Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,981 to 2,000 of 4,501 messages
05/11/2012 at 09:53
Ten - fantastic run especialy considering all your problems of late - the great thing about PB times is that once they are achieved no one can take it away from you so be very proud of your new status. So pleased for you.

Sleepy - " husbands humouring wives" - perish the thought !!
mcs
05/11/2012 at 09:57

CONGRATS to Ten great report and well done I can tell that meant a lot.  Comisserations to FH bad week for NY city all round and folk wont be wanting to go back next year based on this years mess!
Had a cracking few days in the Lakes, did ScaFell Pike and Great Gable in Wasdale where we were in a POD though others were tenting and we had the site pretty much to ourselves. Beautiful site National Trust and the trees were amazing colours. Will post a picture or two when I can. Snow on the tops and had to use the compass to get off Sca Fell Pike safely as no visibility and snowing hard. Great time had be all....
Well done to the runners on the weekend Mike and RR.  Did a six miler to work and then found I had no keys with me and the boss working from home good start to the week.....
Todays calendar thought.Sometimes being pushed to the wall gives you the momentum necessary to get over it.

05/11/2012 at 10:40

Thanks everyone .

XC sounds a lot of fun Mike.  Great achievement to be in amongst the points!

Anthony - go for it!   Perhaps we can leapfog our way to new highs.  Have you booked a marathon for next year yet?

LOL @ a 2:20 first marathon SB.  On a two lap course he would be close to lapping me!

This morning my legs feel pretty good.  A little stiff in the knees, but nothing out of the ordinary - no crunchiness at the moment.  I've taken my cod liver oil and it's a rest day today.  The kids are at home today, so I'm taking it fairly easy all round.

Now I have to resist the urge to book another half-marathon for next month.  Don't be surprised to find out I've caved by the time I post again   

It looks like yesterday's race wasn't a UKA event, so once again it won't improve my handicap   

Edited: 05/11/2012 at 10:46
05/11/2012 at 11:08

Reikki - I forgot to say that it is indeed a good event to enter.  It's a small, inexpensive event, but well organised with a stadium start/finish.  There were 651 registered runners to my knowledge (max is 1000), of which 446 took part and finished.  I assume 200 people rolled over in bed having looked out of the window in the morning .  It's a good course for a PB (I'm bound to say that).  It does undulate a bit, because it goes through a number of underpasses to avoid road crossings.  Overall about 400ft elevation gain.  It's not stunning, but pleasant enough through the Fairlands Valley Park.

Might see you there next year? 

mcs
05/11/2012 at 13:53

Went back a few pages to catch up and notice Oscarr's age thingy......I am not doing very well according to that thing.....Half marathon 59.09% and Marathon 51.4% if I have filled it in correctly. What do those figures mean? Sorry to be thick?

05/11/2012 at 14:33

mcs - age thingy? They are a way of allowing us old fogies to compare our times with the likes of the racing snakes. So if I run a HM with my son and finish in an identical time then the purists would say it was a deadheat. However, using the tables that you have just filled in, my son's age adjusted score might be 62% and if mine is 70% then I have had a superior performance relative to my age.

Technically, they are calulated from the world's best time for a given distance by someone of your age (in yrs) and there are male & female tables. So if the 60 yr old male best HM is 75 mins and I run 95 mins then my age % is  75/95 = 78.9%. If next week I run 90 mins then I am closer to the world best for my age and the new % is 90/95 = 83.3%

Many clubs have adopted these tables for inter-club championships as it levels the playing field - even between men & women.

If you want a fuller explanation google "parkrun" and look up Age Grade

mcs
05/11/2012 at 15:26

Appreciate that explanation Mike, thought it was something like that but you have put it very simply thanks. I obviously have a lot of work to do for my percentages are rather low!!  
Need to recharge my batteries for the head torch going to be a dark run home tonight.

05/11/2012 at 17:53

Good explanation Mike and watch out for the fireworks on way home, mcs.

Went to local Sweatshop today to have my gait checked with their new techno gizmo - pleasing to note i have a strong high arch and still a pretty neutral gait.  They made a set of inserts by heating and moulding to my foot on a "no pay if you don't like" basis and didn't like them so was not tempted to pay the £45 - the guy admitted that with a strong high arch most folk don't like the additional support the inner gives - i think you need your foot to be stong so wearing a shoe that means your foot has to do some work is good (however, if you have a low arch and get foot/ankle niggles then they may be worth a look).

Tried the new Nimbus (14) and the Excel 33's - Excels are lighter but nothing to make me change from Nimbus which i've had for a long time now.  So, check done and bottom line is no change so will find a reasonably priced Nimbus 14 (Sweatshop £130, Amazon £94 !!!!!).

