Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,261 to 2,280 of 4,505 messages
23/11/2012 at 14:45

Relax - Enjoy - you're on holiday! 

mcs
23/11/2012 at 14:47

Sure you will get a good time tomorrow O!!
Just been out in weak sunshine for a nice 5.25 miler (44 mins easy) according to my schedule......nice to be able to see where I was running, though a few rivers running over the trail from the golf course plenty of water everywhere after last nights storms.
This schedule says easy pace is 9.07 I tend to be running around 8.30 min miles on the flat feeling easy. I put my half marathon time on the RW Smart Coach and this is what it came out with. Some of the speed sessions are down at 7.12 which will be hard. Do I run my longer runs too fast too often? SHould I be running slower in training? Any comments from you speed merchants??

23/11/2012 at 15:33

Sounds like you're having a whale of a time Oscarr!   Nice sunny day here too - just....   not.....    very.....       warm.

While everyone is on the subject of trail shoes.....  those of you who wear structured road shoes - do you also buy structured trail shoes?  I bought my Trabuco's because they were about the only ones I could find that said they were structured.  However, I'm not at all keen on them and wonder if it is necessary to buy structured when the terrain is a mix of road and trail?

Also, also.... I dug out some old pairs of running shoes, now called "muddy gardening shoes" to try to understand why some were more comfortable (all Asics apart from one ancient pair of Nikes).  One of my favourite pairs from yesteryear were a 2E width!  This might explain why I have felt like the more recent shoes have been getting narrower   Whatever I get next, I'll go for a wider fit and see how I get on.

Edited: 23/11/2012 at 15:34
23/11/2012 at 16:57

Ten, I brought 1 pair of structured trail shoes (Mizuno wave harrier) and on the the first run I went over on my ankle 3 times, I got so p****d off I took them off put them in the bin and ran home barefoot.  I would go for very little cushioning and no structure so you can feel where your foot is, I think this is because your ankle is all over the place on trails so structure just gets in the way.

MCS, it depends on target, taking the GG as the target...long and hard then yes you are probably running too fast...but what I found useful (thank you Steve) is that in the long run to run sections at target pace, eg 15miles at easy pace then 5miles at MP, followed by 5miles at steady pace home.  I was running two long runs a week.  The thing is the easy runs had to be at easy pace for me to survive, I'm now back to running easy at 6:45 which is too fast (for me)

23/11/2012 at 19:57

mcs I think you need more contrast between the long slow and the speedwork for your goals.  

Oscarr good luck for the half - it sounds marvellous, I'd love that combo of hard start and surf home.  Could really fancy the challenge next year.

I'm going to look into the Innov8s etc tomorrow.  Maybe the Lahars are too structured for me then!  Thing is I fancy what will be a very muddy Ware Cup mob match [the one that hasn't been cancelled yet!], but don't want to do damage to toe.

Mega shattered after a 10 hour shift inc a 3 hour meeting!

So more anon.  Gosh there's a whole range of those head torches!

23/11/2012 at 21:28

mcs - if 7:xx is a challenge then it is a sign that you are running your easy runs too fast. Easy runs should allow you to have a conversation with a real (or imaginary) person - if you are gasping or can only get half a sentence out then again, you are too fast. If you use a heart rate monitor then anything below 70-75% of HRMax is the right pace.

Try 8:45 min/m for a week or two and then see how close you can get to 7:xx

24/11/2012 at 08:52

Aargh I can only find Roclite 260s in size 4.5 whereas I usually get 5s for running shoes. 

24/11/2012 at 11:00

Thanks for that Choisty.  I guess part of my problem is that many of my longer runs are about 50/50 road and trail, so I'm not sure whether I should go with structured (for the road part) or not.  I don't fancy the idea of carrying extra shoes on the long runs .  If only it wasn't such an expensive business experimenting with new shoes.

I had a bad run this morning.  I hurt my knee after about a mile on icy/slippy pavement.  It eased off, but then flared up more after about three miles.  I turned around at four miles to complete 8 miles instead of my planned 10.  In addition to the knee pain, I really felt out-of-sorts.  I can honestly say I felt better during last weeks 14 mile run.

Interestingly, I now seem to get some relief from knee pain by doing the ITB exercise on my roller.  Maybe it's because I'm more used to it and can now hold it over painful spots for longer?  Hopefully, this is a good sign.

24/11/2012 at 11:33

It's a great sign Ten! Mind you, I have picked up some tenderness at the top of my shjins from doing the physio exercise where you press the big ball against the wall with leg up and bent whilst beinding and straightening the other leg. 

Rollering is brilliant for this too!

My XC has just been cancelled after my jog to the PO with the muddy Lahars on!!

Not too dismayed.

24/11/2012 at 12:27
Race report number 3. Half Mara trail race. Start in beautiful picnic area in a protected national park - like the Tour De France they present a yellow jersey to the male and female leaders just before the start, nice touch. Route was the most. scenic half I have ever done. Uphill for 10k, down for 8k then flat for 3k.

The uphill reminded us of the hard hill race the day before so it was just stick in with the prospect of a blast after 10k. I decided to throu caution to the wind coming down and came down like a fell runner. Finish on the beach then a sit in the sea to cool the legs off. (sleepy - next year for this race take a towel and change for a sea swim at the finish and cash for ice cream van).

