Ask the Experts: Avoiding Injury Q+A with Sarah Connors

Quiz physio Sarah Connors on how to avoid injury on the way to race day

41 to 51 of 51 messages
24/02/2012 at 13:56

Hi Blck and white tabby,

as often as you can really twice a day is good, what you'll find as the muscle releases and the stretches get less effective you do them less which is fine, keep going as long as you feel the stretch working. You won't do too much.

Sarah

mcs
Hi sarah any advice for hamstring issue. Tore both 15 years ago playing cricket strangely and usually fine but when I hit the higher mileage the right one gets very tight and sore. Do the ice and rest stuff but cant shift it. Is it an old injury that didn't clear up properly do you think? If I was an elite I could have a scan but hey I am not!! Prior to 2010 VLM pulled it in training doing fast intervals rested up for a month then got going again.  Any suggestions appreciated thanks in advance.

Thanks Sarah.  Yes, I live in Edgbaston.  I'll be volunteering at Brueton parkrun tomorrow if you're there!

24/02/2012 at 13:58

Hi Sarah

I started three times a week following an app Couch to 5K so it was only 1 min runs but I have built up to 25 min runs which got me to 6k. Perhaps I should cut back a bit then

Thanks

Wendy

Sarah - thank you. Very helpful - I'll go and do some more stretches now then!

Hi MCS,

I wonder if it's all coming from your back esp if a cricket injury and strnge to tear both. Try some lower back / core strengthening work to see if that helps.

Sarah

24/02/2012 at 14:00

Hi Tom,

i'm not there, happy to help though or you could see the Uni physios. Ask Alice for my email if you want some help.

sarah

24/02/2012 at 14:01

Hi Alice,

i'm sure bridging and thomas stretch are still on website if not could you flag them up again thanks

sarah

24/02/2012 at 14:02

Hi all,

I'm afraid we may have to draw things to a close now. Thank you to Sarah for your sterling work answering questions - and thanks to all of you for supplying those questions!

Keep your eye  out - the rest of the ASICS PRO Team experts and Target 26.2 coaches will be online for webchats right through until race week.

Alice

24/02/2012 at 14:04

Thanks everyone and good luck with the training

Sarah

24/02/2012 at 15:00

ahhh, i think I may have missed this, but wonder if I can sneak a question in.......

training for VLM - recovering from shin splints.  Think I have now developed a swelling in the bursa on the inside of my knee that has now gone to the front (just below) knee -same leg as the shin splints.

Can I run with this?  I have no pain, just the swelling and a little tendor to touch. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 51 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.