Asics training starts now...!!

Here we go......

321 to 340 of 466 messages
28/02/2013 at 20:42

Well hello Rebecca!!!...It lovely to hear from you!!!!.....I'm only faster because Im on week 11....!!! You'll see...you'll be speeding along soon!!.....( not that I think for one minute that anything within my running capability is speedy!!!) Plod is a far more accurate term!!!.....Poor you with a poorly foot!!...not good being unable to run when in training!!!......I hope the lovely Sarah can give you confidence with your physio's...!!!.....

I'm feeling like a bit of a cop out this week with so little running!!!!.....I know its a recovery week and I need it.....but it does feel very strange!!!!.....I'm sure next week I will be raring to go again.....have to admit I have been tired and probably needed a slower week!!.....so thank you Sam for once again knowing whats best!!!!.....

01/03/2013 at 08:08
Morning Mel, just stopping by again - thanks for welcoming me back - you're attention to detail is amazing - it obviously works with your training too - great to see your progress. I am making some too. Managed 4.75 miles yesterday with only a slight twinge during and after, but am fine this morning. I have started to use a run/walk strategy to be able to be out for longer and it seems to be working. I'm being good with my rehab - only one set of missed exercises this week - family outing to a concert last night meant one set of reps missed - I'll work extra hard at pilates this morning to make up! Hope things continue well and enjoy the training day with the others - it is this weekend, isn't it? (I do pay attention - honest!)
01/03/2013 at 12:11

Hi Mel,  you have been doing super well with training you should relish the easy week.  Like you I did my 18 miles last Saturday, through the parks and Thames towpath in West London. I even managed to find a distraction of a new part of the canal for the last few miles that had a few steep surprises...so much for thinking it would be flat. I have to admit that as the mileage has stepped up, I've been surprised at how my body reacts to the additional miles after the previous week...last week I did feel more able for the miles.I just thought of running 3 x 10kms so after each one, I started again and in my head it made it doable. This weekend I am tackling the 20 miles for the first time and honestly, am just wanting it over as its this time of the week that I get scared of the mileage.  Isogels and shot blocks at the ready

What I have found to limit the aches after the long runs is the cold bath...for between 5/10mins..depending on my tolerance level and then follow it by a warm bath with salts.  Last weekend was the exception as I couldnt bear the cold after running in such cold temperatures.

01/03/2013 at 14:45

Hi Rebecca, this has been quite a common complaint after all the running in the snow and mud. Alex had a similar issue.

Does it creak at all along the tendon when you move it? Does the tendon go to the big toe? You need to do some massage to the muscle at the front of the shin to the outside of the shin bone not on the bone. This is where the muscle belly for the tendon is. It can help to get some anti iflammatory gel on there to help locally and ice, also worth trying is hirudoid cream ,does help for local tendonitis. If painful to walk then running will make it more sore. You also need to get treated all the way up the leg especially mobilising the fibula ITB hip flexors and lower back to off load the area as much as you can. Please let me know any more details you can and what treatment you have had so far.

Good luck

01/03/2013 at 15:05

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply.

I have had some soft tissue work on the shin, but my physio said my shin wasn't really tight (unusual for me!). It is the tendon which goes to the big toe, but it doesn't creak with movement. It's also sore in the muscles inbetween the metarsals near where the foot turns into toes. This hurts when I prod but not when I walk or run. Sometimes there's a dull ache on the top of my foot when I walk, but it's only slight. It did hurt to prod the tendon running into the big toe but that's gone now. 

The pain seems to come and go, for a few hours it won't hurt to walk, and then it will for a while, then back to nothing. Often it's just the first few steps after I get up, but sometimes it hurts whenever I take a step. Driving seems to make it worse. I have an appointment with a different physio on Monday morning and will ask about lower back and IT band. I did have tight ITB just before the injury, and sore quads, which I have never had before. It's gone now after the rest (no running for two weeks now). I think my lower back is relatively infelxible generally, maybe that's had an effect. 

I've been using ibuprofen gel on my foot, but not the shin, I'll certainly try it. Would you recommend cross training on the ellitical machine? I have been doing this a little, and it doesn't hurt. I could also be amusing myself with yoga but I wasn't sure about pushing off from the floor for downward dog and planks etc. What do you think?

Also, what is hirudoid cream?

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 15:14
01/03/2013 at 19:42

Impish 37, great you appear to be making progress.

Mel

I won't be there tomorrow but have a great day and look forward to hearing all about it.

