon training for ya! 

23/01/2013 at 10:43

Morning Mel!

Love your pictures! I'm having fun running in the snow but seem to be running on my own all of the time so looking enviously at your lovely group runs!

Can't quite believe we're into Week 6 now ...!!! Eek!

23/01/2013 at 15:38

Hi Mel - just popped in to see how you are doing and so pleased to see the progress you are making and how much you are enjoying it all.  Training day will be great for you - do give my regards to Sam please.  Keep smiling.

24/01/2013 at 15:00

Mel, really looking forward to meeting you Saturday!

24/01/2013 at 17:01

Great Pics Mel.

Looks like you are making great progress with time on feet. Glad you are enjoying the journey so much!

25/01/2013 at 18:15

Evening Mel!

Hope training is going well and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow and having a good catch up!! Who knows ... maybe we won't be in matching kit again tomorrow!!

27/01/2013 at 20:21

Oh its been such a busy week and Ive just not had 5 mins to get on here to say hello!!!!.....

Ha RRR.....yes exactly the same kit again!!!! How funny....I hope when the photos come out people don't think we planned it!!!!.........we just have exceptionally good taste!!!

Hey Impish...how the knee....its been a week since I last made contact.....is time a great healer????

Seren....wow....that sounds amazing....that's serious training!!!!...puts my little jogs to shame.....( not really...) Whats your PB...? and how much are you trying to smash it by!!???

Oscarr....the training is amazing...I cant believe how fantastic it is.....how my life has changed in 6 months...its unrecognisable!!!!.....Im just buzzing from it all..!!

DS2.....Yes every minute on my feet has just been fab!!!...I cant put into words how lucky I feel to have been given this amazing opportunity!!!....every day I am thankful......even when getting up at 0330 for boot camp yesterday!!!

27/01/2013 at 20:23

Week 6

What an amazing week!!!! 

Monday - 3 mile recovery jog (10.50 – 11.40)

Quick 3 miles after work!!!....It got very dark very quickly so ended up running though a track in the woods in the dark!!....Next time I don’t stop to talk to work colleagues inn the car park….could they not see I was cold and trying to do something!!!.....Stuck to my pace though as previously I have gone to fast on recovery jogs and have been told off for it!!!!.... ……

Actual - 3.1 miles - 33.54 mins - pace average - 10.56

Tuesday - 4 mile steady (9.15 – 9.45)

Managed to incorporate this into a running club run which was lovely!!....Went a little big longer than I should…but shhh…its only a mile!!!....

Actual - 5 miles - 47.13 - pace average 9.27

Wednesday - rest

Actual- 1 hour hilly walk

Thursday - 1 mile comfortable 6x2mins @ 7.20 - 7.35 2.5 min recovery in-between 1 mile comfortable

Actual - 1 mile - time 10.21 - pace 10.21

lap 1 - 2 mins@ 7.09

recovery  2. 30 mins@11.22

lap 2 - 2 mins @ 7.24

recovery 2.30 mins @ 11.22

lap 3 - 2 mins @ 7.24

lap 4 - 2 mins @ 7.09

lap 5 - 2 mins @ 7.24

recovery 2.30mins  @11.22

lap 6 - 2 mins @ 7.24

recovery 2.30 mins @ 11.54

0.8 miles recovery,  time 8.37 average pace 8.37

Oh really enjoyed this…..not too good on speed sessions but worked really hard on this one and even smashed my pace twice….I am a bit of a plodder, speed is not my thing!!!….But yehhh…..did it!!

Friday - Rest

27/01/2013 at 20:31

Saturday - training day

0.8mile winders….. We lost the track due to snow so the lovely Sam and Steve found a route round the university for us to play on!!!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/img_1823low.jpg?width=350

.....started at one pace and slowly increased the pace by 10 seconds each time for 5 loops!!....Great fun, and amazing to be with every one for the day!!!.....It was such a special day, and I am so lucky that I have been given this fantastic opportunity!!...I look at how my life was only 6 months ago and it is unrecognizable in such a short space of time!!!

Sunday - 14 miles aprox 10.50 pace - speeding up to aprox 10.20

Having got up at 03.30 yesterday for Boot camp in Birmingham, and not getting home till 21.30….when my alarm went off this morning at 0700….I could have happily turned the alarm off and had another few hours snooze!!...however I purposely arranged too meet a friend to share part of my long run to avoid that situation!!....Wore my lovely new Asics t shirt that was given to us yesterday for our training…pink for girls and of course blue for the boys!!!!....

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/img_1814low.jpg?width=350

Lovely mooch with Nuala….( thank you, and thank goodness for your Comrades training!!) We were a little fast on our pacing, and I put that down to having a good old chinwag and not concentrating too much on the Garmin. However, made the first half slower than the second half as per the plan, and it was all pavement and a flat solid terrain… I had a lovely time!!!!...was my longest run yet and it felt fab!!!!....

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/img_1810low.jpg?width=350

Actual 14.5  miles 2.27 - average pace 10.08

splits - 10.17,10,17,10.19, 10.44, 10.26, 10.38, 10.12, 10.04, 10.01, 9.54, 9.49, 9.53, 9.52, 9.43

Another week done....another week closer!!!!...Here we go week 7.....Ill be pleased for a rest day tomorrow though....!!! 

181 to 200 of 466 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.