Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

2,881 to 2,900 of 4,502 messages
07/01/2013 at 12:22
Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

Just to add to the general consensus on core work...

Et tu, Sleepy? Et tu? 

Bo - are you able to cross-train (e.g. cycle)?  I hope you get given some good practical advice what to do.

mcs
08/01/2013 at 11:41

Four and a bit mile plod to work wore the heart strap which I dont do very often my heart rate was around 140bpm. Need to go and check what my max is but that hurts so dont fancy that, what should it be SB then? You are the figures guru? 170 going off the age thing. Was able to get it up to 185 a couple of years ago but dont think I could now. Whats the best way to test this?
Heres a question for discussion, debate. Is it right to take Ibupofren before a race?

08/01/2013 at 12:00

Another question - what do people think about folk who spit during a run? - a necessary thing in active sports or should not be done?

mcs
08/01/2013 at 12:08

Not needed if fit. No to drugs......too by the way.

08/01/2013 at 12:18

mcs - the max HR formulae are garbage for most people.  I've trained alongside someone of the same age as me who's normal training heart rate on a steady run would kill me.  At a max heart rate of 170 (you're almost my age), I'd be walking slowly in training (my true max is about 20bpm higher!). If you don't fancy doing a heart rate test (and I don't blame you for not wanting to), then you can at least get a good idea by wearing your monitor during, say, a 5k race and seeing your highest rate.

Oscarr - I've lived in China.  Spitting during a run pales into insignificance.

08/01/2013 at 12:27

Ten - how big are the pales in China?

mcs
08/01/2013 at 13:12

Huge I would imagine I have a relative living out there, crazy world!! Only 13 posts to 3000 I want it!!!

08/01/2013 at 14:23

lalalalalala - I adjusted my max HR based on a 10k I did last year - it's about 10 beats higher than the theoretical max.  I would take Ten's advice and do a 5k blast and see what it is at the end!

Everyone seen the new marathon on the scene... claims to be flatter than London, Berlin, Paris, Chicago and New York...

http://www.theyorkshiremarathon.com/about.html

Another one to add to my ever growing list

mcs
08/01/2013 at 14:47

Thought Japan was now the sixth major!!! York would be a nice marathon event though lovely City.

08/01/2013 at 15:44
I saw the Yotkshire marathon. Didn't realise it was claiming to be that, nice.

Ten, I've been given streaching to do (very much like running streaches). Pain killers are v powerful and not able to do much at all. Not at work. I have trapped the v2 sciatic nerve. Sport is totally out of the question, I can't even drive...
08/01/2013 at 16:44

mcs - ibuprofen, no.  However, Immodium.....  sometimes.

Oscarr - d'oh! 

SB - I'm resisting the temptation to start adding autumn marathons into the mix just yet.  I think I'll work on shorter distance and speedwork again through summer.  Only this time I won't increase distance at the same time as speed - to hopefully avoid injury.

Bo - hope you get well soon!

08/01/2013 at 17:27

Six mile GA this morning. Should have been ten m (per schedule) but cut it back:

1. Sore from w/e XC's - 2 races in two days so 11 hilly, soggy miles in spikes

2. Ran out of time - electrician coming to the house at 8:30 am - he was punctual

3. Xmas treat tomorrow - runner's fitness assessment at Porsche Human Development Centre, Hangar Straight, Silverstone, courtesy of my dear wife and mother in law!

Guess which one I am most excited about?

08/01/2013 at 17:29

Bo - feel for you - give it the time it needs and only get running when fully fixed - you WILL get running again so don't worry

08/01/2013 at 17:31
Mike Sheridan wrote (see)

.. courtesy of my dear wife and mother in law!

Guess which one I am most excited about?

Depends what your mother in law looks like !!

08/01/2013 at 17:55

Who's the most expensive - wife or M-i-L?

Understandable decision to take it a bit easier Mike - my pulse at the end of my preset treadmill sesh was back up this morning - the only other time it was close to where it was today was the Tuesday after the last xc - hmmm - obvious link! Still it was one beat lower than that time today but 5 beats up on last week!

Feeling a gazillion times better today so off to yoga with ma neighbour this evening! Anyone want to place bets as to how long it takes us to be sent to the naughty corner for giggling

My next months training looks like this :

this week : 4½ hours / next week : same  / week after  5 hours  / week after 5 hrs 35.  Let the build up commence .  Still base building at this point so lots of easy running + 1 bike ride a week.  Training officially starts 4th March - that's starting to sound ominously close

08/01/2013 at 18:38

Did a multi session thingy today for the first time for ages - bit like a Reiki day 

a.m. 45 mins spinning session at the health club

p.m. 4 mile recovery run (bit quick @9:17mpm) followed by full strength exercise session in the garage#

Did someone say "beer?" - "does a bear shit in the woods?" 

08/01/2013 at 22:02
Hi Sleepy - your build up looks good for your prep work prior to Wall training starting. Like you, 4th March is the start of my formal training. I'm taking a slightly different approach to the winter work and am concentrating on strength and some sped work whilst keeping miles at about 25 a week. Will build up from now to about 35 before march. How I start the Wall training will depend where I am at that point.
mcs
09/01/2013 at 09:38

Sympathy and empathy to you Bo as I have been there two years ago and know how frustrating it can be lying there feeling annoyed and frustrated. Be patient and use the opportunity to read everything you can and catch up on the bills and paperwork. I read Professor Brian Cox's latest book it hurt my head and my back!!! Very interesting book though.
Did an interval session on the way home in the dark with failing batteries in the head torch but got my heart rate up to 179 at the end of a third sprint session, could probably get more out of my skinny legs in daylight. Will try again later this week. Hard work though it didn't kill me!! Pilates with youngest too last night to stretch me out!!!

09/01/2013 at 10:13

5m recovery this morning.

Looking increasingly likely I'm going to be running 10m with head torch tomorrow morning.  It was easier to organise during the holidays 

09/01/2013 at 10:21

Hill reps tonight at club night

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.