Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

3,141 to 3,160 of 4,505 messages
15/02/2013 at 12:10

Choisty - running in pipe & slippers then? That should slow you down to our pace....

15/02/2013 at 12:16

I'm looking forward to setting all new age PB's and maybe emmulate you and win some prizes

15/02/2013 at 13:01

hApPy bIrThDaY Choisty!  Getting older is awesome for many reasons, and age group competition has to be up there!

Ten, mcs and all, I think we are very hard on ourselves and I totally agree with what SB said, particularly about sleep.  For me it's about identity, I can become a bag lady in my imagination as soon as I feel threatened, and I also think that a lot of runners are drawn to the sport for the positive head space it brings.

mcs
15/02/2013 at 14:47

Anybody ever won anything on this site??? I haven't!!!! Could do with a new timex as the old one which I use with my Heart Rate monitor has bust, the straps bust!!!

Nice advice there SB can I stay in bed on Sunday then instead of doing another 16 miler?   Only 21 days to running day with Oscarr.......looking forward to that hope we get some decent weather, very exposed if we dont..............better get up and run me thinks!!!  Nice weekend to all..........off to do some tiling for daughter a nice restful evening ahead!!!

15/02/2013 at 15:52

Merry birthmas Choisty!  Glad your knee is feeling better - be kind to it - you're supposed to be wise as of today ya know

mcs - get out that door! You can however have a treat when you get home - I hereby declare that to be a legal requirement! Crikey 3 weeks - that's come round quick!

Inlaws are landing here for the weekend - we're heading to Chatsworth for a family walk - am glad - am shattered this week.  Think I've been trying to cram too many things into my week.

Time for a time out and then will get back to it next week!  (Amazing how tiring HR training is to say that I don't feel like I'm doing much when I'm out actually training - yip, still persevering with it!)

15/02/2013 at 17:12

Great day for running today - feels like spring has sprung 

8m with strides today.  The first time I have ever tried running strides outdoors!  How cool are they?  They always feel so hard on the treadmill maxing out at 6:40 pace, but today I hit 4:37 pace and enjoyed every one of them.  They just didn't feel so regimented.  I didn't even know I could go that fast   (albeit just for 30 or 40 yards of the strides).

Tomorrow's a rest day, since I'll be doing a spot of market research in London with the missus.  Then a nice easy fourteen miler is scheduled for Sunday to round off the recovery week (43m total).  Next week looks intimidating, so god only knows why I'm looking forward to it!   With the kids on half-term I should be able to do some nice early runs in the light without having to rush back.

15/02/2013 at 17:26

Ten - 4:37 phew! Sounds like a good few days lined up for you so enjoy every minute.

15/02/2013 at 17:26

Ten sounds great...maybe you are Usain Bolt in disguise?

Thanks for the birthday wishes...today I went out for an easy 5 and twisted my ankle...I think age is creeping up on me

15/02/2013 at 18:07

Thanks Mike/Choisty.  It's more likely my garmin is just lying   Usain Bolt's top speed was reputed to be 27.45mph, which is a shade under 2:12 pace!!!  Putting 2:12 mile time into the race-time predictor gives him a marathon time of 1:10:07   

I don't want to worry you Choisty, but I was a 2:10 marathoner before I hit forty years of age .  At least, I assume I was.  I never actually ran before I was forty, so it's a guesstimate.  You know age is really creeping up on you when you twist your ankle getting out of bed in the morning.

15/02/2013 at 18:13

No Ten, it's when you twist it IN bed!

Hope it's not too bad a twist there Choisty.

I have gone sub 5 min/miling every time I have run along Threadneedle Street, always makes me smile. 

6.5 for me today, continuous hills for 2.5 of that, very fun. 

And I have spent 4 hours cooking!  Not sure how!

17/02/2013 at 14:35
reikirabbit wrote (see)

......it's when you twist it IN bed!

Sounds like a story that should be shared! 

