Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

201 to 220 of 4,501 messages
09/05/2012 at 13:17
Oscarr download episode 47 from the audio archive or iTunes. Its by professor Tim Noakes and is about central governor theory. It's brilliant

All - has anyone read Born To Run I'm about 200 pages in now. It's really good.
09/05/2012 at 14:35

Hi Luke,

Read it a while back, great read and some interesting stuff in there too !  Must read it again, I think its one of those books that needs to read twice.

Oscarr, catch you soon.

FH

mcs
09/05/2012 at 15:09

Read it great read keep going Luke.

09/05/2012 at 17:39

WW - wait til you get xray results and a proper diagnosis cos doctors tend to air on the pessimistic side to begin with which may have been the scenario he/she painted on the phone - i've heard the guy who has got world records for number of marathons done extol the virtues of aqua running as a good cross trainer and it really can keep your cardio fitness levels up and some strength in the upper legs; try it with a float around the middle and run for a few minutes cos apparently its really hard work

mcs - listened to Tony trials about the Manch marathon this morning and his account of the ginger bread man is funny - did like his marathon prayer though, so many truths in it

Luke - will have a listen to no 47 soon 

09/05/2012 at 17:44

Reckon Bo is hiding in case i come for his knee caps with a shotgun !!!!!!!!

mcs
09/05/2012 at 19:22
Will check out 47 too. Was it just leg fatigue that did for u in the last three miles oscarr? You were on course for a time you wanted up to 22 was it. My legs are my weakness along with a long back and my heart rate can be low but the legs pack up around 21 miles. Should have done some weight training did Lee and Colin do any gym work in pre.Paris build up?
09/05/2012 at 19:47

mcs - Cheetahs seem to do okay with spindly legs and a long back 

Today I was scheduled to run 3 miles easy, so I ran 4 miles at the "upper end" of easy  Felt good afterwards.

I want to push on a little, because I have some enforced rest looming following some minor surgery I have booked next week.  Begins with "V" and ends with ouch .  No running for at least a week, depending on which scare stories I care to read.  I had hoped to get the job done soon after the marathon, and I guess this is relatively soon.

Anyway, I hope to get up to about nine miles before I have to do the John Wayne strut.

09/05/2012 at 20:49

Ten - you really are tempting me big time to revert to the school of hard jokes with that last post - i did it many years ago and all i can say is get lots and lots of very tight fitting undies cos you'll need them for at least a week - tee hee!!! - and you thought the last few miles of a marathon was tough ????

mcs - i was still on for a PB at mile marker 23 and had enough energy but he legs just gave way on a small up and down section at that point which was tough then to get going again but fast walk and jog was OK

Just listened to Tim Noakes on 47 - food for thought but the one thing that bugs me right now is that even he says do NOT run the distance in training BUT how else are you going to train your mind that you CAN do 26.2 without doing it ?????

09/05/2012 at 21:44
But Oscar you CAN do it...you've done it 10 times!! The route at Sunderland was hard in those last 3 miles. I think I know the up a d down section you mean. Just after the turn around point? Up the tree lined street before coming back downhill and joining the sea front road again? That was hard. I walked there. And then there was the long slow hill up to the 25 mile mark. That was tough too. It was a hard route. I think sometimes we over analyze too much. I also think the out and back nature of that last bit was hard. I never do well on out and back routes. It could be something just as simple as that.

You must not beat yourself up about it. Draw a line and move on. Oh and don't forget you are awesome!!!
09/05/2012 at 23:35

Rachel - my thought on Tim Noakes above was about doing the race distance in training - he talks about the "central governor" being the mind controlling the body and i was just musing that he also says don't do the full distance in training so it was just a question that maybe the mind needs convincing in training as well as in a race - probably confusing things here, sorry!

Yes, that was the up and down bit where i had to stop - the up was OK but half way down the down bit was where my legs just said "no more".  Don't worry, i've already moved on.

mcs
10/05/2012 at 07:52
Cheers Ten having a real lol this am at your post. My mind won't let me do that op never mind the body!
the c is for cheetah from now on thanks for that will now try to run on all fours!!
Oscarr the same thing happened to me in my first gnr a big big guy stopped in front of me I slammed into the back of him and it brought me to a stop couldn't get going for a couple of mins and bang there goes the time.
10/05/2012 at 09:01
Ten...I had the snip, a few years back, then went on a winning streak of 5 races, including a couple of steeplechases during the summer so see it as a running aid, I was back out on the trials in 5 days and hurdling in a week.

Oscarr, my most successful marathons have included a marathon distance training run and quite quickly around the 3:10 mark. I think it helps mentally going into the day as you don't fear the distance and it doesn't seem to have a detremental physical effect. I know I'm swimming up stream on this but there are a few of the real elite that do it too. Did you do it on the build up?
10/05/2012 at 09:12

Morning all!

oscarr - is it something to do with the overload/recovery within training threshold - better-to-be-fresh-on-the-start-line type thinking?  Rachel has a point - of which I will remind you if and when I ever do my 10th one! On reflection I'm beginning to wonder if my first one went so well as it was on the back of a year or so worth of big, hill walking days.  9 hours of walking has to build up some serious endurance - haven't done so much in the last couple of years - I shall test the theory...

Ten - hope all goes well and that the boys play nicely (naughty oscarr/mcs! LOL)

Luke - excellent book eh!  Yip I've read it too!

Time for me to pack the camper ready for our trip - happy running/resting everyone - catch up in 10 days or so!

10/05/2012 at 09:55

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna focus on Choisty's post.  Having it done is going to turn me from a back-of-the-packer into an elite runner (if my interpretation of his post is correct).

10/05/2012 at 09:56

Choisty - max i did in training was 22 miles done 4 weeks before (week 12) - did this at target MP+30secs with the last 2 miles at MP.  Before that had done 20 (week6) and 21 (week8) both at MP+ 45secs.  22 is most i've ever done in a build-up.

I can understand the benefits that you mention - also, there are a few people who do marathon races in quite quick succession.  The thing i have to think about is my personal recovery time - i am certainly no elite athlete and i know that i need longer recovery times than younger, stronger folk - i am very tempted though to do a full distance run at a very slow LSR pace early in the next full campaign. 

The legs feel remarkably loose now after Sunday so recovery has been good.

10/05/2012 at 10:43

Oscarr - I don't think I fully understand your planning.  I thought your heart and lungs were holding up fine, but your legs gave out?  I would have thought it makes more sense to add strength training to your current routine.  Perhaps weight training, but hill work being more specific to your needs.  I don't see how running longer earlier in your routine will help when you already know you can complete the distance.

Disclaimer:  I know nothing.

P.S.  Foos your legs (Tony's Trials)

10/05/2012 at 11:10

Ten - i told you i was confused and it shows dosen't it - said i needed a few weeks to think things through and reckon that's just what i should do - so, no more planning posts until i start to make sense to myself, promise

Chop, chop....

10/05/2012 at 12:14

Oscarr, for Paris 1 did 10 runs >20 miles, 3 x 20, 3 x 21, 1 x 22, 2 x 23 & 1 x 26.24.  Admittedly I got lost on the 26, it should of been 25.  I think the strength in the legs comes from the miles, by marathon day I felt (and still do) that I could run forever.  Also I was doing another long run on a Wednesday of between 8-14 miles.  But I am a high mileage kinda guy and don't seem to suffer the over use injuries associated with it.

Ten, yep you'll be winning races before you know it! <disclaimer...all claims maybe false>

10/05/2012 at 12:21

Thanks Choisty, impressive training.

10/05/2012 at 12:54

Oscarr, I just love to run

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.