Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,141 to 2,160 of 4,505 messages
16/11/2012 at 17:54

when you say throwing children round.... are we talking 'toss the caber' fashion?  LOL - uh oh - comedy cartoon versions of bootcamp springing to mind!

16/11/2012 at 18:09

Choisty - mind you don't get the children and logs the wrong way round 

16/11/2012 at 18:29
I 'bench press' mine. I'll be superman by the time he's 18.
16/11/2012 at 20:10

I did my "cor!" work looking at Bo derek and Daisy Duke.  Oh wait... that was another thread 

17/11/2012 at 07:31

Hello all

Not been around for a while, so busy with work and family. My middel daughter is still unwell, not been in school for a year now 

My ankle injury seems much better, slowing getting back into running, but I'm so slow! I have been doing some gym stuff and also been rowing quite a bit!

BoD - good to see you back on track! I am still aiming for Brighton too, but there is no way I will be anywhere near your time!

Lovely to catch up on here, I didn't enter the 26.2 comp, looking forward to seeing who got through though!

17/11/2012 at 07:48
MWW: hello! *waves* brilliant, your at Brighton too! Gonna be a little crowd going on there.

I'm off for a four miler now. Then got to figure out what to do with The small one while my wife does work... Trains, planes or automobiles????
17/11/2012 at 16:41

Glad you're feeling better Oscarr, and it does sound like you have more non specific core work built in than most Choisty, but I am chastened by the example of my brother who had zero injuries for 40 years of running, marathon a month, and yet succumbed eventually to the dreaded wobbly bottom. 

Speaking of which I'm on my runnning and Pilates weekend, and the Lahars have been spectacular.  We have been along the river at Marlow in the mud , and round fields, through a park with a giant Sir Steve in it, in forests.  

Last night we just did a quick 5K as it was getting dark, this morning I went with the beginners for a 3 miler [same course pretty much], then joined the immediate intermediate 7 miler, all very manageable for me for pace, and quite a contrast with Sam's workshop two weeks back, i.e. not as runnery.  We've just had a lovely 90 min mat pilates session, and I'm about to have a massage.

In between times I've been in the sauna and hot tub a few times; it really is a very relaxing break, with lots more of the same to come tomorrow, including a hilly offroad mudbath.  Loving the scenery and the calm.  and someone apologised when their dog got in my way.  They did not shout *get over yourself* or threaten me at all.   

The food is very artistic too.  I do eat a lot more than most women so luckily I anticipated [knowing there was a fridge in the room helped], and brought a bag of essentials along to supplement these tasty morsels [e.g. 3 scallops on a teaspoon of pea puree, 5 green beans]. 

17/11/2012 at 19:27

Second XC race ticked off the list today - Berks, Bucks & Oxon XC at Haywick Pk, Maidenhead. First shock was realising the age groups stopped at V40 so I was up against the "boys" - well only for about 50 metres after the start and then that was it!

The first 400m was at 6:15min/m and still at 6:30 min/m at 800m which I thought wasn't going to last as that is faster than my 5k pace - and it didn't. Eventually I found that a pace of 7:15 min/m was manageable and I picked off a few (younger) stragglers and managed a negative split over the 5.6 mile (9km) course with a HR in cruise mode, so all in all a good endurance building tempo run.

Finished 3rd in our depleted team of 5 (1 short to score in the Championship - boo), and pleased with my afternoon's work. As a Club we had a 3rd in the under 13 girls a 4th in the under 15 girls and another 4th in the under 17 boys - so a good return.

17/11/2012 at 21:42

Sounds like a pretty good outing Mike all in all!

My 2nd Lincs League event tomorrow - I shall resist tempting fate and just turn up for a training run. Anything better than last will be a bonus at the moment.  Not complaining though - I've done twice as many (and a few) events as last year so I'm very happy with that for a year's work.

Back to my 12 races a year next year though I think - it's not like me to have my enthusiasm wane - and whilst I'm still loving my running I just can't quite seem to push myself at the mo.  Am sure it's only a phase though...

Maybe I need a reiki style break to revive myself - sounds gorgeous!

18/11/2012 at 09:58

Reiki - you pamper yourself girl - sounds like a great break-away weekend

Mike - great xc'ing - these events are great for the winter strength training and lots of fun really

Sleepy - hope it's not too cold for you this morning 

18/11/2012 at 10:25

oscarr: its freezing!

