Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,121 to 2,140 of 4,505 messages
15/11/2012 at 10:15

Choisty - you've pretty much summed up why, for the first time in my life, I shall not be voting.  I've only received communication from one potential candidate (conservative), full of the usual rhetoric.   Plus, living in the vicinity of wannabe Nadine Dorries and criminal Margaret Moran is enough to put anybody off voting for life.

....rant barely started.

mcs
15/11/2012 at 10:20

A little three mile jog to work. Got cold sores on the lip so feeling sorry for self this morning. Bit run down..... Daughter went out and did another mile and a half last night with OH. She is in the school cross country and loves her sport, does hockey and netball and wants to get in the top ten for the cross country........only 11 very proud of her, not her maths though!!! Cant be good at everything!!!

15/11/2012 at 11:01

Ten...you lucky thing what a pair

MCS...fantastic to have a daughter like that pass on my congratulations to her for sporting endeavour...the key is the effort not the result

mcs
15/11/2012 at 16:38

Any one use skins? Got some long leggings last winter and just started wearing them, very comfy and seem to keep the legs from getting too stiff.  Cheers C......

15/11/2012 at 17:02
mcs wrote (see)

Any one use skins? Got some long leggings last winter and just started wearing them, very comfy and seem to keep the legs from getting too stiff.

I've got some Nike Drifit tights I bought in a summer sale and then forgot all about.  I've only worn them a couple of times, but it seemed to me that they stopped my thighs from cramping up on some cold runs.  

mcs
16/11/2012 at 09:26

Whispers quietly so not too many people hear but the Grindleford Gallop entry is open and is three quarters full already so get your entry in if you want to enjoy some mud and great views. Happy Friday all.

16/11/2012 at 10:04

Hi all 

No running for me since Monday, have been in the pool and on the bike, but am off today on my Running and Pilates weekend which will have runs x more than one each day, and pilates daily, plus there is a gym and spa.  Can't wait. 

This is kind of my birthday treat, going over to dark side of FV55 is something to celebrate!

SB - about the races, I have been able to use them as training runs.  I probably didn't need to do a race pace 20 and race 3 of the halfs though, so I am listening to alternatives because I do want a cracking result, even if it is amidst the London throngs.

I take Vit D3 2 x 25ug year round, check it out via a search [rather than an advert] for multiple benefits.  I also use a lightbox at this time of year.  

FH - You are so committed in every definition I can think of, and you have shown endurance and resilience that surely deserves recognition.  Good luck for the 9th!

mcs - I have Skins - they do vary though.  The most expensive recovery ones I have are gloriously comfy but there is little compression effect, whereas the plain ones really do feel like they make a difference both during and after.

A lot of it might be in the mind, but I enjoy the science part and am fairly convinced by it, in fact I had some really small 3/4 tights that had a brilliant compression effect long before I heard of the venous return aspects etc  

I MIGHT still do the Bedford Half Ten and BoD - you are storming Bo!

Hope everyone has a fab weekend. 

16/11/2012 at 10:42

RR enjoy the weekend that sounds ace and I think running is glorious for embracing ageing, I am actually looking forward to my 40th in feb so I can go pot hunting and set a whole new set of PB's!

MCS, love skins I have 2 pairs of shorts and 1 pair of longs, I use the longs when required, e.g. when I race two days in a row to help recovery.  The shorts are ace for racing in wet conditions as they hold zero water, I found this out when I used them for steeplechase for the first time.  I don't know whether this is good or bad but they have no thermal qualities what so ever so do not keep you warm in winter.

16/11/2012 at 11:37

Morning all

It's Friday so in my world that means DOM, da DOM dom DOMMMMs.  Crikey this going to the gym is way harder than doing a bit with dumbbells by myself LOL.

Yesterday's favourite moment was when a spider walked across the mat right under my nose just as I was struggling to do one of my pathetic attempts at a press up - that got my arms straight I can tell you! And caused some merriment! Harumph

Also attempted one legged burpees (with the spare leg suspended) - I was sooooooo good at those too (oh look my nose is growing).  Bring back lots of miles all is forgiven!  Looking forward to all this strength work kicking in and making me turbocharged but for now I shall stick to walking down stairs side ways for the next couple of days

Hey oscarr - has your man flu gone yet?  Feeling any better? Results link is over on the tvxc thread - they've not gotten their website sorted yet! Not long til you get back on a plane ...