This morning I had one of my most enjoyable runs ever.  A quarter of a mile, running home with my 6yo son.  He was laughing his head off and had me beaming from ear to ear.  He's no slouch either!   I'm going to have to knuckle down with my speedwork!

Earlier I went out for an easy 14m run to complete the "recovery" week (43m total).  If all goes to plan, then this upcoming week will be my highest mileage week ever.  In particular, I'm dreading and looking forward to the threshold session in equal measure.

17/02/2013 at 16:08
No twist in bed but Bramley 20 was good today at MP finishing in 2:02 although made it .25 long. Got second vet and the three mile warm down has left me feeling bouncy again. Good running out there today and it was good to meet mike at the end
17/02/2013 at 16:27

My mind is well and truly boggled by that pace!  Well done Choisty (you old git)! 

17/02/2013 at 16:45

Hi all ! I will read what i have missed later but as for today at Bramley, that was not one of my best decisions.

I had done some longish runs before holiday but then spent 2 weeks scuba diving with almost no running (2 aqua jogs and a short run on one of the islands).  Took best part of 2 days to get home with very little sleep and got back yesterday afternoon.  Have got raging pains from an infection in my left ear which i am still taking strong pain killers and anti-biotic drops for (had same in right ear earlier in the week).

With Bramley being a 2 lap course you can choose between 10 and 20 miles.  Most sensible thing would have been to do the 10miler at a reasonable pace and clog it for the last 2.  So what did I do?  You guessed it, ran the 20 miler at MP !!!!!

Going great through 10 and 15 miles then all the above kicked in and my legs fell off.  Did it in 3:19.  Only good thing was that the pain in my legs diverted my attention away from the pain in my ear!!  I took a really long time to recover and still feel sh.t now.

Shower then to bed i think.  I don't think i will ever learn !!!!!

Looked for Choisty but by then he probably was at home having been out shopping, decorated the lounge and done a 10 mile cool down run.

17/02/2013 at 18:01

Well done Choisty - good to meet you with a silver plate in your arms. First of many I should think.

Oscarr - good to hear you are back but shame about the ears.

I had a different plan to Choisty and Oscarr - a progressive run with the last 6 at MP. My splits over each successive 5m came out like this: 41:13; 40:52; 39:26 and 36:35 1st half 1:22:05 and 2nd half 1:16:01, total 1:38:06 (all garmin) so after my PB run at Wokingham last week I am pleased enough with that...

18/02/2013 at 12:20

Just caught up with the last 2 weeks of posts.

Ten - great to see you have some light at the end of the tunnel

mcs - great you seem to have some employment options

Choisty/Mike - great running at Wok and Bramley - medal winners

Sleepy - you'll be entering Miss Universe contests next with all this variety of fitness

Everyone else - great running

Next adventure for me is Grindleford Gallop (21m hill race) with mcs on 9th March

18/02/2013 at 13:35

Oscarr i was there 'til the end to collect the prize shame we didn't see each other, nice work on being silly and going for the 20, out of interest did you find that some wiseguy had put in more hills on the second lap?

18/02/2013 at 18:34

Welcome back oscarr!  And tutty tut tut tut LOL Guess I'm gonna be in charge of pacing for the wall then!  I hereby call for you to publicly promise that you will not be doing any "hare-ing" until the afternoon of the second day. Until then we are on a strict energy conservation mission - either that or else Choisty/Mike are gonna have to dress up as me and run with you (Hope you get better quickly)

Well done Mike & Silver Surfer/Collector / Ten

Right - all round to rieki's - after 4hours there has to be a mountain to eat

My birthday present arrived yesterday - purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - a polar RC3 with GPS - new toy, new toy

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 18:35
18/02/2013 at 20:04

Sleepy - I promise, i promise - and you are definately in charge of pacing for The Wall.  Long and slow for me now right through to June (well, maybe a bit quicker at the Coniston 14, tee hee).  

19/02/2013 at 10:02

Yesterday was tough after Bramley but managed 6 easy in the evening after 10 steady at lunch...could be a big week this one

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.