Asics training starts now...!!

Here we go......

141 to 160 of 466 messages
15/01/2013 at 10:39

Mel, good morning. News just in! You are signed up for Dorney Lake Race Your Pace Half Marathon with the rest of the gang 

15/01/2013 at 17:00

Hey how's it going?? Curley kale what was it you did with it again? I know you posted it already once but..... well I can remember!

15/01/2013 at 19:16

Hi Ruth....Thank you for that input....I will post 2/3 times per week a full days diet to give a broader picture!.....

Will be interesting playing around with pre run food.....I have a long run on Sunday....I would normally have my porridge with coconut milk and a splash of honey, blueberries and maybe a banana depending on timings....with a couple of cups of water and a cup of tea.....maybe a coffee as well if I'm really pushing it....but then I do find myself trying to find a discreet tree!!!!.....I have to admit hydration pre run does worry me.....and is a big worry for the marathon!!!....I always need a wee at the begining of a run as I have over done the fluids!!!!....I dont think there will be many trees to hide behind in Paris...!!....so yes please...help!!!!

Todays diet....

Porridge with coconut milk and mango splash of honey

Apple, handfull of raisins and nuts

Wrap with hummous, chicken, peppers and salad

carrot cake!!

Nectarine and orange

2 low fat rich tea biscuits

Home made lasagna with salad, tomatoes, peppers and avocado

3x tea and 1x coffee. Plenty of water thought out the day

1 glass of red wine

Exercise - 1 hour swim

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 19:21
15/01/2013 at 19:23
Hi folks! Just looked through the thread, Mel your totally doing brilliantly! Well done!

As Sam mentioned me, I did as she said, and had a successful 1st marathon and a wonderful experiance overall.

Anyhow, Sam can I ask some advice, please? I've been following a sub-3.45 plan and was hoping for 3:40... But I've trapped a nerve in my back (hospital job with gas and air to move me, all very horrible). Anyhow, after nearly two weeks off, seem to be back in action, no pain, feeling in legs and all that. Do you think I should re-adjust target and/or go back a couple of weeks??? Bit confused.

Doing Brighton the week before Paris. Oh, knocked out a 1:43 half mid December. Thought I'd ask, thanks.
15/01/2013 at 19:29

ok have to admit....reading the conversation between Seren and Sam has really given me the eebi geebies!!!.....how IS my body going to cope with longer distances and recovery...????....for the first time Im scared!!!!....

15/01/2013 at 19:46
Mel: don't worry about it yet, no point. You have Sam guiding you, loads of time and your doing well with the progression. Your body WILL cope, because that's why we train, so our bodies can do it.

I was bricking myself, but was no need. Slight nerves, yes, but fear: no point your running Paris in April.
15/01/2013 at 20:19

Yep that made me laugh a lot!!!!.....tough really...man up...your doing it!!!!...I like the attitude...Thank you BoDuke!!!!....That will serve me right for having a woosey moment!!!.....

15/01/2013 at 20:21
Hey Green and white Tigger.......Curly Kale crisps...Yummy....just don't eat too many in one go or all you can taste is tamiri sauce when you go to bed...!!!!......I store mine in an air tight container and keep in the fridge.....Let me know how you get on......My friend, part time manages a health farm and this is one of their recipies......I have lots of other scrummy ones to try...!!!  Thank you Clive!!!!.......melaniejayne wrote (see

1bag Curly Kale

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp olive oil

3/4 cup cashew nuts

3 tbsp tamari sauce -( or soya sauce)

splash of agarve ( not really necessary) 

Wack it all together, grind your nuts,( oooeerrr...)  any flavouring, eg salt, pepper, cayane pepper.

Bake in a really low oven ( the lowest it will go) for a couple of hours or untill crisp....! they are yummy......!!! let me know how you get on!!.....

Have a good week!!!!!.....

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 20:27
15/01/2013 at 20:32

Oh BoDuke.....are you Craig from last year????......

Sorry about your back....that sound like serious pants!!!!.....I hope it all works out for you!!!.....

