Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,661 to 2,680 of 4,505 messages
16/12/2012 at 17:48

Sorry to see that Reikki.  Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks Oscarr, and good running/tumbling.

BoD - I have no idea what a suspension exercise thing is.

16/12/2012 at 19:04
Ten: look up TRX on the Internet. I've just made one for about ??25.
16/12/2012 at 19:11

I want one of those BoD!

17/12/2012 at 09:03
RR: trip to Halfolds and Homebase did the job!
17/12/2012 at 09:18

Morning all!

Oh nooooooo reiki - heal quick!!

BoD - we've been considering doing the same ourselves - except we know we won't use it even if we did .  The pull up bar has been up for 3 months - guess how many pull ups I've attempted....

oscarr - how many points will you be awarding yourself for artistic endeavour?  Did you get any applause (seriously though - are you ok?  Hope you didn't hurt yourself?)

Ten - utube TRX and you'll get a better idea but here's a static pic to get you going...

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/614617/gallery/images.jpg?width=350

17/12/2012 at 09:52

Is that to be erected outside, in the back garden?  Our weather isn't very condusive to training on something like that.  It would get as much use as the kids trampoline and sleepy's pullup bar (err..  which reminds me, I must restart using my pullup bar ).

It's a rest day for me today, because I still haven't sorted out any cross-training.

I'm spotting a common theme here...

17/12/2012 at 10:01

Sorry not been on over the weekend, it was stupid busy, didn't sit down (unless driving) from waking to sleeping, and only amange 1 proper meal!

RR what is your brother training for?

Ten, sorry wasn't ingnoring your question, the minimum cadence is 180 so you are training above so that 180 feels more comfortable

We have both a trampoline and chin up bar and my daughter spends most of her non-training time on one or the other, or maybe a floor routine or "vaulting" on the soda!!!

Well I raced and after 4 wins on the bounce got beaten into 3rd by my two training partners (doh!), but I kinda new I would so I had set myself a tough time goal of sub-20mins for the 6k muddy and hilly course, came home in 19:53 so can't be upset as I am running well.  The chap that won ran the fastest time I've ever seen on the course in the 7years I have been racing with the club (although the course record is still a minute quicker!)

17/12/2012 at 10:13

Thanks Choisty, that makes sense.  Nice work on the race!  I can only compete with myself, and I still lose.

Choisty wrote (see)

... my daughter spends most of her non-training time ... "vaulting" on the soda!!!

Switch to sugar-free soda!

I've resubmitted my avatar photo again again again using IE instead of Chrome to see if that makes a difference.  And no, it's not a photo of a large cock nor any other form of fowl.

17/12/2012 at 11:07
If I had been watching I would have given myself "a ten from Len!" - it was quite a spectacular fall but with so much mud around there was plenty of cushioning and not too much blood- got straight up and only lost about 10 secs on the guy I was chasing.

Having done Cyprus then raced every weekend since then (3 races) I've decided to marshal at Reading xc next Sunday and will not race again until jan 6th xc. Do you remember Reading xc? It's the one where you and Ben dressed in fairy outfits and you beat me by one place !!
17/12/2012 at 11:53

Oscarr - you may have lost ten seconds at first, but you would have gained more while he was doubled-up laughing 

It seems that once again RW doesn't work with Chrome.  The photo submission came up almost immediately after I used IE.

So there you have it.  My inspiration and reasons for running, losing weight (five stones) and quitting the booze (6+ years).  Nothing else comes close to this pair when it comes to giving me strength of resolve.