Did 2:02:28 which I was well pleased with considering I am still trying to gt rid of this sore throat. No change to my overall position and no change to my age cat place either so that's good.

This really is a tough challenge - we have done 3 races so far and raced hard for total of 24 miles. Flat, road 10k race tomorrow to finish - we get free beer at the finish (at 9am !!!) then it's party all the way.

The event is really well organised and is great fun and you meet lots of new people from all over europe. Quite a few singles have come and mixed in really well. A great time being had by all. Let me know if anything you want to know about the event if you are thinking about coming in future years.
24/11/2012 at 13:23

Spendid run Oscarr, it sounds ex-hill-erating and I love the giant plunge pool at the end. 

Did you enter and then plan the trip yourself, or did you go with an organised tour?  When I did the Benidorm half I went with a group, which was very easy for me. 

24/11/2012 at 16:23

Great run Oscarr.  Don't run the 10k too slow or there'll be no beer left   If you get a PB tomorrow, we'll know why!

Glad I went out early for my run, the weather has been well manky since mid-morning.

25/11/2012 at 06:53
Oscarr, great stuff, sounds like something I could do! Have a great last race.

Off to run my penultimate race of 2013, will update you all later.

Have a good day everyone.

FH
25/11/2012 at 10:37
Good luck with your race FH and anyone else racing today.

Race report number 4 and final one of this challenge. Clear blue, hot sunny morning by the harbour in the old part of Paphos for a flattish 10k road race with a great finish along the harbour to the old fort. Did 51:18 which I reckon is about 3.5 mins slower than my current fitness level time so well pleased considering the heat and the hard racing from the previous 3 days.

The draught, cold beer at the end was brilliant and such a great atmosphere with everyone euphoric at finishing the challenge and getting the medal around the neck. Chill today then gala dinner tonight - let the party begin...!!

Finished the 4 day challenge in 84th place out of 153 in total of 4h41m31s. Well pleased to be a true mid packer. At the end of the day though the time and position don't really matter, it's just a lot of fun in a great atmosphere with like minded people. Oh, and it's warm as well.

Sleepy - for Ben, the winner of todays 10k race did it in 34:24 and second was 34:52.

To show the breadth of abilities here the person about 10 places from last did the 6k on day 1 in about 34 mins and todays 10k in about 60 mins and on both days there were folk an awful lot slower. The point is that it does not matter how fast you are cos everyone has the same fun and encourages everyone else. Stephanie Twell was brilliant with folk who wanted photos with here (not me cos it would make me look too old, tee hee!!)
25/11/2012 at 10:51
Reiki - I liked the look of the event from the web site, prompted by SB (minx!), and booked through the uk agent who also direct the event which is 2:09Events run by Mike Gratton who is here directing things. They sorted entry, hotel, transfer etc and ask you to book your own Easyjet flights to match the dates (Daily flights). Staying at the event hotel as a single is the best way so you quickly get to know people. There is the option of booking your own hotel and just using 2:09 Events for your entry for anyone wanting to stay elsewhere.

SB has already posted that they plan to come next year and has asked anyone else to think about it. It would be great if a few of us came as a group. I will think about it - if I decide to do a running trip next winter then this would be the one, just have't planned that far ahead yet.

Now, where's that sun bed???
25/11/2012 at 14:22

Fabulous, Oscarr, a great finish, and staying at the event hotel is what I would do next year, it sounds very well organised.  

Well done!

Ah what a contrast with the windy, but thankfully not wet, 10K I just did, taking 1:21 in the sweeper role, not easy to do actually. 

I managed to lose £10 on the way round from my pocket, and had a major leak into the Camelbak, which is now in the washing machine [hope that's not a mistake].

25/11/2012 at 15:46

Well done Oscarr!  Now, enjoy the rest 

Reiki - I sympathise with girls not finding adequate toilets during races, but there's no need to be so graphic about having a major leak into your camelback! 

I've just added my training mileage to runbritain and found that I have just topped 1200 miles so far for the year.  1201 to be precise  In spite of all my problems, this is set to be my biggest mileage year to date.

25/11/2012 at 15:49

Ten that's great.  I must add mine up, was going for 2012 in 2012 but have now gone metric on that score!

25/11/2012 at 17:10

Yayayayayayay oscarr - sounds brilliant - I can't wait for next year now!  Come on Reiki - ya know you want to!  And oscarr - I'll just nag you for 69 miles until you agree hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. 

I'm on 1341 so far and so I reckon that'll be just over 1400 by the end of next month.  No idea how that will compare to preceding years as it was only this year I started using runbritain to capture that data.

No running for me this weekend - I have been pinching, slapping, flicking, hacking, cupping and skin rolling - none of which I've ever had done to me in a sports massage before but bizarrely I do actually see and feel the benefit!  Now where did I put my whip....

My 10k was cancelled today due to "unsafe conditions" which is good since I'd gotten my dates mixed up anyway and was gonna be a DNS

Edited: 25/11/2012 at 17:12
25/11/2012 at 17:17

Oscarr - well done to come through that challenge unscathed. Sounds like an interesting little adventure at the end of the season - might be up for that next yr.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.