15/01/2013 at 20:41

Hi DS2.....thank you... your words of encouragement.... mean A LOT!!!! had a scary moment....but DoDuke sorted me out!!!.....

Seren.....I feel the same...how will I know how my body will cope with the longer runs and recovery??....this is where I have to put my faith in Sam and do as she tells me!!.....Its scary as I am a total unknown!!!!......But I'm flipping stubborn!!!.....

15/01/2013 at 20:55
Yep, this time last year I was in your position. Know totally what it's like inc standing around in the cold having pictures taken too.

Sure back is gonna be fine, trying to run tomorrow morning and see how I do. I've got a load of painkillers if it goes pairshaped
15/01/2013 at 21:00

Impish...Im so sorry about your knee.....I can only imagine how frustrated you are...your right, runners are not the best people to rest...however.....when its rainy and cold and miserable outside........

I remember my first planned 10k race with my husband, in Sept 11....it was our first race together which he had been really pushing me to do... However, I sprained my ankle just 2 days before the run....I was gutted....I couldnt even walk, let alone run...!!!...That was me out of running for ages!!!......Then last September(2012)  we were adament we would do the same race together, just a year later.......and yehhhh we did it....it was amazing!!!!.....it was like we came full circle....... He passed away only 3 days after that race but we did every step together and held hands thought!..

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/700233/gallery/ssp_de_21587_copy.jpg?width=350

16/01/2013 at 12:05

Mel - that's a great photo...what lovely memories for you and your girls.  My OH is responsible for my taking up running after a looonng break (since school cross country really!), but was given a terminal diagnosis (colon cancer with multiple liver secondaries) in 2008.  But, stubborn as he is, he's still here - not running though, just driving us all up the wall - but I wouldn't have it any other way and now use running as my 'me' time to get away from it all - really rubbish when I can't - we all suffer..if I'm in a bad mood, everyone knows about it.  I'm off to the gym to do some pilates at lunchtime - but it's NOT the same

16/01/2013 at 12:10
Mel: what can I say??? Heart and all that... Brilliant.
16/01/2013 at 15:11

Mel,

Great photo. Your husband is an inspiration.

16/01/2013 at 15:55

Hey Mel, you are going great guns so far, take heart and don't be scared 

Hey BoDuke, good to see you here - sorry about your back, and glad you are over the worst of it.  My advice would be to go back a couple of weeks in your training plan (mileage wise at least) rather than just picking up at where you should be now. But no need to adjust target yet - 2 weeks won't have had a significant impact on your fitness so as long as you can now get back to consistent training you'll be fine.

Impish, I hope your knee gets better soon so you can get some much needed me time

16/01/2013 at 16:41

It's in the oven! fingers crossed! x

16/01/2013 at 17:27

Hey Mel - great photo! You and your husband are an inspiration - found reading that quite emotional.

Impish - just read your post. Equally inspirational. isn't running the best way to deal with what sh*t life throws at us?

BoDuke - sorry to hear about your back. Hope it doesn't cause any long term problems. I sympathise - have had a major issue with my back for a number of years and 5 years ago had so much trouble that i couldn't walk, sleep, stand without it bringing tears to my eyes. Thankfully, after lots of core strengthening I'm fitter than in close on 20 years and have no pain. The more I train the better it is.

I thought mine would never recover but my physio assured me it would. She was right! Hopefully, you'll get no recurrence but if you do just keep the faith!

seren nos    pirate
16/01/2013 at 17:32

Mel..........

the long runs can be a strange one.........I can remmebr doing a 15 miler and the last mile killedme.........i couldn't imagine ever going further....then the next week i was doinga 17 miler .and found again it was the last mile that killed me....i was alright at 15............

so for me it was a mental thing..not a physical thing........

You will be fine.........You have enthusiasm and energy..........and remember that you will get there

16/01/2013 at 18:46

still in the oven, knicked a bit and it tastes like seaweed!

141 to 160 of 466 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.