Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,281 to 2,300 of 4,505 messages
25/11/2012 at 17:33

Yay Mike - do it do it do it.

Anyone else fancying it?

Our basic plan is to book in the spring and then we can look forward to it all summer! Will try to remember to yodel when we do it so we can tempt you all to do the same.

How did you get on FH?  Still in your wetsuit? Maybe Ten's aircraft has squished you...

25/11/2012 at 18:57

I like the idea of a running holiday - especially the way its been described - thanks Oscarr. You should get commission!

SB Thanks for your earlier comments about training to race and not the other way around. I know what you mean!
I ran 8k on Friday quite hard (42 mins) then ran hard on Saturday parkrun (25min) and decided against a 14mile marathon training run this morning as I didn't get much sleep the night before - thanks to my kids
I've just about shaken off my illness and am looking forward to picking up the miles this week. Just bought myself a Ron Hill base layer top and Adidas leggings for winter running I'm tempted by the idea of getting a torch for running in the night - but not sure where to start. 

25/11/2012 at 19:15

SB I'm definitely liking the sound of the Cyprus challenge 2013. I hope we can get a gang together, it would be brilliant.  Maybe my brother would come, he'd do well, mimd you I think Ben has an excellent chance of winning the whole thing. 

You mentioned several techniques I don't recall in your previous post - hacking sounds interesting.  I had a good go with the massage hammer tonight, better than nothing.

25/11/2012 at 21:22
Quick update..... Hilly Downton Half, no rain, but the a few roads had been turned into mini streams and my feet got a bit wet! First four miles were mainly uphill and then 3 miles of flat, another 2 uphill again then a steady mile down and the last 3 flat to the finish. Felt good until about 8 miles, bit of a slog from there until the end. Didn't feel very fresh today, not helped by lower back pain which was effecting my right leg too. Going to physio ASAP to see what's occurring ! Finish in 79 place out about 260 in 1:44.48 so happy enough.

Well done Oscarr, you sir are running legend !!

AC8, I can recommend a head torch, not cheap, but you won't regret buying it. It's a Silva Runner 550 lumens, it's so bright, just like daylight! I paid ??115 for mine.

FH
26/11/2012 at 08:55
Hi gang - anyone thinking of Cyprus next winter please note they give a little discount if you book before spring, web site has details. I should get commission shouldn't I ??

Right, better do as I'm told and take some photos of the hotel for Sleepy as I don't want to get whipped.....mind you...thinking about it.....where are my tablets!!
mcs
26/11/2012 at 09:22

Nice week Sir Oscarr sounds like you enjoyed yourself and a great event......warmth whats that. WET WET and more wet here, the rivers have all burst their banks it rained all Saturday night and only stopped mid morning on Sunday. Went for a slow run yesterday afternoon when the sun had come out with my daugher talking to me all the way round on her bike. Had to encourage her to keep going but she did well. Went a touch fast trying to keep her in sight on the downhill coming home. The schedule said 9.07min miles for 10 miles ended up going abit quicker than that and averaging 8.40 so still need to go abit slower I guess in line with Mike and Choisty's advice. 
FH well done on another good race.......you have had an epic year well done to you sir.

26/11/2012 at 09:24

Oscarr - that's no problem.  Winter comes before spring.

AC8 - have a look here.  Loads of people recommend Alpkit for a mere fifteen of your earth quids.

26/11/2012 at 09:44

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL oscarr - yip get that camera out! 

Am loving the thought of a gang meet up / holiday - that would be so much fun!  Right - have banked that in my memory for next year! 

reiki - am not sure how hard he'd race or whether he'd run with us - it will depend on how next season goes I guess.  He's very sociable when he wants to be and will quite happily trot along with a group!

FH - hope the physio gets you sorted toot suite (ps Ben has been checking out the Adam - seems it has decent reviews etc so he's put it on the list for those to test drive when we're ready to change)

AC8 - really glad you're aware of the intensity - that's a massively good thing - most people aren't and just push on!  As long as you listen to your body you will keep improving - I would echo the Alpkit recommendation - personally I have a petzl tikka which is fine but if I was buying now (I've had it ages) I'd go for the gamma!

to all those brave enough to race this weekend - bonus hardcore points are yours!

26/11/2012 at 13:23
Oh good, I could do with some points!

Did 14.7 on the alter G thus morning, including 15 x 3 min climbs, progressive pace with 2 miles each at all rounds and 30s between 10 and 7 mph.

Very fun.

Perivale 5 on Sunday, not sure what else I will be doing as work timings keep changing.
mcs
26/11/2012 at 15:25

RR whats an alter G?  Is that a running machine? Not got room for one of those but the Peak District aint bad for a running machine, just a lot of puddles at the moment and rivers bursting everywhere.....

26/11/2012 at 19:32

mcs it's the anti gravity treadie - I decided to try all the wierd and wonderful Mo stuff [although so far have managed not to book an appointment for the cryotherapy tank].

SB I got the Slow Burn book. 

I need to retire just to read all these books I've got lined up.  

mcs
27/11/2012 at 09:01

If anyone wants to try the Inov8s there is an offer email that came through with a discount code on from runners world. If anyone hasn't got it let me know and I will forward the mail on.
Three mile avoiding puddle run to work run this morning and another mile up and down the hill that is on the GG route ouch that hurt abit. Still soggy here rivers everywhere!! Hope all staying dry.

27/11/2012 at 10:10

Nice dry 7.5m for me from 7:00am at 8:04min/mile  pace overall.

Best bit was finding I had 100% of the run at sub 70% max HR - first time ever, and that included over 1,200ft of ascent (well, if you believe Garmin stats).

It has since rained, so feeling suitably smug with my efforts today

27/11/2012 at 10:55
Just doing a recovery cycle in front of the tele before work - had a lovely if extreme massage earlier, knee niggle was caused by vastus lateralis - oucherama
27/11/2012 at 11:13

LOL reiki - Happy reading!

Wowsers Mike - that's good!  Enjoy your cosying!

Easy hour for me on the treadmill this morning!

One of my factoids for you reiki - the lateralis is the largest of the quadriceps!

mcs
27/11/2012 at 13:52

Seems like there is a new thread language!!! You had better educate us all!! Dark here already and just finishing lunch........easy run home tonight hope the rain stays away..... did the first mile at 9.07 this morning, second mile somehow went to 8.15 then got back up to 8.45 will try harder on the way home to keep them down to 9mm.  Need to look at the garmin more.

27/11/2012 at 14:03
6 mile beach road run before breakie today at a VERY leisurely recovery pace - back to the cold and wet blighty tomorrow. Got all your hotel piccies done Sleepy.

Still planning to do the Perivale 5 on Sunday so see you there Reiki.
mcs
27/11/2012 at 14:11

Good to hear you are having fun Oscarr hope you have a safe journey!!! Dark here already and very wet!!!

27/11/2012 at 14:22
Looking forward to it Oscarr, will be wearing the white vest with diagonal yellow and navy stripes of the Met.
27/11/2012 at 14:26
Me too, Reiki - just look for the tall guy with the receding hairline and a green Reading Roadrunners vest.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.