Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

3,261 to 3,280 of 4,505 messages
04/03/2013 at 16:33
Great running Mike, Reiki and Ten. Especially pleased for you Ten after all you've been through recently to get such a good PB.

Sleepy - if Coniston is a scoring event for you does that mean you will be running it hard now? (Tongue slightly in cheek!!) which snack size bar did you try this weekend - I need to try choc bars as well as flapjacks cos the flaps I made made my front teeth ache it was tht solid !!!! I know what you mean about fitting the ultra training runs in to a busy week - I have already had to shuffle things around for the first three weeks and will probably end up doing some of my back to backs midweek especially when we have to do 3 hrs one day and 4 plus hours the day after - good job I'm retired!!
04/03/2013 at 16:48

Thanks Oscarr. I appreciate the sentiment.  I think you (and Sleepy) will do well on your new plan once you settle into a routine.

SB - interesting weight loss plan you've devised.  Run slower to burn more fat calories, and consume a snack-sized bar every thirty minutes. 

04/03/2013 at 19:42

Yes Ten, I was wondering what they are bars of. 

This ultra business is so exciting.  

04/03/2013 at 21:13

oscarr - - no - my handicap has been dropping since last August (cos Langdale didn't count) so just turning up should be enough to drop it

LOL - Need the carbs to 'ignite' the fat!!!!  I buy multipack bags of Tesco funsize bars:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264257240

My particular favourite is the Cool Coconut but so far they are all just as tasty as their brand name rivals and perfect as about 100 cals each!

So maths-people (ie cheeky Ten) - running for an hour = 5 - 600 cals - consume 200 cals = use 3 - 400!

mcs
04/03/2013 at 21:34
Hectic day in print but really enjoyed it. My number came too with the timing gadget on the back as per last yr. Nice running ten. Rain for Saturday which is s shame.
04/03/2013 at 21:38

Happy days and sad days!

Sleaford has now been added to rB (something to do with an admin error - apparently it did in fact have a licence) - but hasn't improved my handicap - though if I remember rightly from last year it takes a few days to update.  oooooh ooooh gonna have to check every few days now LOL

The forecast might change again mcs - fingers crossed for you!

04/03/2013 at 21:40

oooh and my first top 10 finish as a V40!!!! Happy Happy Joy Joy - I was 9th! BONUS

04/03/2013 at 22:19

Well done SB - 1st of many?

04/03/2013 at 22:47

SB - on a more serious note regarding training the body to burn fat.... listen to 'Talk Ultra' - there have been some interesting discussions about fueling for ultra's.  One thing I picked up was that it's thought that you would be better to consume protein before the long run, then avoid carbs for about ninety minutes into the run.  This encourages the body to burn fat for fuel.  At this point consuming carbs won't make a lot of difference and the body will still endeavour to burn fat.  I'm paraphrasing, but that's it in a nutshell.  I think these things were discussed in episodes 18 and 19, though I'm not certain.  You have plenty of time to listen on those upcoming long runs 

Congratulations on the top 10 finish! 

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 22:50
05/03/2013 at 08:14

LOL - thanks guys - not bad for an event that I used as a long run eh!  Think I'm gonna enjoy being one of the alleged fewer 'older' ladies!

Ooooh thanks Ten - I will have to make time for that. 

05/03/2013 at 08:23
Edited: 05/03/2013 at 08:24
05/03/2013 at 08:24

oops!

05/03/2013 at 08:29

Ten - thanks for the fat burning stuff - makes sense and is line with the article i still have from RW about it and i quote "Researchers have found that training in a carb-depleted state helps your muscles adapt to burning more fat and boosts your body's capacity for stored carbohydrates by as much as 50%."   Idea is to do some longish runs from a carb depleted starting point. RW Dec 2012 issue page 79.

05/03/2013 at 09:37

It's kinda funny how the nutrition ideas seem to go in cycles, but it's also dead confusing when there are conflicting opinions from the experts.  Tim Noakes has changed his ideas about nutrition, so you won't get the same advice in two different editions of his book   Paleo seems to be where it's at most recently.

At the end of the day, it's the amount of training you do that will make the real difference - not the food you shove in your gob*

*pure Tenjiso theory

05/03/2013 at 12:38

Ten - its all a balance at the end of the day and you're right, the most important thing is the amount of training you do but when you can identify an area for improvement then it's worth looking at I think - in my case i know i suffer from carb depletion at the end of very long races so if i can improve my bodies ability to burn fat and carbs more efficiently then i may be able to enhance and reward the efforts of all the training with a better race performance.  Here's hoping 

mcs
05/03/2013 at 20:35

Manic day in print!!! Survived just learning to run loads of different machinery again after a nine year break is tough.  Got home and went up the Edge of Longstone and saw the sun going down a lovely sunset. A 5.5 miler in 52 mins thinks 10 minute miling on Saturday sounds good as my brain and body is tired being stood on my feet all day rather than sat at a desk selling and emailing all day!! Might make me stronger in the long run!! Well done SB on a top ten finish............. Time for some food starving now.

05/03/2013 at 21:01
Hi guys. Sorry not been about, but had over 8 weeks of no running and couldn't cope with reading about people's great running

I've been put on 30/500 co-coldimol to increase pain management and my GP has referred mt to tier 2 pain management services. Looks like the nerve in my back has release, but got damage still. Bummer. Got a triage appointment. On Monday and he's written to them to get me a steroid epidural, seems confident that should sort the problem.

Did go for a sneeky 3 miler at the weekend, 9:30mm left me breathless and struggling. Gonna go to the gym and try dreadmill to get fitness back without adding any strain. Mate has been challenged to play rugby, so we're going to go together to ease the boredom.

Can't wait to get to get back out on road and build up to Abingdon. And get the sofa weight off!
06/03/2013 at 10:54

Bo - good luck with that. I'm not sure if a steroid epidural and rugby would be on many physio's list of treatments!

Last night went out for a LT effort: 2m w/u (bloody freezing as didn't wear enough - seduced by the evening sun), then 5 x 5km pace over 600m was the plan.

As I set my Garmin in miles I guessed at 0.30m for each rep off 105 secs jog recovery, and here is the result:

Pace min/m: 6:15; 6:07; 6:15; 6:22; 6:24

The first two were slightly downhill at the start and the last two compromised by traffic, so all in all a fair result on DOMS sore quads after the final XC on Sunday.

06/03/2013 at 11:18

Bo - don't rush it, mate.  You have more than enough time to get ready for Abingdon, as long as you recover fully first.

Mike - great pace as usual!

mcs - good to see you're settling into the job.

06/03/2013 at 16:19

Ditto to all Ten's points above! What have I told you about stealing my thoughts?

90 minutes ticked off for me today with 3 (last week was 2) miles at MP - again felt fine and my HR at the end of the MP effort was only a beat higher than last week so happy happy!

My polar web analysis makes interesting reading - you get a graph system where:

green =You are recovered from previous training sessions and ready to train more. If you're continuously in green you can increase your cumulative training load by adding more training sessions to your weekly plan or making the training sessions more intensive.  Intensive training sessions and races should preferably be done when you are "in green".

yellow = Cumulative training load is on a high level. You can still train but should avoid high intensity training and/or races.

And red =Cumulative training load is on a very high level. If you continue training when "in red", it may lead to a state of overreaching.

I have ascertained that you can swing from red to green within 2 days as long as you do an easy day after what it considers a hard day (either over 2 hours or involves efforts seems to do it).  Luckily I haven't crossed the line marked 'training NOT recommended' halfway up the red zone yet...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.