01/03/2013 at 19:51
wiggly worm wrote (see)
Hi Ruth, Mel and I had the same experience after our 18 milers, both of us were achy and exhausted. Mel had oatcakes, cashew butter and choc milk. I had choc milk (200ml) and a hot cross bun, with eggs on toast about 2 hours later. Without giving too much away, I see from an earlier post that we both weigh the same too!!

It would be great to have your feedback on our refuelling strategies. In my case, I suspect that part of the reason I was exhausted is because 18 miles is a long way.....?!

Your recovery post run was actually not too bad from a nutrition view point however what  did you eat before and what did you have during run? As this is important to consider as well as terrain.  

The biggest factor is probably the distance as this is high and I wonder how many 18milers you have completed before?

Ice bath may well have help! Sarah could give you more info on this.

01/03/2013 at 20:08
Thanks Ruth. I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. How many 18 milers have I completed before? None, that's as far as I've ever run!!
I had porridge and banana before and 3 gels plus water in the 3 hours I was out. I guess I could have had more gels, other than that it just leaves the distance
03/03/2013 at 19:21

Hi Rebecca,

you need to get the physio to check you havent got a stress fracture along the shaft of the second toe try pressing the bone and see if there is a hot spot.

The cream works best if it's creaking but there may be something undelying 

03/03/2013 at 20:28

Just a quick summery for this week!!!....I have a bath waiting for me to lounge in!!!!

Monday - 3 mile recovery jog

Had a bit of a change about as I did my long run on Saturday instead of Sunday…..so then had to do recovery today!!!.....Went out nice and slow….all felt good…..even singing my head off to Phantom of the Opera…..I don’t normally run with music so it was a bit of a novelty!!!!

3miles        Time 28.52          pace – 9.57 

Tuesday – 4 mile Jog

As yesterday was a jog….( due to me jiggling around all Sam’s hard work!!) Today I maintained the 4 mile bit….but just made it a bit harder by running up a few hills !!....I don’t know why I do that to myself!!!......

A beautiful run!!!!.....but arnt they always!!!

4 miles         Time – 40.02                 Pace – 10.01

Wednesday – 7 miles steady

This is when the week goes horribly wrong!!!!

.....I could feel this huge tiredness hit me in work!!!...I had a half hour snooze when I got home…..( I NEVER DO THAT!!!) ….Went out with the running club….and I bailed at 4 miles…..It just wasn’t happening….I figured I could either listen to my body and stop…or keep going for the sake of the mileage!!!!.....a good decision to stop….a rest day tomorrow and hopefully back to normal for Friday!!.....

Thursday – Rest

Friday – 6 miles comfortable

I’m still pooped!!!....Had to drive up to Birmingham tonight after work for boot camp…..so opted to take this as another enforced rest day and hopefully  bank my hours for Sunday…..!!!...( if Sam lets me!!) …..this is so unlike me!!!!....

Saturday – Boot camp!!!

Wow what an amazing day!!!!.....Everyone is sooooo fab!!!!!.....Thank you for another incredible day!!!!.....I feel so humbled to be involved with such inspiring people!!!...ooooooo it makes me feel all gooey!!!!

……Sam gave me permission to do 8 miles on Sunday and we talked though marathon paces and target times…..I’m not quite ready to commit yet to my final marathon time until after my 20 miler next weekend!!!......

We did some speed work and marathon pacing work, both with the Garmin and then without!!!......that was tricky!!!.....!!....

I felt fine!!...pleased I had listened to my body and rested especially with my mileage at its highest next week!!!

Sunday – 8 miles

Off I toddled with my sister, my daughter and the dog over the South Downs!!.....I felt slow but didn’t push it and listened to my body….felt good when I ran past the cyclist going up a hill!!!!..........sorry Mr cyclist...but I have to get my kicks somehow!!!

Then had a bit of a sprint when the police saw us on a “No dogs allowed” part of Arundel park!!!.....It was the only time in our life we could run away for the police and it looked like we were supposed to!!!!.....made us laugh a lot….

Then I had a bit of a sprint when the police saw me on a “No dogs allowed” part of Arundel park!!!.....It was the only time in our life we could run away for the police and it looked like we were supposed to!!!!.....made us laugh a lot…. he was very nice when he caught up with us……even told us not to stop running...!! So thank you Sussex police for being so understanding!!!!.....

Another amazing week……really surprised at how my body has reacted and how tired I have been….I have given myself full permission this week to rest as much as I can, and not run around with my hair on fire every day!!!.....

Mileage this week - 26 ( recovery week)

Mileage next week - 37 

03/03/2013 at 22:12

I haven't run yet since the last race.  Going to give it a fortnight off.  No beef dripping.

