101 to 120 of 466 messages
07/01/2013 at 20:32
SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Here is the plan for week 4.....

PACE GUIDELINES
Jog (Recovery) = 11.15-12.15 mins per mile

Comfortable (Easy) 10.15-11.15 per mile

Steady = 9.15-10.15

Fast (Tempo) = 8.45-9 (Or for intervals 8.30-8.45)

Speedwork 7.20-8.25 per mile, depending on distance

Week 4 w/c 7th January
Monday REST
Tuesday 3 MILE JOG
Wednesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 6 x 400m (or 2 MINS) at 7.20-7.35 MIN pace with 2.5 min jogs in between each. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (4.5 MILES)
Thursday 4 MILE COMFORTABLE
Friday REST OR LOW IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
Saturday PARK RUN PLUS W-UP/C-DOWN
Sunday 3 MILE JOG
MILEAGE 19.5

07/01/2013 at 20:41

Hi Sam....!!

Yes its all fab!!!.....All signed up for Havant Park run on Saturday.....!Really looking forward to it.....what sort of pace should I be aiming for....??

And yes I have been rumbled, my rest days have indeed been rest days.....( I am in the busy life style category!!!) However.....lots of long walks on those days, and now the girls have gone back to school...(Yehhhhh.....) I will be getting out on my bike again....so I will humbly except my telling off!!!!.........

Could I just ask the reasoning behind not doing a long run this week...? the mileage is drastically lower and I was wondering why??

07/01/2013 at 21:07

Hi Ruth....thank you for that advice...I think i will have to print it off and keep it to hand so I can get my head round it!!....

Day to day eating.....ummmm....pretty hit and miss...typical day as of yesterday, baring in mind I did a 12 mile run so was super hungry!...maybe thats just an excuse as I am always super hungry...!

Porridge with coconut milk blueberries and a splash of honey

2x tea, one before breakfast one after....

Post run - banana and a coconut macaroon, handful of raisins and nuts, coconut water

Lunch - Sardines in brine on 2x wholemeal toast, curly kale crisps. 

Mid afternoon - carrot sticks and home made hummus,

later afternoon - Tea and a marsbar cocopop krispie

supper - Chicken and lentils baked in pesto, sweet potato, mushrooms, courgette, baby corn and broccoli

Lots of water throughout the day......I do like to drink a lot of water only. 

Hope you can shed some light on it....I don't normally eat marsbar cocopop krispies, but it just jumped out at me!!!!.....

Sleep is pretty hit and miss too!!!....I do aim to be in bed for 10/10:30, but depending on how active my brain is and how much of the world I am trying to put right, I can still be awake at 2 some night, other nights I'm asleep in minutes.....up at 7 mid week.....possibility of a lie in at the weekend if no early run.....I do try meditation and Reiki to sleep, but I think I have a lot to fix...!!

Thats a lot of info I just gave you!!!!....Hope I didnt go for over load???

Look forward to your comments.....!

07/01/2013 at 21:13

Hi Mel,

Love the idea of you being rumbled about putting your feet up on rest days!!

I would say you should be able to run under 26, based on your 10k PB, but I think it's best to just run your best and see how you do. 5km isn't far enough to need to 'hold back' in the early stages (though remember, it's not a sprint!)

The MyAsics programme originally had cutback weeks every fortnight (ie, a week hard, a week easy) but I've eliminated the fortnightly one so you get a cutback week every 4th week. It's sort of consolidation time, to recover a bit, allow the adaptations to fitness to take place and have a mental break. Not everyone needs a cutback week as often as this - it's the sort of thing you can only really know once you've worked with someone a while... The question to ask yourself is whether you feel fatigue accummulating, any niggles, relish the idea of an easier week? If no to all of these, then give me a shout and we can rethink.

07/01/2013 at 22:45

Evening Mel! Yum! Your food diary is making me peckish! It all sounds amazing - especially the chicken!

08/01/2013 at 09:25

Hi Mel

Just read through your log, and you have made an excellent start to your training, fitting in your training is never easy, but does get easier. Last December 2011 I started training with my running club in Lichfield aiming to run in the Stratford Upon Avon Marathon. Some people were doing London, and a few including me the Stratford.

It was really encouraging, and motivational running in a group, and we also had the support of a senior member of the club who prepared the schedules and run routes. 

All the people completed their training, and those running the London had a great time, unfortuantely on the day of the Stratford the weather was foul, and just before the start the full marathon was cancelled because of concern over the route and the weather conditions. It was very disappointing to say the least, it would have been my first marathon.

I hadn't planned to run a marathon this year, but....................your log has given me food for thought.

Keep going!!

08/01/2013 at 11:43

Best of luck Mel enjoy the training

08/01/2013 at 13:01

Wow Mel, you are going top of the class with that food diary... Even with the marsbar krispie wotsit! 

Let me know about how the training is taking its toll (see previous post above) Cheers!

Graham - that must have been SO disappointing - I heard that happened, but for your debut race.. just awful. I hope you feel inspired to give it another try some time. 

08/01/2013 at 19:39

Hi Sam......I polished my bike off today and resigned myself to the fact I cant rest now for another 12 weeks!!!.....I will even ride to running club....its too dark to run!!