Guys, HELP!!! Having a crisis. Went out for a 10 miler this morning, but turned around after 3 and only made 6 in total. My legs felt like lead and had pains in my calves. Felt stiff this morning getting out of bed and when I started, thought it would go after the first mile or so, didn't, thought I'd try slowing down, didn't work.

Just had the worse (couldn't call it a run, but whatever the hell it was) of my life.

Panicking, got a half in three weeks and meant to be building up to mara training after that.... Not had an injury before...

18/11/2012 at 10:43

Bo - try icing the areas that hurt for a couple days then do some stretching for a couple days then start running again - this is a classic soft tissue injury remedy.  If it's simply delayed stiffness then probably need some heat to get rid of the lactic.  Try and decide which it is so you use the right treatment.  Hope this gives some food for thought.

p.s. yes, it's freezing but not a cloud in the sky - wonderful!!!

18/11/2012 at 10:46

Bo Not sure what injury you have, but given it wasn't a stabbing pain, doesn't sound like you've pulled a calf muscle. I've pulled a calf muscle twice and couldn't put any weight on it - never mind run, was on crutches for 3 weeks each time. Just give it the old RICE treatment and cross your fingers.
Re my running for anyone that's interested. Went to RRR a week last Wednesday, felt poorly on the Thursday, and haven't recovered yet. I tried running yesterday, did about 6miles at a steady pace (run to my local parkrun and then the parkrun) but walked back as I was feeling stomach cramps.
I'm still not feeling great today - so I'm not getting the running in that I really want to do. I'm hoping to get up and running soon and to enter some races but its frustrating not being well enough for it. 

18/11/2012 at 11:54

Anthony - i'm also struggling to get rid of after effects of flu so i think there is a lot going round at moment - i'm just about to go out for a gentle 10 miler to see how things are.

18/11/2012 at 12:37

Bo don't panic - think it through......

On a freezing morning were you wearing enough on your legs? Did you warm up? Did you speed walk first to get the circulation going? Did you go off at full pace or lean into it with baby steps to loosen up feet & ankles first etc etc......

It just seem to me that you have tight calves so a hot bath, not ice, then some gentle stretching should see you right as rain and one missed session is not going to trash your HM plans.

I missed 6 weeks in the lead up to Abingdon mara and still got round in a decent time....trust your basic conditioning.

18/11/2012 at 14:20
Bod don't worry we all have these days, my only concern I hat it is the start of a cold.

RR sounds great, I could do with a massage

Mike good running the set for vets is the same as hants, just looking at the mo ready for next season

Just got back from Gosport Half and I am coming back to form with a 1:16:56 very happy as I was looking for sub 1:18. Feeling good too, now for a nice cuppa
18/11/2012 at 15:06

Bo - try all the above - and if all else fails - go get a massage (or come and see us and I'll practice on ya!)

Just in from the second of our xcs - really struggled to get out of bed this morning bit so so glad I did!  What started out as a day with ice on the bedroom veluxes turned into the most beautiful sunny day.  The course was a cheeky little number with hills at every twist and turn in a gorgeous part of the world (Lincs Wolds).  The ladies from the club really rallied today cos none of us really felt like it but we turned it into a giggle fest and ran as the "Green Sky train" - it was possible one of my favouritest xcs in the end - loved it!

And just to top it all off - as I came in the door I got a text from Ben saying he'd just run 30.02 at Leeds - so so very proud - it's a bit bittersweet for him at the mo as his goal has been a sub30 10k for as long as I've known him.  So close!  I will keep reminding him though that he CAN do it and by the looks of it - it will happen sooner rather than later (especially as his calf is still not 100%)

18/11/2012 at 15:33

Sleepy - for Ben - that's 4:48 mpm pace for that 10K - i couldn't even think that fast .

Like the sound of your xc.  Just come back from 10mile woodland run in glorious sunshine, just wonderful.

18/11/2012 at 16:40

Days like today - they're why I run oscarr!

Well done also to Choisty - hope you're having some cake with that tea - you've earned it

18/11/2012 at 18:08
SB sounds great fun today, hope Ben makes sub30 he will probably go under lots after that, still 30:02 is amazing. The gosport half does wonderful cake in the goodie bag, which was inhaled straight after the race
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.