Asics training starts now...!!

Here we go......

201 to 220 of 466 messages
27/01/2013 at 20:41

Hey Ruth.....Lovely to meet you yesterday.....you really aren't as scary as your photo!!!!.....And I'm loving that you have given me the go ahead for cream eggs!!!...you never said how many per day!!!.....

Today - 

Porridge with coconut milk, banana and honey

1 cup of tea

homemade seed bar thing and chocolate milk - post run

chocolate biscuit - post run

wholemeal toast and sardines

salted popcorn

Jacket potato, beans, cheese, 1 small vegetable samosa

1 glass red wine

electrolyte drink x2 post run 

2 x coffee throughout the day

lots of water

14.5 mile run

only had 1x tea this morning at 0730ish, then sips of water. Left for my run at 0840, quick wee before i left....and no wee stop through the run!!!!......sipped water throughout the run with a camel back......!! result!!....funny that concept....fluids in...fluids out!!!.....

Hope you got home ok last night and it wasn't too late!!!!

27/01/2013 at 20:44

Week 7.......

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 6 mile comfortable ( 9.45 - 10.45)

Wednesday - 5 mile build up ( 9.40 - 9)

Thursday - rest

Friday - 5 miles steady ( 9.15 - 9.45 )

Saturday - 3 mile jog ( 10.50 - 11.40)

Sunday - Chichester 10k....If any one is doing it...then yehhh.....come and say hello....would be lovely to catch up...I will be wearing my lovely new T shirt and smiling a lot so you cant miss me!!!!!.....

Edited: 27/01/2013 at 20:45
27/01/2013 at 20:50

oh Ruth....I had 3 gels too during the run!!!....blahhhhh...... but I did as you said and took them every 30 - 40 mins.....first one after aprox an hour.....! And they were OK....if you like medicine!!!..... that will serve me right for making my patients take yuck medicine and telling them not to make a fuss!!!!!....

28/01/2013 at 12:37

Loving these stories and as you are just a bit faster than me I like yours the best. Good luck with Paris, something I hope to do next year.

28/01/2013 at 13:29

Hi Mel, Congrats on your running so far. It has been lovely to read your journey towards Paris. I too am training for Paris for my 1st marathon and as this week I will be breaking new grounds doing my 15 miles LSR, I was wondering what gels you have tried to help you through?  

28/01/2013 at 20:20
melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hey Ruth.....Lovely to meet you yesterday.....you really aren't as scary as your photo!!!!.....And I'm loving that you have given me the go ahead for cream eggs!!!...you never said how many per day!!!.....

Today - 

Porridge with coconut milk, banana and honey

1 cup of tea

homemade seed bar thing and chocolate milk - post run

chocolate biscuit - post run

wholemeal toast and sardines

salted popcorn

Jacket potato, beans, cheese, 1 small vegetable samosa

1 glass red wine

electrolyte drink x2 post run 

2 x coffee throughout the day

lots of water

14.5 mile run

only had 1x tea this morning at 0730ish, then sips of water. Left for my run at 0840, quick wee before i left....and no wee stop through the run!!!!......sipped water throughout the run with a camel back......!! result!!....funny that concept....fluids in...fluids out!!!.....

Hope you got home ok last night and it wasn't too late!!!!

Hi Mel

Don't like this photo much myself 

Great to meet you on Saturday, I think you should have your forum name as smile!

Remember with the gels you just need to stomach them! I would like you to practice with these a few more times and starting at 30-35minutes.

Great that you are working your way though the fluid issue. Perhaps  at the half marathon in Feb only have a cup of tea  then sip on 200ml of fluid between breakfast and race start (less before a training run - like you did on Sunday!) then drink little and often during race. As discussed the half in Feb is the dress rehearsal for Paris so  practice pre-race breakfast which is likely to be: porridge (but if using coconut milk will need to bring to Paris - UHT or practice with regular milk?) with some honey and a banana 2-3 hours before. Sip on water. I still think if you wish a snack between breakfast and race start you can if practice with this but only is wish.

When running the half I think you should carry all the gels you will need for Paris so you know how these will go in a race  belt or bum bag and how they feel to run with etc

I will write up the pre -race eating plan in the next week as discussed on Saturday. This plan is what you should be eating in the days leading up to Paris so you can see how this might look and what you might like to change  in this plan.

Ruth

28/01/2013 at 20:24

Hey Mel........very nice seeing you last Saturday. Thanks for the liquorice allsorts and your company on the train there and back.

I'm mightily impressed that you managed to get up at 7am on Sunday for your long run. Pictures made it look lovely. If you got any Comrades tips from your friend, please let me know!

Good luck with Chichester 10k this weekend.

28/01/2013 at 20:35

Hi Sarah Conway 6

I have just written up some info on Steve's thread on gels so will cut and paste this.

Finding the right gel can be trial and error for some. 

