Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,241 to 2,260 of 4,505 messages
22/11/2012 at 11:35

Sorry guys re Alpkit etc. I ran 9.5 miles last night but I wanted to inject some pace in prep for the Andy Reading 10k in 2 weeks and so didn't venture off road at all. Instead like Choisty, I ran under the moon and stars without the light on for most of it, and only switched on when the odd car hove into view.

So I am safe and sound and not asleep in a ditch.....

mcs
22/11/2012 at 13:05

Images of a runner lying in a ditch spring to mind.......good run 9.5 miles Mike thats a long run for me these days!

22/11/2012 at 13:08

Mike - I've just been given a tip that it's a good idea to wear a second lamp (e.g. around the waist) when running trails, because two light sources brings out the depth of vision better than one (or something like that ).

22/11/2012 at 15:36

Two lamps!

Blimey, I might get shot by a fox or a badger, on no hang on a minute....

22/11/2012 at 15:39
Ooh like the two lamps idea. Not entirely sure why I haven't tried that before!!

Ha ha Mike!
22/11/2012 at 16:24
Hi guys - race report 1 from Cyprus. Cloudy day about 23 degrees. 6k time trial with the field of 150 runners sent off at 10 sec intervals which made no difference to the way I ran other than there was not the benefit of being in a pack of same pace runners.

Great fun at the start by the beach with all the different nationalities dressed very differently - the Frenchies even had the tricolour painted on their cheeks (face ones that is). Incline in the first mile to get up onto the road and another part way but other than that pretty flat. Ran through the banana plantations and finished on the beach then coach back to hotel. Good organisation again.

Felt a little heavy after my flu but still managed it in 28:05 with 5k ran through in 23:14 which is about right so very happy. Finished half way down the field exactly and half way down my age group 55 to 60 (roll on next feb when I move up to 60 group).

Sleepy - for Ben - the winner did about 19:40 with second in 20:26. How would Ben do for 6k? He would beat those easily I think?

Beer at moment then tomorrow it's an 11k hill race which is a straight 600m up hill.

Talk later.
22/11/2012 at 16:43

Oscarr, well run that is a cracker.  Ben would blow them away as that is about my pace (1st would beat me probably).  Oddly enough I have a 6k club handicap tonight so it will be interesting so see how I go, bet it won't be 23oC!   Good luck for the hill climb,sounds like the carb loading is going well

22/11/2012 at 17:40

We'll find out next year (Best guess 18:00 ish). Forum holiday away folks.... start planning now

Loving the sound of the banana plantations... Sounds like an impressive run to me oscarr - get out there tomorrow and kick some butt!  You know you like hills really!

I'm still in one piece after this morning's strength training which today involved a double bungeed RIP training bar (it's a weighted bar that attaches to the same A frame that the TRX straps do and does its best to fling you across the room with its very strong elastic! RIP indeed - I will be certainly be needing lots of rest before next week) and a medicine ball, followed by a 5.25 MAP jog/walk with Rascally-chops - she loved it and didn't really stop for all that many sniffs - I'm very impressed with her today!

2 lamps do indeed sound very practical and effective - but better check the wildlife firearm situation first!  I regularly run past a military firing range - maybe I should be more concerned about that

Edited: 22/11/2012 at 17:45
22/11/2012 at 19:13
I would be SB!

Marvellous running Oscarr, it sounds like a real festival.

I must avoid trying to type fast on this phone, I swear it corrects me once my gaze has moved on.

Toe is loads better already, that Traumeel stuff is magic.

Looks like our Sat XC may be cancelled due to flooding, so I may have to do a ParkRun instead, definitely doing sweeper for the Big Red 10K on Sunday. One if my mates is doing it with me, so should be fun.
22/11/2012 at 19:44

oscarr wrote (see)
....there was not the benefit of being in a pack of same pace runners.

Welcome to my world.

Meanwhile, back in the UK, we have all moved a bit closer to the sea (or a lake/river).

