Asics training starts now...!!

Here we go......

61 to 80 of 466 messages
25/12/2012 at 16:29

Merry Xmas Mel, well done on the first week and reporting back. hope its not too difficult time for you ...

I use High5 gels with caffeine- not too thick. I ran the marathons with them in a hand 'donut' bottle (250ml) and the warmth of your hand and he shaking makes them even thinner and relatively more palatable

26/12/2012 at 13:41

Hey Mel....I hope you had a nice Christmas. good luck on your 2nd week of training. I hope the new trainers aren't giving you any problems! 

26/12/2012 at 15:13

Happy Christmas Mel, hope you had a great one! Any cool running presents?

31/12/2012 at 09:50

Hi Mel, I hope you and your girls got through what must have been a very emotional Christmas. Have been thinking about you and hope you are ok.

How has the running been going?

31/12/2012 at 11:17

Off the ball and been super quiet!! ...I knew it would be a tough week emotionally  but I think the only way of describing it is ' pants'.....!!! I have run when i have had to but other than that I think just existed....however.....I'm back.....and stopped all this feeling sorry for myself nonsense......!......

seren nos    pirate
31/12/2012 at 11:21

glad to see you back mel......must have been a hard week.....what have you got in store running wise for this week.......are you running today or rest day

31/12/2012 at 11:22

Morning Mel, Sorry to hear it's been so tough ... well done on getting through this week and getting all your runs done too. xx

31/12/2012 at 12:05

Its not been the easiest, but to be expected....every one told me it would be pants....!!

Thank you for all the 'gel' advice...I thought raspberry cement was my only option.....I have now bought a selection of bits to try......they do all look pretty gross though...!...will be interesting to see how they work....Ill probably find one that is palatable and then loose the wrapper..!!

Accel- good to hear from you....I hope you are training hard for trail walker...???....I do believe I will be slowing you down on that one!!....

And Ady.....I'm sure you look beautiful in Lycra....just don't listen to the children jibbing at you......!! they are just jealous...honest...!

31/12/2012 at 13:55

Heres the run down for the emotionally unstable Week 2 –

Monday

3mile jog – pace 11:15 – 12:15

Slow mooch…not a particularly inspiring route, although used the time to try lengthening my stride and concentrating on form. Struggled to keep the pace between 11:15 and 12:15 so averaged out between 11 and 11:40. 

3.18 miles – 34.02mins

Tuesday – Christmas

Swapped my rest days! ...my children would have lynched me if I went out today....Should have been doing a 5 Mile build up 

Wednesday

5 Mile Build up – (From 10:30 – 9:30)

Ohh I needed to get out…could have run forever today. Found it hard to stick to a schedule when all I wanted to do was thrash it out over the South Downs! But I was very good and stuck to the plan…trying to keep the route fairly flat and neutral so I can concentrate on pace. Enjoyed the build up and stuck to it to…. although maybe a little slower when turned into the wind along the sea front and almost got blown away!!.... Why was every one looking so happy!!! Grrrr….

5.1 miles – 48.55 mins

Thursday

I mile comfortable, 3 acceleration strides 5x 2 mins @ 7.20 – 7.35

2. 5 min jog in-between followed by 1 mile comfortable

I got my days mixed up and thought today was a rest day…only realized as I was settling down to get comphy for the evening that I had goofed up….!! So out I went!!.... even the dog was miffed with me!!.....( at least it wasn’t raining!!)

Not the easiest session on a deserted airfield with a friendly cocker spaniel as protection from the goolies….

The speed splits were fairly consistent considering my mind was on wine and a film….

2mins speed @ 0.29/0.26/0.27/0.26/0.26miles…The pace wasn’t as per plan….I just didn’t have it in me!!! 

Friday

3 Miles comfortable – (10:15 – 11:15)

A comfortable mooch along the seafront. Able to concentrate on form and extending my stride again. Tried out my new trainers that Asics had kindly sent…thumbs down…no good…just don’t feel right, pain in my left foot this time!!!......Wahhhhh

3.09 – 30.33 mins

Saturday – Rest

Sunday – 8 miles steady (9:15 – 10:15) As per plan I stuck to a flat terrain so I could maintain a steady pace. Seemed to naturally maintain a pace of 9:30, which I stuck to throughout. Back to my good old Brooks trainers!!....

No a splash of mud this week….what’s going on…I need to change that for next week before I become bored of pavement running!!!.....