For first timers to a marathon or using gels you need to consider what type of gel you are going to use. For example, one with water already in it and hence don’t need to drink with it, these gels are described as something between a drink and a gel but they will also be heavier to carry (as have more water in them) or do you choose a gel without water added so they have a thicker consistency but is lighter to carry but more concentrated in month & you need to drink 150ml or more of water with it.

Most, if not every brand of gel, does a caffeine gel and the same gel but without the caffeine. However the decision if using caffeine is how much you need and wish to use to have a good effect. These gels range usually between 30-50mg of caffeine but some used more heavily in cycling have 100mg per gel (CNP cola gels, these may be useful for those that what a bigger boost but you may only use say 1-2 of these in the race and use other non-caffeine gels for the rest of the race). Here are a few examples :

Powerbar (powerbar.co.uk): Have 3 main gels. Powergel and powergel fruit (some real fruit juice added) with 26/27grams of carb per gel but need to drink with this, no caffeine in these. If you want one with lighter consistency then powergel hydro also 26g of carbs but no water needed.

Or as an alternative to a  gel, powerbar do the powerbar shots (sweets with 5 g of carb per sweet and these have caffeine in them). These sweet suits those that like to drip feed their fuel in the race (so rather than consuming a gel 2 per hour you are taking a sweet every 10minutes or so. A portion these have 75mg of caffeine.

•  Or there is science in sport (www.scienceinpost.com) which have the GO gels with 22g of carb per gel, no water need with these and can buy with or without caffeine (50mg  caffeine per gel).
  •  Highfive (highfive.co.uk): choice of isogel (23g of carbs with or without 30mg of caffeine) or energy gels with or without caffeine (also 30mg of caffeine) and same carb 23g but the energy gels you need to drink with as thickener consistency.

There are lots of other gels but I have just picked out three brands to make it easier: thicker consistancy or lighter? caffene or no caffeine? Most other brands have same principle. You should also make sure you check how many carbs you will be consuming per hour (most people will need 2 gels per hour, a few may need 3 but should not need more than this per hour). Aim for 30-60grams of carbs per hour, I think if first timer nearer 50g would be safer.

Hope this is helpful

Ruth

Edited: 28/01/2013 at 20:35
29/01/2013 at 13:47

Mel, you are going such great guns! It's great to see - I'm very impressed  And I can see your confidence growing too. Keep up the fab work.

It's a relatively easy week this week - no very fast stuff - but don't neglect the accel strides on your Saturday run.

We've tentatively set a sub 53 goal for the Chichester 10km, assuming it's flat and weather OK. Does anyone know about the course? I'm sure Mel would find any insights useful.

29/01/2013 at 14:00

Hi there....I'm doing Chi 10k. It is a great route and pretty flat apart from a few umpy bumpy bits at about mile 2 then a short, sharp hill at about mile 4.5 which is not too bad as then followed by a lovely sweepy down hill bit.

This is a great blog Mel and I have stumbled across it whilst at work....and am now no longer doing any work !!  Well done and keep it up. 

29/01/2013 at 14:22

As usual, the photos are fab - I'd love to be able to run by the sea....

However, at the moment, running at all would be good.  My knee didn't get better so I went to a physio on Friday and have been diagnosed with a very tight ITB.  So, I had some ultrasound and 'massage' (she called it stripping) on the band and have been icing, stretching and rolling since - well, the first 2 straight away, the rolling I had to hold off until yesterday as the ITB was still sore from the massage

I'm going again this evening and hopefully will see improvement soon - I could be running again in 10 days if I'm good and keep up with the exercises.

On Sunday it was my club's winter leagu race, so I marshalled / helped out setting up and taking down - it was great to be out (lovely blue sky where I am) and great to see my running mates - even if I was on the sidelines.

It sounds as if your training is going great guns - hope your 10k goes to plan.

Impish

29/01/2013 at 15:10

Thanks Ruth for the guidance on the gels. I have used water based gels in the past for half marathons but over the last year have stuck with putting electrolytes in my water as this was sufficient for that distance.  Is it ok to start taking the gels from about 1 hour in to marathon if I have taken one before the start? I plan on having my normal electrolyte in water too on the actual day.  I'll take a look for some of these gel options this weekend as I do my long run. Thanks again.

29/01/2013 at 18:10

Hey Brian......I didnt know I could be faster than anyone!!!...bit of a plodder me!!!.....You should try Sams speed sessions.....they are killers but really good!!!!.....( cant believe I just said that!..) ......You should go for Paris next year!!!.....would be amazing...then I could follow your blog!!!

Hi Sarah...thats amazing!!!....you must come and say hello in paris!!!!.....as for gels!!!....yuck!!!....I have had to train myself to accept these.....I was really disapointed when I took my first one as I thought it was going to be a really cool sweet or something....but was probably the most revolting thing I ever experienced!!!...( not that Im a drama queen or anything!!) ......I have found through trial and error.....( but as Ruth says its very personal!)....gu energy gel blackberry x2 caffine.....but you have to almost eat it its so thick so be preapred for your mouth to stick together...( no smiling, could be a very unpleasant experience for others!...!!!)...and another favourite which isnt so thick is torq gel with guarana, fruits of the forrest flavour. Ruth will probably tell me off now for bad choices....I am about to run these by her so be prepared !!!..........good luck and let me know how you get on.....its all so totally new to me Im up for any hints tips and advice!!!!....please!!!!

