Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

261 to 280 of 4,505 messages
mcs
14/05/2012 at 13:48

What was your maximum mileage leading up to Paris C?

This week I am doing.

5miles-1 M jog then 8 x 400m fast with 200m recovery then 1 m jog.
5miles slow
1M jog then 3 miles brisk then 1 mile jog
Rest Friday
3M saturday easy
12 Miles steady Sunday though might just do an hour as Sam Murphys schedule.

Been using the RW Ultimate Schedule for Sub 4 which I believe Steve wrote......I dont think I have missed any of the runs out, only the odd Saturday 3 M easy but I have to run to work most days so done the extra few miles. Any tips for tapering then C you gleaned from Paris?

14/05/2012 at 14:20

Choisty - Newbury is my home parkrun so would be delighted to run it with you although maybe not at your pace just yet (my PB is 20:15) - so give us a heads up if you plan to travel over.

We always have  a warm welcome for celebrities - and the rock cakes in the cafe afterwards, well they rock ha!.

Newbury 10k was fun on Sunday - hard not to be in the brilliant weather, about 13 degrees C at 10:15 and rising as the 800+ runners set off. The winner (3rd year in a row) got round in 32:xx despite the wind so it was quick for some despite the first 2-3k being uphill and into wind.

Thereafter a mixture of footpath, gravel track and tow path for another 3k ish, and then road to the finish in the Market Square. Cash prizes for the few, medals etc for the many and all in all a good, speedy workout for those like me, back off a marathon, VLM in my case.

In case anyone is interested, a 25 sec course PB for me of 44:42; 2nd in V60 this year and 76th overall v 94th last year. A nice event and even got "medaled" by the Mayor no less, complete with his bling.......

14/05/2012 at 14:24

Anyone seen Bo ? Getting concerned now.

14/05/2012 at 14:32
Choisty wrote (see)

Emma, don't worry, run how you feel, not how you think you should.  I think the following for the week would work,

Mon: easy 3-4M

Tue: 1M w-up, 1M race pace, 1M w-down

Wed: 5-6M steady

Thu: 1M w-up, 8 x 100m strides with 1min recovery, 1M w-down

Fri: Rest or run for fun, you choose

Sat: Rest

Sun: Smile, joke, laugh and race

Thank you lovely man! That is more sessions than I would usually do but they are shorter so should be pretty easy to fit in. I usually go to track on Thursday evenings - so can either do 100s (what are strides?) or do 8 x 200 with 1 min recovery.

I am much happier already knowing that I have a plan!

Last week I ran a 10m race on Sunday, 6.7 'recovery' run on Monday, 7.7 at marathon pace Tuesday, 4 ish miles at track doing 12 x 200m Thursday, cross trained on Friday and then 9.5 on Saturday. Think that even though the race the week before was technically not part of my milage still meant I was more fatigued?

14/05/2012 at 14:32

Well done Mike - great stuff!

14/05/2012 at 15:45

MCS, what I learnt was that a taper doesn't have to be as deep as I normaly go, for example I ran 14M at 6:30 pave 1 week before, with 2 rep sessions the week before and 1 the week after.  This stopped the gremlins getting in as I new I still had the speed and endurance without overdoing it, I was a bit sceptical but trusted Steve and I now belive him to be the Mesiah!  Oh, my peak mileage was 97, if I'd known I would have run 3 more.  The schedule looks good

Mike, will see you there, I only live in Kingsclere, just need to my wife to take my boy to swimmin gone Saturaday morning.  Really good performance on what is a tough course (I have it a go last year), bling never goes a miss congratulations.  If you are around on 8th July, I organise a race in Kingsclere www.twistkingsclere5.org.uk if you fancy it.

Emma, no worries..Strides the way I do them are 30 left foot strikes in 19 seconds, initially I would reccomend 100m trying for the fastest leg turnover you can manage.  If there are too many runs cull the easy ones first.

Oscarr, not seen him...most odd

14/05/2012 at 16:02

Hello all! Just back from holidays and feeling hugely invigorated

Have read through everything I've missed so first off, both commiserations and congratulations to Oscarr. Well done on making double figures in your marathon tally and on a good solid time. I'm really sorry you didnt achieve your goal - know how disappointing that is, but it sounds as if you're learning/reflecting from the whole experience to apply to the next challenge.

And on the issue of marathon distance runs... I'll just add my tppence worth. For Choisty, a ful ldistance run was only just over 3 hours. For you (and most of us!) it'd be significantly longer - maybe 4, 4.5 hours and that just isn't a sensible run to be scheduling in to your training, in my opinion.

Hi EmmaC, so you've got your next marathon lined up already, huh?! Trying to think what time of year that one is... Is it an autumn or spring? Good to see you're getting a bit of direction back after feeling a bit lost.

Good 10 milers to add to the list - Canterbury, and Dartford - both in January.

Er, what else? Well, I've just been on a week triathlon training camp - so have swum and biked ever day, and done a little bit of running (2 short runs - pretty pain free). I'm banishing the Garmin for now as I don't want to see my pace or distance - just running 15-20 mins. My main goal for the week was to immerse myself in the biking and swimming and then be fit/pain free enough to do the sprint distance tri on the last day. And I did! I was really pleased with my swim and bike, and managed to do the 5km run without pain (in a relatively slow 22ish mins)  to finish third woman overall in 1 hour 17 mins! My hip did hurt a lot that afternoon but it has eased off much quicker than before and I'm pretty much pain free again, 2 days later. So it's looking a bit more positive for full recovery now Or at least, a season of 5kms and triathlons...!

