Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

3,221 to 3,240 of 4,501 messages
27/02/2013 at 14:01

Well that was an interesting sesh: 2 miles warm up, 2 miles at MP, 2 miles cool down.  My new MP (8.56) took my HR to 170 by the end though I still felt just like I was running steady - will map the data over time and see if drops down as I go along...  Just goes to show eh - you can feel fine but your body's working hard/recovering from a previous run!

mcs - PB 1:45:01 (pesky little second!!!!) Haven't really targeted a half for the last 5 years, they've always been training towards something else so I figure it's time to update it   Loving your Grindleford attitude - I'm so jealous - it sounds fab - either next year or the year after for me I reckon!

27/02/2013 at 14:05

Oh yeah and before I forget .... we're gonna book for Cyprus in teh next few weeks if anyone's still interested in a group jolly.  The early bird discounts expire on 31.03.2013.

I shall give yous all a nudge when the deed is done...

27/02/2013 at 21:38

Three good running things to report today:

1. On massage table at 8:00 am - first 20 mins easy and then ouch for the rest

2.Package arrived full of High5 gels at below manufacturer's cost £16.99 v £25.55

3. 11m run tonight: 2m w/u then 6 @ HMP (or as near as...) 7:36 hilly; 7:33 hilly; 7:00 flat; 7:07 downhill; 6:52 downhill; 7:22 uphill & interupted by car, then 3m jog home.

27/02/2013 at 23:03

Great running Mike.

mcs - have been looking at the GG info - i have printed the route guidance notes and i have the OS map but do i really need these or is the route marked well enough??

Reiki - I will look at my plans for Coniston later but first thought is that i will go up friday morning (currently booked for friday and sat nights) and leave to come back late afternoon on Sunday after the hike/run with Sleepy so if you are going up thursday and back sunday morning it may be better to book the train both ways??

Good session at track tonight with pyramid runs at 5K pace.  Did a 30 minute row at home this morning followed by exercises.  Tomorrow morning is my spinning class for 40 minutes followed by a few miles running to put the muscles back in the right direction! 

27/02/2013 at 23:09

Sleepy - if you are looking at Cyprus then you may wish to compare pricing of 2 options for the same arrangements - first is all in with 2:09 Events and second is booking the same hotel via travel/hotel website and book the race event direct with the Cyprus organiser.  Flights you have to book yourself anyway in both options - you need to book transfers cos taxis are rediculously expensive in Cyprus although public buses are really cheap.

28/02/2013 at 06:58

Oscarr 

Sadly you could be right, will check out trains later after work and report back. 

Thanks for the advice on the gels people, I think maybe I'll stick to the one then, well for Sunday at Spitfire for a start.  Am planning a progression 20 ending with 6 miles @ MP.  

SB I meant to say that my plan for Coniston sounds similar to yours. 

I have been keeping HR records for a while now, must get analytical!  I do know that I peaked at 151 on my 6 yesterday, but went up to 205 on my pyramid session on Tuesday.  

mcs
28/02/2013 at 11:03

Might be worth having them with you Oscar though folk tell me that there are walkers all round the course who have set off earlier so not a problem route finding.  Guess thats easy for me to say knowing it all but if the weather is bad then might be worth having it with you.  I can always talk you through the route prior to the run as there are a couple of points where I guess you could get lost.  Not sure the route is marked will ask a friend who did it last year.
Final commute to work this morning was a little emotional but a bootiful morning running slowly down the trail took me 30 mins to do three miles as didn't want to go fast!!!! Coniston 14 sounds like its going to be a big meet up of the Asics 2011 bootcamp session!!

Have a good day all.

mcs
28/02/2013 at 11:16

Dont think you need the OS map the directions should be enough. Shame the weather looks like it will turn at the end of next week, beautiful here at the moment, predicting rain for next Friday/ Saturday. Can change in a week hopefully.

28/02/2013 at 11:49

thanks mcs, will wait for any updates re the course marking

All - just had an email  from Zipvit - they have just won an industry award for their gels and have announced some new flavours coming out at the end of March including, would you believe, Rhubarb and Custard plus Bakewell Tart and their new caffeine one is Smooth Espresso !!!!!!!!!!

28/02/2013 at 12:00

Morning all!

Mike - really?  that bad?  The physios who are teaching us are very much of the 'pain is bad' school of thought.  Pain can indicate applying pressure to areas of microdamage which then just causes more damage.  Discomfort when using compressions on 'knots'  is sometimes unavoidable as the area is tender to start with but I am very concerned about how many people have painful experiences.  I will chat with the physios again at the weekend.

I saw my 2:24 guy last night - such a lovely chap - he was doing 120 mpw when he ran his pb but is now very much a cross-training convert and attributes it to his lack of injury over the long term. 

reiki - cracking - we can run together then???

oscarr - oooooh - will look forward to trying those - I've just about run out of my stash of blackcurrant ones but I need to be brave and finish the cola ones I'm still stuck with.  They're not that bad really I suppose (she says trying to convince herself LOL).  Thanks for the reminder, I remember now you saying about booking direct.  I have the brochures here so I will look at them again when I can get Ben to sit down and confirm he can get the time off! Am going by myself if needs be - yes I am - you cannae stop me

Going out this afternoon to do my long run (2hs 25) as I am on my course this weekend so can't do it then.  Think I'll be walking quite a bit but on a sunny day like today that's no hardship

Enjoy the sun whilst it's here folks (and if you can get outside)

28/02/2013 at 12:35

Spinning done this morning - it really is a great 40 mins of hard work and certainly equiv to at least 4 miles running hard but with no impact so its kind on the joints etc.  Got a slightly sore right achilles so am foam rollering and icing and will do spinning again tomorrow instead of running.  Long run planned for Sunday (15 miles very slow).