29/01/2013 at 18:19

Ady - I cant believe you gave our secret away scoffing a big bag of liquorish all sorts on the way home..!!!!.........And yes 7 am was dedication this weekend I have to admit!!!....and I will of course pass any tips your way reference Comrades!!!!....Looking forward to Sunday!!!....wahhhh...no pressure!!

Possum Hopper......Yeh come and say hello if you see me!!!....Ill be the one in the big pink 'MEL'  Tshirt.....I ran the course last year with martin.....but he had a big verbal stick the whole way round so not sure how I will fair this time.....I have a friend who is going to pace me....she said she wanted a slow run!!!!.........speedy people....grrrr....!!!!!....As Sam has very kindly posted...Im looking for a sub 53.....so thats it...its public now and Im feeling really pressured!!!!!...........Hope to see you there!!!!!......

29/01/2013 at 19:17

Hi Ruth.....!

I am feeling a lot more confident now if there are no trees in Paris.....but will definitely practice my fluid regime!!.....

As for the Gels.....I used a high 5 energy gel at 1hr, then 1x Gu energy gel x2 caffeine at about 1hr 30ish.... and 1x torq gel with guarana at 2 hours on Sunday.....but now questioning the 2x caffeine???....also its so thick I'm a little concerned about taking it with water if I'm not wearing a hydration pack....( and you know I like to smile a lot when running, so it may look like I haven't cleaned my teeth for days!!!.....) .Do they use bottles in Paris at the water stops....??..........( please excuse my ignorance!!) .....and is it always water they issue??

As for this Sunday 10k....would i take a gel pre run???.....would it give me extra wings????..........I may need all the help I can get now my time has been posted publicly!!!

Hi Sam.....Thank you for your lovely comments....!! It's really given me a boost!!!.....

Edited: 29/01/2013 at 19:47
29/01/2013 at 19:59

Ooooo Impish...I have just googled ITB.....a positive that you know what's wrong and how to treat it.....just seems like a long slow journey.....!!

You of all people dont need to be restricted when running is your savour at the moment!!!....Good luck with it!!!....If its any concillation I am having to roller and stretch as I am having a very slight niggle in my right knee....I have just bought a foam roller with trigger points.....just waiting for the lovely Amazon man to deliver it!!.....Thank goodness for physios!!!!.....let me know how your getting on!!!!

Must have been strange for you marshalling.....I dont think it does any harm to be on the volunteering end every now and again.....but not fair when you just want to play !!!......

30/01/2013 at 21:20

Hi Mel, you seem to be going great with your training plan, all this information about gels is really interesting and helpful. I am running my first marathon in October so busy researching everything!!

Been looking at your training plan and was wondering what Sam means when she has put in 3x acceleration strides?

kirsty

31/01/2013 at 09:56

How's it going Mel, hope your foam roller has arrived. I'm living on mine at the moment. It's a good week to iron out those niggles and have agood stretch as it's an easier week than most especially after all the snow running.

31/01/2013 at 11:14

Hi Mel,

Hope your roller has arrived - I'll be taking mine to the work gym at lunchtime.  If I get another couple of days without pain (fingers crossed), I'm going to go out for 10 minutes on Saturday - just as a warm up for a major stretching session, but it will be good to try it out before I go back to the physio next week.  The physio thought that things were a bit better when I went on Tuesday and she was able to 'dig deeper' into the ITB when she massaged - I know that that was the case because I felt it at the connection points in the hip area, not just at the knee

Hope the rest of the training is going to plan - I'm so impressed with your ability to fit everything in.

Impish

31/01/2013 at 13:35

Hi Mel

Thanks for sharing your experience of gels. It does help me get prepared for not liking the taste so I dont have high expectations come Saturday's run. I've just done my lunchtime shop of gels to try out...I think everyone had the same idea as everyone was gathered around the gels section in the running shop...its definitely marathon training season.

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for you in Paris.  I recently went to a marathon talk at my running club where people shared their experiences ranging from beginners to experienced runners and the best take away from that was the following:

A guy who has now run about 20 marathons and knocked over 2 hours off his time from his first marathon said that as a first timer you should focus on enjoying the race and not put the pressure of time on yourself as you dont know what to expect as you have never experienced it before so you should just relax and get around.  This is definitely at the back of my mind as I train as others who have targeted  times and missed them on the day have said this clouded their first marathon experience. I think you've such a positive attitude to this experience already but that is the advice that I think is good to share as then whatever happens on the day you will remain upbeat.  Best of luck on Sunday, I imagine you'll fly around and have a new PB

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.