22/11/2012 at 23:59
Cheers for the report Oscarr, sounds like you did really well and as you say you have your 60th to look forward to!

I went off road tonight and this head torch is seriously good, in fact on the last stretch towards home on a quiet road a car came toward me and flashed me as I had my high beam on !! Just joking with you !! It is featured as a Christmas gift wish list idea in this months RW mag. You would need to try to believe how good it is.

Fh
23/11/2012 at 06:32

FH You are making me want another running item! 

23/11/2012 at 06:33

If anybody else is interested.... the Garmin 310xt and HRM strap are back in the Amazon lightning sale at 2:45pm.  It should be £150, which is a considerable discount on current prices.  Don't hesitate if you want one - add it to your basket the second it becomes available - they were all allocated in just a couple of minutes when I bought mine.  You then have 15 minutes to go through the checkout process to secure the deal.  There is a good review on the DCRainmaker site (along with other garmins).  

FH - if a group of you run together with that headtorch, there is a serious danger of having a plane come in to land.

23/11/2012 at 08:21
Quick question - can I risk buying Innov8 s online? How are they for size?
23/11/2012 at 10:04

RR, if you are new to them try them on first, they have a different fit to many other trainers.

Well I did my 6k handicap last night where I ran poorly, still 2nd on time in 21:17, my worst run in years, I managed not to be blown into next week, but only just!

Today looks an excellent day for a run blue skys and no wind at least in Surrey anyway

23/11/2012 at 10:38

Ten, you just made me wet myself !

RR, get one, i can promise, you wont be disappointed .

FH

23/11/2012 at 10:43

Hey all!

Reiki - inov8s tend to have a narrower heel cup and wider toe box than asics - that much I can tell you - I tend to get them in the same size as usual (ie one size up from shoes) and they're fine.  They feel a bit roomy when you first put them on but they're fine when you're running!

We get ours from Inov8s

I have a pair of roclite 260s that they're still selling for £40 - and they've been a real treat! Depends if they have the size you want...

Blue sky here too - hurrah - bike ride for me at lunch time

23/11/2012 at 10:57
Ten - you really are a funny guy!

Race report number 2 - 11k hill race with a 600m climb - boy it was tough, so most of us tried to run steady and walked the really steep bits where it was quicker to walk than run! Great scenery, great finish and enjoyable. Clear blue sky today so sunbathing this afternoon. Finished in 1:19:39.which means nothing really - results aren't up yet so don't know if I have improved my overall position.

Stephanie Twell is competing in the 4 day challenge with us this week. In the 6k time trial she was 6th overall, first lady in a time of 21:02.

Lots of folk here have come in groups so I think Sleepy has hit on a great idea - late bit of winter sun for a forum team holiday ???

Tomorow morning is the half marathon with the strangest profile of 300m up to halfway then 600m all downhill to the finish - boy am I looking forward to that downhill section already ! Overall drop of 300m on mountain trails apparently.
mcs
23/11/2012 at 10:59

Blue sky and a lot of water and mushy leaves on the ground today. Ran home last night in pitch black, storm, wind beyond belief and got the wettest I have ever been. My trainers were full of water and I was sloshing along. Had to strip at the door to be allowed in. One pair of still soggy trainers this am. Pair two on.  My head torch is 170 lumens and with rechargeables is working well. Had an owl in the light the other night he must have wondered where he was going. Going out for a five miler at lunchtime, think I will stick to the road as so much water on the trail.
23 degrees sounds lovely, enjoy your weekend Oscarr.
Choisty your 6 k time is about my 5k time well done.......must admit I dont like running in the dark maybe as a wearer of specs it has something to do with it.
All experience is an arch to build on!!!

23/11/2012 at 14:14
Results are in after Second race and I have gone from 76th overall to 84th so I better get my butt in gear for the half tmrow !! pub sorted for the footy and rugby tomorrow afternoon!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.