Nice to be back in touch.

mcs
14/05/2012 at 16:14

Good to see you back running and recovering well Sam!!

Congrats to Mike great running.

Sad to hear the news that the 77 year old parkrunner who had just completed 100 park runs died last week in Bradford. That sounds like my way to go in bed, after doing 100 park runs, comiserations to his family and friends.

14/05/2012 at 17:03

Hi Sam - wonderful to have you back! So pleased that you are so much on the mend - fantastic news. Love the slow 5k at 3 1/2 mins faster than my pb!

I am still feeling rather lost - I was going to try and use the plan you had given me for my Dublin training although this will be hampered by holidays and lack of 20 mile races as preparation. Dublin is at end of October.

If you don't mind when I've got my plan together might I be able to pick your brains?

I am missing everyone terribly and really feels odd that I won't be bombing up to Birmingham at an ungodly hour to meet for training camp!

Thanks for the advice - so Thursday is 100m fastest my chubby legs will manage with a 1min recovery? Sounds groovy!

14/05/2012 at 17:15

Sam, good to see you back and on the mend, although triathlons are a dodgy affair, all that latex and switching positions!

On the topic of 10milers...looking for a fast one Lordshill (Nov), Salisbury (Mar), Maidenhead (good friday)

14/05/2012 at 17:19

Sam - great to hear from you again and really good news that you seem to be putting the hip problem behind you which must be a big relief - have had a complete rest these last 8 days but may start running again tomorrow as the legs are completely recovered (in fact they felt pretty good after about 3 days which was strange) - will take my time to decide if its Abingdon or Kielder in October and what the objective is (time or scenery??)

Choisty - i've still got your Kingsclere5 pencilled on the calender for that beer you promised me ...

Emma - good luck in getting back into a weekly routine with your running - it really helps me having medium and long term races/goals set to focus on at least an outline plan for the short term weeks - think this time of year is about enjoying the summer race series without the big marathon pressure and using the spring training fitness for some good times (hopefully)

14/05/2012 at 17:28
dprovan wrote (see)

Funny Hat that is a really impressive improvement. How many miles are you doing and what kind of running to make that progress?

Dprovam,   I try and run 5 days a week and it looks a bit like this at the highest point in my marathon training

M - Rest

T - 10 miles easy

W - Track session

T - 5 at pace

F - Rest

S - 10 half easy and half at pace

S - 20 at +1 minute slower than MP with last 20 mins at MP

I always try and do every session and I might miss 10% of a 16 week plan, hope that helps.

FH

14/05/2012 at 17:28

Choisty - good 10 milers - Hook (nr Basingstoke) this Sunday - Epsom in november (finishes at back of Queens stand on the race course)

14/05/2012 at 17:44

No Hook for me as I'm a busy boy this weekend, Harrow for 3000m S/C on Saturday and then Netley 10k on Sunday, followed by end of season BBQ and beers.

The beer is waiting whether you spectate or run

14/05/2012 at 17:51

No Hook for me either, too soon after my marathon.

Will probably spectate at Kingsclere as its only a week after i do the Lakeland Trail marathon

14/05/2012 at 18:13

Off for my 15 minute run now - along with some great new neuromuscular and posture exercises I got from the tri camp physio, who just happens to also be Jess Ennis's physio  They are weird... one is called the John Travolta. All about coordination and recruitment patterns rather than strength...

14/05/2012 at 20:31

Hello all

Sam - great to hear you are on the mend and had such a great time at camp! Your slow 5K time is a time I can only dream of!

Emma - hope you get back into your training...I have ben useles since VLM. Have had a problem with my foot and several colds!

I did a short 3k run on the treadmill this morning..foot felt okay...but I felt exhausted..still not 100% I think. Lots of family stresses taking their toll !

14/05/2012 at 20:34

Choisty - looking forward to parkrun!

I ran Kingsclere Twist last summer and boy was it hot going up that first hill through the field. My personal highlight of the day was vaulting the stile - left hand on the post and clean over, barely breaking my stride as I landed. God knows how or why I did that.....but it was a fantastic feeling and still makes me smile thinking about it now.

Only downside is that my wife is mumbling about going away and it could unfortunately be that w/e..... 

Newbury - enjoyable being on my doorstep, but not easy with the constantly changing footing. I think we get road, grass. gravel track, grass track, footpath and that's just the first 5k then pavement, canal tow path, and road to finish!

14/05/2012 at 20:59

Yo people! Missed me?

Oscarr, sorry about the run fella, tried to get on here sooner, but seems that work expect me to do stuff... And been applying for a couple of jobs workng.

Good to see everyone is getting back into it (or in mcs' case, geared up) or hoping to. I've just got a couple of 10ks over the summer and then into halfs in September/October. Was going to do Choisty's race, but it's my nipper's birthday that weekend and OH wasn't very happy about the potential of me missing it...

Wow, I seem to have missed so much in the past week or so...

BTW, I'm so up for Abingdon next year it's silly...

14/05/2012 at 21:08

Hey Bo, good to see you back - got images of you doing the "john travolta" posture exercise (complete with flairs) - how's your running at the moment ?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.