8 miles – 1hour 16 mins

It’s been an odd week, I think maybe as emotionally I have been struggling that as come out in the routes I have chosen to run. I feel I have run this week because the plan has said so rather than running to clear my head and have a good cry!!.....I’m looking forward to the week ahead and putting enthusiasm back into my running with a bit of mud and some hills….!!

31/12/2012 at 13:58
Santa loves bacon wrote (see)

Happy Christmas Mel, hope you had a great one! Any cool running presents?

Hey Steve.....yeh I gave my girls some of the bits we got from the Ascis store and made them give them to me for christmas!!!!.....it was exciting all over again!!!.....Hope you were a spoilt boy!!!.....

seren nos    pirate
31/12/2012 at 14:46

great going to get those runs in............I did say on the general competition thread......if you have had no problems with your shoes in the past i would be reluctant to change them at the start of a marathon campaign..........I know they do the gait anaylsis and everything and I'm sure if you were having problems it would really help............

but i have always believed if it ain't broke don't mend it...

good luck for this week

31/12/2012 at 17:10

Mel -  well done on every level. I just can't begin to imagine..............

Great idea to give the girls the running kit to wrap. I think the most important thing in any marathon campaign is to get out there and do it when you don't want to. Having the RW/Asics team providing the plan takes away the 'what can I be bothered to do' feeling and means you have to. It still takes great discipline to do it though!

Everyone on here is right behind you and we all know you will do your family proud on 7 April.

31/12/2012 at 18:13

hey seren...I totally agree, and have a new pair of lovely brooks adrenalin waiting for me to pick up as we speak...!!.....I will still plug away with the Asics in the hope......you never know.....and the store once again have been fab!!!

Thank you DS2....Your right the plan gives you the disciplin to get out there,  but I missed the spontinaity this week.....but its a good trade off!!!.....off to hit the mud and the hills tomorrow though...!! What have you got planned this week??.....

seren nos    pirate
31/12/2012 at 18:31

The weather forecast says dry tomorrow so i will hopefully get out for a couple of hours on the bike......i don't mind running in the rain but hate cycling in the rain........swan and ran this morning so training is ticking over well for me

I always run in asics both my road shoes and trail shoes are asics and i love them.......but I always think that at the beginning of marathon training is a strange time to change.....

31/12/2012 at 19:21

Oh dry!!!.....not like today then!!!.....Sounds like you are busy with your training.....whats your pending goal...??.....yes I agree a strange time to change trainers, but the competition wasnt with Brooks...!!

31/12/2012 at 19:27
Plan for this week...had a bit of a change and swapped todays 4 mile comfortable to tomorrow as a group of us are going out to play!!.....

Week 3 w/c 31st December
Monday 4 MILE COMFORTABLE + 3 ACCEL STRIDES
Tuesday REST (HANGOVER ACCEPTABLE!)
Wednesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 3 X 8 MINS FAST INTERVALS WITH 90 SEC JOG RECOVERY. 1 MILE JOG (5 MILES)
Thursday REST
Friday 5 MILE HILLY
Saturday REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
Sunday 11 MILE COMFORTABLE
MILEAGE 25

31/12/2012 at 19:41

Good to see you're making progress Mel.

I believe that Asics 2160 are very similar to the Brooks Adrenaline.  They changed the design with 2170 , but I have been able to buy 2160's in the sales during the week - so they are still available (and they do a 2E width too).

It annoys me that shoe manufacturers change the shoes every damn year.  I'd buy the same model year in and year out - if I was able to .  I don't understand the mentality, because sooner or later they will alienate existing customers with an unpopular change.

Edited: 31/12/2012 at 19:42
01/01/2013 at 16:17

Happy New Year Mel. Excellent work on getting all your runs done, considering how tough it has been for you. Very inspiring indeed. Good luck on your week 3 training. I hope you're enjoying your rest day today. 

01/01/2013 at 17:04

Oh Tenjiso you sound like the lovely running man I buy all my shoes from!!!.....is your name secretly Geoff...?? 

Hi Ady....Happy New year to you to my lovely!!!!....Hope you have been out pounding the streets in your Lycra...!!

01/01/2013 at 17:24

Haha......I've been wearing nothing but lycra the past week or so......definitely makes me more aerodynamic..........but I still have to wear a running jacket to keep my modesty! 

61 to 80 of 466 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.