For those expecting a picture of me bouncing through a race, you'll have to follow the clues to runbritain.  Sleepy was paying attention to my earlier posts 

mcs
17/12/2012 at 13:22

Nice pic Ten if you pm your email I can send you a page of exercises I am doing faithfully, to help with the core strength. Been mad this weekend so no running family stuff busy.....did 7 miles this am and I am running home too as sort of long run day! NIce day here in Bakewell Market busy with shoppers and just had a cracking soup at daughters....yum. GREAT racing Oscar and Choisty.  Have a ten from Mark!!
GG is sold out, my son in law tried to sign up today he is on the waiting list when folk drop out. Nice to see Bradley get the top prize,shame Mo wasnt in the top three last night suspect he is not seen as British by most of the general public.  Happy new week all.

17/12/2012 at 13:34

Cheers mcs - pm sent.

At least the nominations weren't packed out with Man City/Man Utd players, as voted for by Nuts Magazine and the erm... Manchester Evening News.  After last years ridiculous event, this year was quality.  Andy Murray almost smiled when he got his award, though it did look like he's been poked with a pointy stick to remind him.

I wanted a 1,2,3 of Bradley, Jess and Mo, but frankly you could justifyably perm any three of the finalists - and even many who didn't even make the individual's final.  What a year for British sport!  Very emotional.

17/12/2012 at 18:27
I thought that Mo might scrape in the top three. But what a year.

My trainer looks nothing like that, pull up bar over toilet door...

Been to physio... Said I've got shin splints... But also said that it was pointless in telling me not to run, so given me a load of exercises to do on my calfs...
17/12/2012 at 18:39

oscarr : Fab-u-lous darling!  I do remember it - very well - had a fab time being silly!  I only beat you cos you let me I reckon!  Probably wouldn't get close to you this year...

Awwww Ten - they look like they're good fun!  Cheeky smiles

17/12/2012 at 18:44

Bo - oh oh - be good - the last thing you want is for them to linger - they can put you out of action for a long time and get really nasty! 

mcs
18/12/2012 at 09:45

Another 6 miles done though felt dead this am, probably due to talking to daughter at 3.33 in the am.......new brace causing pain!!
BO you might need new trainers..............have a week off that usually helps me with shins......

18/12/2012 at 10:12

BoDuke - That looks a bit 50 Shades of Grey ...! Have used the TRX at the gym though and apart from a tangling incident, it's been pretty good. Nice one - making it for £25!! But shin splints ...? Argh! Get well soon!!

Tenjiso - Wow! That's amazing - 6 stone! Are you completely teetotal now?

Oscarr - Ouch! Good positive take on the mud though!

MCS - You're Bakewell way? I stayed at a campsite there in the summer (at the top of the hill) and you've got some AMAZING footpaths to run! Very jealous!!

Choisty - Morning!! Wow - super quick! 4 wins?!!

SB -  Morning! Meant to ask you the other day ... have you tried CaniX with Rascal?

18/12/2012 at 10:56

BoD, if mcs is right and it takes a week of rest it probably couldn't have come at a better time.  You'll still have 16 weeks before the marathon.  Don't make it worse.

(Hark at me - I can dish the advice..... )

RRR - 5 stones (from 17 to 12) ... though I'll probably try to lose more to reduce body fat to help my knees (and my marathon time ).  Yes, I am completely teetotal.  Where alcohol is concerned, it was far easier for me to drop it like a stone rather than attempt to moderate.  It was a great move, because I don't miss it at all (I certainly don't miss the hangovers that have ruined many a Christmas past).  My kids have never, and will never see me wasted.

18/12/2012 at 14:33

Promise I'll be very good. Been doing the exercises as instructed (was only last night) and going to be very careful for the next few weeks. Including doing strange stuff when walking (off my toes). She said that I have the legs of a sprinter and not a long distance 'un. T'was interesting. She was also unsure how I managed to maintain speed because I avoid running off my left toes (broke a toe when drunk at 18).

New trainers too (to start new campain)! She didn't recommend them, but just to treat self.

Suddenly worried about Brighton...

mcs
18/12/2012 at 15:09

Great runnng area RRR......
Not the best camping site round here, try up at Edale next time. More remote and scenic.
Speedy Bo the sprinter man!!! Get well soon.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.