05/11/2012 at 23:06

Oscarr Interesting comments on the foot balance shoe thing and the gait testing. I think its a good service that is offered in the store. I went there last year and my flatter feet, and over-pronating running style led to some supportive trainers, that immediately improved my running injuries. I bought the insoles, but I do think they are expensive, if I could buy them for say 20 pounds, I'd be keen to get another pair.
This evening I did another type of shoe testing. There was a post on Reading sweatshop about testing shoes for Mizuno, who have an office in Reading. They wanted volunteers, so I went along to test their 2014 models

I found the experience interesting, they had about 10 volunteers when I was there testing two similar looking shoes and two different looking shoes. 4 in all, which we asked to run for 5 mins in and then write down our comments.

Mizuno Wave Prophecy and Mizuno Wave Precison. I use the Wave Nirvana and Wave Inspire. They felt a bit different. I liked that they had loads of shoes on display, and golf clubs and lots of other Mizuno things. I'd like to work there, but I don't think they need someone with my skills

What did I get out of it I hear you ask - a tech T shirt, and entry into a draw for running gear  I gave my top to my wife I have loads! 

06/11/2012 at 00:28
Anthony - good stuff - I also think the Reading Sweatshop provide a great service and have shopped there a lot - the guy who dealt with me today was very knowledgeable and honest. I normally buy my running shoes in the post Christmas sales at sweatshop but the price amazon are doing at the moment is too attractive.

Pleased you enjoyed the mizuno trials.

Will see you at track on weds if you get down.
06/11/2012 at 04:02
Hi guys. Limited on time a i seem to be shopping lots and going to shows on Broadway !! not run in NY, but did walk at least 12 miles Sunday !! will update in full when im back, i have heard that the cancelled marathon came from higher places than the mayor, the White House !!!

Take care all.

FH

P.s - would be great to come home to.news of bootcamp !
06/11/2012 at 07:08

Hi guys - new to the forum.  Reading all the great comments you all post.

06/11/2012 at 07:36

Ten I've not entered a marathon yet. Going to see if I win the 26.2 prize first

06/11/2012 at 08:21

FH - and there was I thinking the "Great O" was running for president!

06/11/2012 at 08:31

Morning!

now here's a question I've always pondered as a lover of the Nimbus model.  Plural - nimbuses or nimbii

Interesting that you spurned the 33s oscarr - really must go and try some on myself sometime.  The shops don't really do themselves any favours pricewise do they?  I don't mind paying a bit extra for human contact but not THAT much.

FH - now that'd be good karma wouldn't it - you probably won't hear until the week after closing date though if I remember rightly.  I guess they need time to look through the entries!

Yoga and a MEP (that's most efficient pace - ref: you'll have to read Slow Burn to see what that's all about LOLOL) run for me today.  It's really icy outside just now but my tickly cough has all but gone so it's plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaytime whoop whoop

06/11/2012 at 09:00

Hi FH! 

Having read the quote from the NYC mayor, I'm afraid I share the Oscarr/SB cynical view over the apparently late decision to cancel.

There are tens of thousands of people who come from around the world here to run,” he said. “We’ve decided that the marathon will go on. The bottom line is, some people said you shouldn’t run the marathon, but there are an awful lot of small businesses that depend on these people. We have to have an economy.

The Expo must go on.

06/11/2012 at 09:12

My knees feel great this morning!  I mean the best they have felt in months!  Like normal knees again.  I wonder how long that feeling will last?  Is running a half-marathon the cure???

All being well I'll do a few easy miles on the treadmill later today.

06/11/2012 at 10:07
Ten - a physio may not agree with me but sometimes a hard race can sort out something that has niggled for a while. It's a great mental boost cos you feel you have smashed through it. Doesn't work for major injuries though. Maybe we should ask Dr. Sleepy ??

Matt Wilton - a warm welcome to our little forum.
mcs
06/11/2012 at 10:44

Nine miles yesterday and another 4 this morning very icy and cold. Sometimes Ten a good run does you good, after the GNR my back was ace for a month. Starting to feel sore again as I up the mileage. Reckon the taper followed by the race and a few days off helps, just a change of routine.  Sometimes when training each week you tend to focus on niggles and injuries that aren't too bad they just prey on the mind. All the best for recovery. Running in long skins at the moment as the Ron Hills died after four years..........they are good like em, though I do wear shorts on top to avoid embarrassing the kids.
Safe journey home FH......sounds like a tough time for the New Yorkers who have no homes or power.

06/11/2012 at 11:07

Ooops yep - meant to say hello to Matt also (sorry was still half asleep and trying to keep my eye on 2 dogs - dog sitting for next door today - a lovely golden retriever who's a bit too old to cope with Rascal trying to play box with her - bless - they've settled down nicely now though).

No - don't ask me - not allowed to diagnose! Ever, ever, ever LOL.  On a personal opinion level - if there's no pain or inflammation... how can it be a bad thing! Let's see how you are in 72 hours - fingers and toes are crossed that once any DOMS settles - you're still fine. I'm with the guys - sometimes a good run does seem to sort you out  - a good speedwork session often leaves my legs feeling fresh if I've been doing lots of base work!  Bizarrre eh!

1,981 to 2,000 of 4,501 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.