Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,221 to 2,240 of 4,505 messages
21/11/2012 at 14:14

hey reiki - I love my inov8s for off road but they're a bit narrow so depends on your feet!

Hope you get sorted soon!

21/11/2012 at 14:15
Tenjiso - Ooh thanks! I get a blister on my nose from mine sometimes as it slips down so have been meaning to look at getting a new one.

ReikiRabbit - that sounds really painful! I've just put a deposit down on some Lahars too! Eek! Did you have a previous problem with your toe?
21/11/2012 at 14:20

Reikki - I've got the Asics Trabuco trail shoes, which I bought because they were structured like the 21xx series.  Sad to say I don't recommend them, though.  Every time I wear them I have skin rubbed off in a new place - which is not a problem I've had with the road shoes.  I'd say they were too snug too - which seems to be the way Asics are going in recent revisions.  I recently started a thread to find out alternatives to Asics because of the gradual narrowing of the fit - but it was bad timing because nobody wants to diss Asics when they have enetered the competition.

I might try the 2E fit next, unless I find a suitable alternative.  I loved the 2130's and it winds me up that the shoes have to be revised every single frickin' year.  I haved verged on hatred of my 2160's, which is why I'm considering not taking a chance on 2170's.

This is turning into another rant... 

21/11/2012 at 14:24

I just realised the garmin 110 is the same that they had on sale on Monday.  Looks like they can't get rid of them all at that price  

21/11/2012 at 14:29

lol - have you tried new balance shoes Ten - I switch between Asics and NB periodically!  You can get wide fittings in NB too - I think the 940s are comparable to the 2160s from memory (but check that on their website - I might be lying but I think they're the ones I had)

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 14:32
21/11/2012 at 14:32

I'll have a look at that SB, thanks.

21/11/2012 at 14:35

Oh and they have a factory outlet in Keswick too - if you can figure out which ones you want you can phone and get them posted to you at about 2/3 of the price! (usually last season's version mind - the folks in the shop are really helpful so if you need help I would give them a ring and have a chat!)

21/11/2012 at 15:00
This toe thing us a first, j fo recall bring conscious of the shoes being snug, and I dud put my orthoses into them, aargh
21/11/2012 at 15:45

RR - I think you should lay off the sauce in the daytime 

21/11/2012 at 16:06
Actually I did break this toe just before what would have been my first marathon. Just popped out to Westfield but there was no Sweatshop so could only try Adidas shoes, big overly impressed there.
21/11/2012 at 16:08

+1 for the £15 Alpkit - very comfortable. A narrow beam which is ok on a road/lane but may not be quite bright enough for a trail...just a hunch, not ventured off road with it yet.....might try that tonight and then I can report back.

22/11/2012 at 03:41
On my run tonight I switched off my head torch as the moon was lighting the way, which is my preferred solution
22/11/2012 at 07:48

Went to my running club last night, did 5 reps of 1200m with 200m recovery. That was pretty good. I'm starting to feel better again.
Found out the club are doing some marathon training runs on a Sunday morning at 7am with a 14m beginner run at 9:30 per mile this Sunday. That's pretty much at my limit, but hope to give it a  go if I can get myself up early enough and I feel up to it.
I think that the club's beginner standard is actually quite a high standard! 

22/11/2012 at 08:20

Morning all

Just heard from oscarr - he got there safe and sound!  He says he'll try to pop in later to let us know how the 1st race (6k) goes...

AC8 - don't feel you have to go to every session.  Club standards can be a big step up - I found that when I first joined a club and even now I find they train much faster than I would if out by myself.  It's perfectly ok to just go to the track session until you naturally progress.  The last thing you want to end up doing is racing to train as opposed to training to race.  That way - over training and burn out lay!  Make sure you speak up and explain what your pace is if you do go and plan to add in as many extra rest days afterwards as you need.  Promise.... Do it.... don't make me ground you for your own good

Anyone seen Mike - did he get back ok?  Hope he's not in a ditch somewhere...

I'm adding in a novel session to my ultra training as of today... I'm taking Rascal out with me for a walk/jog once a week - ok so there may be some stops for sniffs thrown in but how brilliant would it be to have some extra company on my long b2bs and I reckon the time on my feet/low pulse will still be effective - and if Angela Mudge's jack russells can cope....

But first things first - TRX session number 5 here I come...

mcs
22/11/2012 at 10:37

RR what you typing on??? You look drunk!!!
On the subject I have Inov8s and they are good for mud but I do get a blister on one of the heels every time I wear them unless I put a plaster on them. Been looking at Salomon shoes need to try some on........will depend on the weather what I wear for GG as there are a lot of field sections but also quite abit of track which is very firm though you can run on the grass at the side too.  New Balance are supposed to be good for wider feet but not tried any on, need to venture out of the country into a city to try some shoes on. This chap likes the country so will have to wait till forced to go shopping.

22/11/2012 at 10:54

I love my inov-8's best shoes in the world but need a new pair, no blisters even during the Red Bull Steeplechase (22M).  I have tried salomens and they are bit to solid for me, the sole is not flexi enough.

SB, when I was a lad I ran with my dogs, one a lab cross greyhound and the other a welsh springer.  The grehound cross was great for fast reps, but the welshy was fantastic company on long runs, she could go at least 16M, which was my limit at the time.

22/11/2012 at 10:56
Mike Sheridan wrote (see)

+1 for the £15 Alpkit - very comfortable. A narrow beam which is ok on a road/lane but may not be quite bright enough for a trail...just a hunch, not ventured off road with it yet.....might try that tonight and then I can report back.

I'll be very interested to know how you get on, as I was intending to use mine on the trail.  

Might be a bit spooky with the animal eyes reflecting back too - a bit like the scene in Disney's Snow White

22/11/2012 at 11:11

Re: all running shoes

What I find intensely annoying (you would never guess ) is that it takes a while to find a shoe that fits perfect - then they change it by the time you come to need a replacement.  I've gone from being really happy with my shoe comfort to simply tolerating the shoes until they wear out.  Not good.

As I mentioned on another thread, I don't understand why a manufacturer of arguably the highest rated (structured) running shoe (Kayano) would change it, and change it again, and alienate people who were happy with the earlier version.

Isn't it a bit like when Coca-Cola changed the formula for the drink?  They had near-disastrous results.  

mcs
22/11/2012 at 11:18

Agree on that subject Ten.........I tend to buy two pairs of shoes when I find some I like or one one month and one the next to make sure for at least a year I have some shoes I like and feel good..........................Kayano 17s my current choice but they are both coming up to a year old in January so the first pair have done nearly a 1000 miles. Not sure whether to stay with Kayano but would have to get 18s now.......too much choice.

22/11/2012 at 11:25
mcs wrote (see)

Not sure whether to stay with Kayano but would have to get 18s now.......too much choice.

.... whereas if they continued to manufacture the shoe you know you like, you would simply buy another couple of shoes of the same make/model.

I've seen online reviews of Asics 2170's that say that they are nothing like the earlier 2160/50/40/etc.  Hence, I've had enough and I'm jumping ship.

(Good job I'm not at the boot camp )

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 11:25
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.