Happy Birthday reiki - sounds like heaven - bet you're gonna have a fab weekend - wish we could all be there with you (though that might not be so heavenly in your world LOLOLOLOLOL).  Remember age is just a number!  If I can emulate half of your recent results when I grow up I will be a very, very happy runner!  Vitamin D ordered and researched - thanks xx

16/11/2012 at 11:54

Ha!  I would love it if you lot pitched up! 

SB I have been doing my glute med exercises daily for 12 days already!  I usually only do the strength stuff once, can't do it, well I knew that, abandon entire awful experiment.

This time I'm just doing one little series, it should help with hip, knee etc..

I am in awe of your range of skills!

16/11/2012 at 12:09

mcs - thanks for the heads up about GG, i checked their web site on Sunday and the entry was not open so to fill up to 75% in a few days is awesome - will go on now and enter

SB - flu really took hold this week and peaked in its awefulness about Tuesday but has subsided since then - ran on Thursday morning but did not feel good.  Will prob run tomorrow.  Getting excited about Cyprus now - fly on Weds.  Brilliant run by "fly me to the moon" in the services event in Holland.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY REIKI  

16/11/2012 at 12:30

Just entered Grindleford Gallop, Saturday 9th March - £14.  344 places gone out of 600 max so skates on if you want to enter.

16/11/2012 at 13:45

Hi oscarr - that's good news!  Glad you're feeling a bit better - you need to eat more cake at the next event to protect you!! Though not sure I'm so happy that you kicked my butt by 3 minutes WHILST ILL - now that's just not gentlemanly hee hee

BoyWonderPants says thanks - the 3 Polish airmen that beat him are all full-time athletes apparently so he did well just to hang on to their coat tails! The winner clocked a 2:07 marathon this year too - it's just mind blowing really! Really hope he can hang onto his form in Leeds this weekend (Abbey Dash 10k - ridiculously fast course if anyone ever wants one).

reiki - trust me - I have no skills LOLOLOLOL but hopefully I will develop some over time!

mcs
16/11/2012 at 13:47

Bargain price as they have flapjack and stuff at checkpoints.......the guy off Emmerdale Tony always runs this race.....he mentioned it this week on his Tony's Trials piece on Marathon Talk.
Respect to SB for all the core work, hate doing that stuff, not really disciplined enough to do it. Should do more being a figure of leaness and little muscle being a desk jockey. Up to 20 miles running this week and doing a longish one Sunday then next week going to hit the schedule..
Wish I was off to Cyprus sounds good a nice bit of sunshine. Wonder if anyone has had a call from RW Towers yet? Not me

16/11/2012 at 14:18

I'd vote for you mcs - if that makes you feel any better!

Am looking forward to the Grindleford tales already - will feel a bit left out on the day but I shall revel in your stories instead!

mcs - that's the only reason I signed up to a gym course - there's absolutely no way in hell or heaven I would do this to myself without external pressure!

16/11/2012 at 14:19

Choisty - just entered the Combe Gibbet 16m xc on 7th April.

16/11/2012 at 15:51

Oscarr, I will see you there it will be my last long run before London

On core work, I've never done any, does it help rather than going for another run?

16/11/2012 at 15:59

That's the ultimate question!!!  Some would say yes (including Ben) - it helps prevent injury and ensures better form and therefore efficiency.  The specificity purists would say no - train for what you want to do!  Me - I'll take the mid-line and do a bit of both!  But then it all comes down to time constraints I guess

16/11/2012 at 17:37

Choisty - core work - i think (not sure) it was Steve who talked about the importance of a strong core in that when you get tired at the end of an endurance event if the lower back weakens then more strain is placed on the quads and hammies from the resulting loss of running form.  I think your core strengthens during long runs as well as exercises (don't know what the benefit ratio is) but common sense would tell me that you would have to run a very long way to get similar benefit from 10 mins exercise work.  So, for me, core exercises are an essential part of supporting my running and can be done quickly after the recovery runs. 

16/11/2012 at 17:51

Oscarr, I spoke to Sarah about it and she was an advocate of core, but conceded that throwing small children around and chopping logs every couple of weeks, plus building works should be enough, plus my history of playing any sport I can lay a hand, boot, bat etc on could be the reason I don't get injured easily...with that said I do wonder about the running effiecincy thing and slowing at the end of a marathon

Must try harder

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.