04/03/2013 at 11:21
wiggly worm wrote (see)
Thanks Ruth. I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. How many 18 milers have I completed before? None, that's as far as I've ever run!!
I had porridge and banana before and 3 gels plus water in the 3 hours I was out. I guess I could have had more gels, other than that it just leaves the distance

Hi

Yes, you could have had more gels but I am not sure they would have made a huge difference, perhaps a little less depleted, but  I think it was the distance and this will get easier. 18miles takes a lot of recovery, more so when it is a new distance!Well done on getting to this milestone.

04/03/2013 at 11:25

Mel

High mileage takes it toll and listening to your body is such a good skill to have. Sounds like your body is recovering and ready to start going again! 

04/03/2013 at 11:44

Hi Ruth,

After reading your last few posts on high mileage taking its toll, it makes me feel better. Yesterday, I went out to do my 20 miles and while I felt tired from mile 12 to probably 16 were the worst. I dont know if that was the impact of the long run the week previously of 18 (which I found ok) but when I finished rather than feeling great about the achievement, I just felt exhausted.  The thoughts of having to do another 20 miler is really not appealing. Should the next one be easier? This week is a rest week so much lower mileage, which might help.

Finally just to get your opinion on my nutrition during run (approx time 3.30hours)...I had one gel beforehand then 1 x isogel after 5, 12 and 17 miles 

1 x shot block after 8.5 miles, 13.4, 15  and 19 miles

I also sipped electrolytes drink on way round.

Lastly, what would you recommend as best food to eat over the last 2/3 weeks before race?

04/03/2013 at 19:30
Thanks Ruth
05/03/2013 at 19:24

Hi Mel, just dropped in for a catch-up. Hope this week is going well so far. Lots of early nights in the build-up to that peak long run at the weekend!

For everyone else, if at all possible, don't do 2 20 milers in a row if you aren't accustomed to running these distances. You need an easier week between them to aid recovery. You don't want to be feeling scared/daunted about forthcoming long runs.... leave that for the race!

05/03/2013 at 20:32
Sarah Conway 6 wrote (see)

Hi Ruth,

After reading your last few posts on high mileage taking its toll, it makes me feel better. Yesterday, I went out to do my 20 miles and while I felt tired from mile 12 to probably 16 were the worst. I dont know if that was the impact of the long run the week previously of 18 (which I found ok) but when I finished rather than feeling great about the achievement, I just felt exhausted.  The thoughts of having to do another 20 miler is really not appealing. Should the next one be easier? This week is a rest week so much lower mileage, which might help.

Finally just to get your opinion on my nutrition during run (approx time 3.30hours)...I had one gel beforehand then 1 x isogel after 5, 12 and 17 miles 

1 x shot block after 8.5 miles, 13.4, 15  and 19 miles

I also sipped electrolytes drink on way round.

Lastly, what would you recommend as best food to eat over the last 2/3 weeks before race?

Hi

Sam - has answered your first point which is great as I would have been suggesting that Sam answers this!

On you run you had over 100g of carbs which is enough for a training run and in a race I would not suggest going over 50g of carbs per hour for most (2 gels or 6 shot bloks per hour).

In really high mileage weeks, unless you have unnecessary body weight too lose, you should increase carbs but then as you taper reduce portions and snacks. Then 2-3 days before marathon go back to eating as if you where doing high mileage again. I know that is very vague but need more details on you and your diet to answer in any further detail.

Well done on getting those big miles done!

08/03/2013 at 10:56

Mel, I have sort of made a decision for you! about a restaurant the night before Marathon (6th) and in process of getting this booked. This is the one: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d3534218-Reviews-Il_Piccolo_Rifugio-Paris_Ile_de_France.html . The problem this year is that the area you are staying in only has small eating places so sitting 17 was the problem so close to the hotel but this restaurant has suggested that we book it all out for private eating (it only sits 23 in total anyway) and because it has good reviews etc I just thought this was really going to be the best option.. If you want to give me an idea of what you want (perhaps we can wait a couple of weeks before doing this) I have email contact so we can do this but they have Pizzas and topping of your choice (so little or no cheese could be an option!), pasta and regular tomato sauces or other typical Italian dishes (although would advice no creamy sauces!) and also do rice options. I have suggested we book for 6.30pm.

The night before you are not likely to be eating until 9pm as you do not arrive in Paris until 6pm, then go straight to expo so I think best suggestion is to eat  at one of the two Italians only 200-400m form the hotel. I still need to confirm they will take the number we need etc so trying to do this today. These two restaurants are ranked lower than the above by trip advisor but still good reviews. I will send link once I know these choices are going to be possible. Restaurant choices has been a little tricky this year,   as little website info on eating places in this area of Paris etc hence time this has taken and no menu available to give you links.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.