As for the training taking its toll....Im not fatigued at all...( but I think thats because I rest on my rest days....!!)....and have to admit feel a bit disapointed I dont have a long run this week!!!.....and no niggles....I just want to go and play!!!....please!!...

Really looking forward to the Havant Park run on Saturday....even got a little group of hormanal 14 year old girls signed up.....its either that or they will lounge about in bed all day on facebook...!!!..

Hi Runny Run.....Im a bit of a chuck it together sort of person with my meals.....can be pretty hit and miss.....maybe the jam dounut let me down today...!! but I do try!!.....

08/01/2013 at 19:45

Hi Graham....How lovely to hear from you....Do it.... Do it!!!!!....You know you want to!!!!!....just think how you would feel post marathon!!!!...I hope next time you write on this thread its to say you have signed up for one and the training has started!!!!......

You must have been gutted about the Stratford Marathon....I cant even begin to imagine how awful you must have felt!......however you can rectify that this year!!!!.......

Hi Marie....thank you for your words of encouragement!!!!......they mean a great deal!!....do you have any running plans for the year ahead...??

08/01/2013 at 20:03

Sam...I just read Steve's thread....although I may have been rumbled using my rest days effectively...at least I haven't started smoking!!!!

08/01/2013 at 20:50

Mel - loving the food updates...I am with you in the "chuck it al in way of cooking"

Good luck with the group of hormonal 14 year olds!

Graham - which one are you thinking about?

I have had a bit of a sore neck since my 10 miler on Saturday, it is getting better but decided to do my 4 miles run on the dreadmill yesterday to ease the impact a bit!

08/01/2013 at 21:15
Mel - great to see you are doing so well thus far
09/01/2013 at 10:08

Hey, Mel, thanks for the words of encouragement, I very tempted, and am looking at the various marathons on offer!

Mad Welsh Woman!! , why are you mad??

I'm thinking about entering the Stratford Marathon again, although there are a few in Wales that I looked at last year, which were attractive. Isn't there one around Tenby?

I have signed up for the Stafford Half Marathon on the 17th March so I will be starting some regular training for that. As everyone knows, the Xmas break always tends to effect training schedules, and right now I haven't written one!!!

09/01/2013 at 11:28

Mel - a bit late to the 'party', but hoping to keep an interested eye on your training.  I would count myself as a busy lifestyle runner and have only raced as long as half marathon so far, but never say never as far as a marathon goes!

Looking forward to seeing how things go and picking up any tips and hints.

Good luck

09/01/2013 at 20:32

Hi Impish.....its always best to turn up late to a party!!!.....Iv only done half's too so I could only say go for it if its something you want..... dont put off your dreams, you never know whats round the corner......Never for one minute last year did I think this would be even a slight possibility....my plan this year had been to do half's and to improve 10ks......but I'm just loving this journey, its amazing!!!!......You just never know until you try....My sister has done 35 marathons now and and when she started during her first marathon she was being picked up by the sweeper and told to give up.....but she never did....and now I look at her with huge admiration and pride that she was so stubborn!!!....So go for it girl!!!!!..........I have a lovely plan you can follow!!!!.....

09/01/2013 at 20:52

Mad welsh woman and Graham.......aren't all welsh mad???......Well done on signing up for the Stratford half Graham.....Certainly a good start!!!!...have you thought about 'fan y big horseshoe race' its not a marathon, but a hilly challenge in wales which looks great!!!......

I think Ill need all the support I can get taking a group of 14 year old hormonal girls on the Havant park run....I'm just working on the fact I will hopefully run faster than them...!!!...but if there are any young boys around then 'help!!!'......

If anyone is going....then please come and say hello!!!!!!.....

Big HELLO Oscarr....lovely to see you!!!!!............I hope everything is OK with you!!......

09/01/2013 at 21:32

Hey Mel.....your food diary puts mine to shame. So much delicious, healthy food in there. Good luck with your run with the Havant Park run on Saturday. I expect you to show the girls who the fastest is!

10/01/2013 at 10:26

Hello Mel

Great to hear you're feeling good and itching for more! So, why don't you swap the 3 mile recovery run on Sunday for UP TO 7 miles - maybe off road with a few hills and a few friends 

Can't wait to hear how Parkrun goes!

Love the inspirational story about your sister. Good on her.

And well done Graham for signing up for another marathon!

10/01/2013 at 19:59

Mel.

Thanks for posting the food diary. This is really good but if you want to post another couple of days that would be really useful (only if don't mind/find the time). For you, the extras such as the crisps, coconut bar, chocolate will only be an issue for body weight.  I have not seen you but these are the sorts of things by cutting out  on a regular bases will help with dropping extra body fat which can help your running if you have it too lose and  motivated to do it. Perhaps consider a rule that you think would work for you for example, after long run   have lovely  treat  you enjoy or on a Friday night post work  but i understand that this may not be something you want to add to your list of things to consider at this time (I think  you are managing to do a lot at the moment and I do not want to add pressure so it is only a suggestion as  fundamental diet is good!).

Ruth

101 to 120 of 466 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.