Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,621 to 2,640 of 4,505 messages
13/12/2012 at 17:07

Take it easy out there mcs!

I'm off to hide on the treader - the killer fog is swirling here! Is it normal to be scared of fog?  Hmmmm perhaps watched one too many Harry Potters.

13/12/2012 at 17:59
Meant to say congrats earlier to RRR and Lardon!

Choisty I guess I am using target pacing then! Cool.
14/12/2012 at 07:29

Fell over for the first time ever on a run today: mud in the eye...

mcs
14/12/2012 at 08:30

oUCH TO YOU BO!!! Stepped out of the door this am and its like an ice rink everywhere here. Rain on top of ice!!!  Managed to skate to work slowly on the trail trying to run on grass concrete where I could horrible morning still dark. BE CAREFUL out there folks.

14/12/2012 at 09:08

BoD...isn't mud in the eye a term used for toasting a drink...and you say you fell over...hmmmm, I think a full description of events is needed

MCS, it's warm here (6oC) but windy and very wet, I'm not looking forward to my long run

Hills last night 12 x 1:10 legs know about it this morning

14/12/2012 at 09:44

Choisty: are you suggesting I was drunk??? On a school night of all things. Car had full beams on, right into my eyes, couldn't see and tripped on a clump of grass... Luckily I was on a trail and the road runs parallel, so no car hitting follow ups. Still cold here -1 or so and that's in the office. burrrrrrrr

14/12/2012 at 10:41
Tripped over a clump of grass eh? Or were you pushed by the pink elephant and big fluffy rabbit?? Note to self - stay off the same juice Bo is on!
mcs
14/12/2012 at 11:22

Hic, hic........too many coffees me thinks

14/12/2012 at 11:41
Just reflecting that I used to fall over on runs all the time, especially in the early days when I was shuffling more.
14/12/2012 at 13:32

Yes, Choisty's times are rather rapid!!

BoD - sounds like you need to put a bit more water in your running drink next time...

mcs - peeing down in Essex - not a bit of ice in sight!

Thanks reiki and try not to get too bored on the treadmill Sleepy!

Off out celebrating this evening and may have one or two of BoD's "coffees" myself... so if I post anything after, say, 8pm tell me to shut up so I don't embarrass myself!

mcs
14/12/2012 at 13:41

wet wet wet here now!!! I dont believe its got light yet!!! Just tucking into a nice jacket spud and houmous yum. Happy Friday to all have a good weekend.

14/12/2012 at 13:52

Anyone racing this weekend?  I have another xc race on Sunday as part of the TVXC lge - a 6 miler in a cutely named place in Rieslip called Mad Bess Woods.  Should be nice and muddy after all this rain.

14/12/2012 at 14:52

Rest day today   4m tomorrow, then 12m on Sunday.  My knees are behaving themselves very nicely.  I think the longer runs are helping.

I've just received a letter confirming that I'm on the waiting list for physiotherapy 

Still haven't got around to sorting out core work or nutrition.  

Good luck in the XC Oscarr.  The weather is predicted to improve considerably, though it won't help the soggy conditions underfoot.

14/12/2012 at 14:52

Am liking the sound of a "special" coffee or two!

Yakky here too!

oscarr - have a good un - no racing for us this weekend - just laundry and practice massages for me.  Suspect Ben will be out enjoying running regardless as Germany was snowbound!

14/12/2012 at 15:07

Just got back from my lunchtime run...very very very wet and muddy, but somehow it added to the fun of running strides

I am sort of racing this weekend, as a club we have a mob match agaist the local cycling club (they run) and I full expect to have to give up my crown after 4 wins on the trot, at least it will be to another club mate...but there again I said the same thing last year.

Now for a special coffee

14/12/2012 at 15:14
I'm planning a Park Run tomorrow, then 5 steady on Shnday, should be doable.

Had tui na this morning - awesome, although the ankles needed a lot of trust as it was pretty extreme.

Will have more of this next week.

I was so embroiled in work I missed telling you about all the famous people I've come across both professionally and in life, through sport and travel mainly.

None today though.
14/12/2012 at 15:20
Hope you retain Choisty!

Guys when doing strides do you go for exaggeratedly long strides, or what can you tell me about them?

What I do is go from slower to faster by increments, back down to slower, a few steps at each pace.

Is this right?
14/12/2012 at 17:19

I do my strides a very prescribed manner as I have a long powerful stride but my cadence is low.  I try to do this weekly to a maximum of 20 sets, although I have been known to miscount and get up to 23 doh! although today I did 6.

I count every left (could be right) foot strike on the ground starting at 0, the aim is to get 30 left foot strikes in 19 sec.  This then adds up to the magical 180 steps per minute that all elite distance runners run at or above.  The recovery time varies but your breathing should be fully recovered, generally between 40-60secs, but it can take longer and you shouldn't scrimp on recovery.

It is not about speed or distance covered in that time simply about leg turnover. Although I am always surprised by how fast you end up running.

When you start running these sessions it is best to start on a slight downhill to make sure you turn your legs over easily, although I can now run them uphill, in mud...well anywhere really.

14/12/2012 at 17:26

Best description I've ever read about strides! That's a keeper. Thanks Choisty.

14/12/2012 at 17:33

Brilliant Choisty, cheers. 

I have a fairly rapid cadence but short steps.  

I'm guessing you do these at the start or end of a track session, I think I'll add some in to start more often because I always end up focussing on establishing cadence first off anyway, I've even used a metronome for this purpose. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.