28/02/2013 at 12:44

Sleepy - regarding Coniston, i've just checked my ultra schedule (RW Ultimate one) and the week after Coniston (week 4) is a cut back week so only 38 miles or about 6.5 hours - mind you the day after Coniston we are due to do 3.5 hrs to finish week 3. Reckon Coniston needs to be a progressive paced run for me with only the last few miles all out.  Start with the HR crew and gradually increase ????

mcs
28/02/2013 at 13:36

Just had a nice little lunchtime run up the hill at the end of the Trail Oscarr where you run up over the golf course, its like a swamp where the bikers have been coming down I reckon and water running down it. Beautiful day here, just sat at the top of the hill on a bench taking in the view over to Chatsworth and its fantastic. Will miss these lunchtime plods. Where I am going to is on an industrial estate in the middle of Clay Cross! Joy.
Must try some zipvits can you only get them on line?

28/02/2013 at 19:33

mcs I really feel for your loss of the beauty of that commute. 

I have loads of the blackcurrant Zips, did get that email alerting me to the new flavours, mind you I used to always have Torqs and they had rhubarb & custard, not to mention a couple of yoghurt flavours. 

I just don't get why the caffeine content needs to be so extreme! 

SB you could be on!  How hilly is Coniston do we know? 

First things first of course with the 20 on Sunday.  WIsh I was doing the Wall as I am all about duration and recovery walks. 

Today my Pilates class was cancelled, couldn't get in as the substitute teacher had no keys or phone number to contact or anything, mega annoying that as it left me two hours early for work. 

Just did a set of Sam's strength exercises and that was that, too tired now to do bike or anything ahead of an out and back faster session in the morning.

Gothenburg on the tele so will record that and watch my training chums from Tuesday in the pm as I veg out.

28/02/2013 at 21:53

mcs - forgot to ask - i presume its trail shoes for GG ?

28/02/2013 at 22:06

Just caught up on a month of posts. Some good progress being made by all!
I have been working pretty hard, not sleeping well and not having much luck yet in finding a new job.
My running hasn't been great for most of that period, I've just not had the inclination and felt uninspired (apart from parkrun).
As a result my mileage over the past few weeks has been (since my job news):
16,15,11,10, but this week I ran a fast 5k on Saturday - my fastest parkrun since September, and it brought my Ranking back up a bit, 10m on Sunday morning (it was cold, I was tired and hurting from the day before, but once I got into it, it went surprisingly well), I ran 5m and 3m on Tuesday and 5m today at lunchtime. So 26m since Saturday is pretty good and I feel better for it.
I just hope I can find something work wise soon, I have been projectiong into the future how long I would last before I hit the streets

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 22:09
01/03/2013 at 08:41

mcs - I think so - I've not seen them in any shops - but then I don't go to physical shops very often!

reiki - I had a look at the website the other day - it says it's undulating with the main climb being up to Brantwood towards the latter stages.  I can't remember those roads too clearly but I think round there the climbs are fairly short though can be steep.

oscarr - your call - just as long as you don't trash yourself it'll be ok!  My programme is already getting chopped about a bit as I try to cram the crucial bits in during the week to accommodate my course and weekend commitments but I'm not worried by it.  Looking forward to "officially" being in-training again!

AC8 - sorry to hear of your woes - keep your chin up and keep going - something will come up soon I'm sure. But don't let yourself start catastrophising yet  - you'll just stress yourself more. There's no point worrying about something that hasn't yet happened.  Fingers, toes and paws crossed for you! Let us know how you're getting on when you can

mcs
01/03/2013 at 09:06
Ac I would write with a CV and letter to every company you know who you would like to work for and tell everyone you know you are in the market for work, do anything to get you working would be my preference as I don't think the ideal job is out there any more, all the best.
If it's wet Oscarr I am going to wear trail shoes. Day off better do some jobs.
Happy Friday all.
01/03/2013 at 09:29

AC8 - hope you can still keep your spirits up some how - good to see you doing some running as i found that at times of stress a good run helped clear my head and put things into perspective a bit

mcs - thanks, trail shoes it is - will be good to chat about the points to look out for re directions when i get up there - plan to drive up on friday morning

Reiki - i may stay an extra night (Sunday) at Coniston to do the long session with Sleepy and Mr Sleepy so best to look at trains both ways i think 

01/03/2013 at 12:35

Happy hunting mcs & oscarr - enjoy the hills and stay on the track!

MLR of 12m from 6:30am this morning in an average pace of 8:42mim/m. Pretty uneventful but noticed the lack of breakfast from about 8m......

20m to do over the w/e and the final xc race of the season so will be busy.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.