Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

321 to 340 of 4,505 messages
19/05/2012 at 14:47

hi all no notifications plus mayhem at work have conspired again!  Just caught up.

I have hardly been running at all - a club 3.5 last Saturday in just under 28 mins easily and all seemed OK again, but hip flared up and behind right knee.

It's a TfL problem but rollering seems to make it worse such that knee wants to collapse rather than sustain the pain of going down stairs.  That's one minute, the next t's absolutely fine.  

Multitasking here watching tri in the kitchen and red button from Shanghai in the front room whilst cooking and catching up online of course and rubbing leg!

The other one.

Can't wait for Manchester City Games tomorrow, two of the coaches I work with are competing so I will be on the major hurry up to get back from Stockley Park where we are doing the marshalling with police cadets.  I have also entered but the course will be awful if wet and of course I don't want to aggravate the injury.

Is anyone doing BUPA next weekend? 

19/05/2012 at 20:14
AC: take it easy, I got calf issues about 6 years ago and took months to heal.
Couldn't walk and had to be carried down two flights of stairs by a female boss... That was interesting.

Did 7 miles of LTs yesterday. Loved it, but glad no one was about to see me... Really looking forward to an 11 miler tomorrow. Been starting to up my carb count the day before these sessions now. Nothing major, but slight.

Decided that going to run Brighton with UNICEF...
mcs
20/05/2012 at 18:22
7.56 miles in one hour four mins with young fast brother......in the early dawn. Carb up time!!
mcs
21/05/2012 at 11:43

Six days to go............shouldn't have put the cricket on!!

21/05/2012 at 14:10

Cooooeeee everyone - I'm back (and in one piece just about!)

Looks like it's been a busy week - will have to go back and read all the posts again - I don't seem to have taken it all in first sweep through!

Mission completed - 42.5 hilly miles in horizontal hail, snow (very welcome bursts of sunshine) and stunning scenery done and dusted! Met some very inspiring folks and now got my heart set on returning next year even if I can't do the whole week! Legs feel surprisingly ok - was over the moon after Monday's half that I could go out and do a trail 5 miler at roughly the same pace! (What a difference slowing down a minute a mile makes).  Ben had a good romp around at training pace and we won the 1st 2 person team prize in the marathon relays.  Also got to meet Elspeth which was lovely, though not til later in the week - really happy she'll be at Langdale too.

My times for anyone curious (am very happy with them - had forgotten quite how hilly it is up there but loved every minute of it!)

Monday - ½ marathon - 2:01:12

Tuesday - 5.21 trail run - 49.10

Wednesday - 10 miler mixed terrain (tho apparently closer to 10.5 miles) - 1.44.33

Thursday - 5k beach/dunes run - 29.05

Saturday - 11 mile leg - 1:41.10 (especially happy with this as I did it in 2005 as just a one day event and was only a minute quicker despite similar conditions)

Haven't worked out the average pace of the week yet - somewhere between 9 and 10 m/m as hoped. Happy days!

Pretty sure I've put weight on this week as was so worried about running out of energy - better start behaving myself again!

Back to unpacking - hope all is going well with folks!

21/05/2012 at 14:16
Sounds like a grueler sleepy

Right guys new running shoes time! Any reccomendations, I'm after a cushioned shoe and had the nimbus 12 but they have ripped so thinking about a swop to new balance 1080. Thoughts.....?
Edited: 21/05/2012 at 14:29
mcs
21/05/2012 at 16:45

Asics Kayano my choice, they are like slippers.  Sunshine here is blinding, hope it cools abit for the weekend.

mcs
21/05/2012 at 16:46

Great running SB and hubby sounds like a busy week!!

21/05/2012 at 19:19

Sleepy - good to have you and Ben back and well done indeed for the marathon team win - sounds like a great week

mcs - hope you are resting well and fuelling up - just finished Hal Higdon's book (after finishing Sam's); i think you followed HH schedule so what was your peak weekly mileage, length of longest run/how many done and did you do the midweek kinda long runs?? 

21/05/2012 at 20:03
Sleepy: that sounds like proper hard work! Well done on the win. How cool is that!
21/05/2012 at 21:34

Thanks all! Yeah it's pretty cool Bo - pretty handy to have had such a massive head start (useful husband) we're not doing the 2 man anymore - starting to feel a bit like pot hunters and so it's time to try the full mara (yip even Ben - though it'll be more like a hillday for him as he's going to keep me company.)

Sorry can't help with shoes Luke - I'm just about to downgrade from the 2160s to 1160s as I got a corking blister on my arch during the half last week.  Luckily I'd taken my inov8s too which seem to have much less arch support and they saw me through the rest of the week merrily (thank goodness).

As for how tough the week was - the winners of the solo marathon were 3:03 (male) and 3:48 (female) but then it includes 2500 feet of climbing.  Amazing - I think I'll be much slower than that!

22/05/2012 at 08:16
Went for Asics Gel Cumulus 13 off sportsshoes.co.uk never bought shoes on line belfore. We're a lot cheaper tho. I liked the nimbus but they ripped in the same place after 4 months so hoping that these last to b retired to playing squash.
mcs
22/05/2012 at 12:21

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Edinburgh/long.html weather causing me some anxiety, not that I can change it but 18 degrees full sun ouch.......

Oscarr I used Hal Higdons until 16 weeks out then I switched to RW ultimate sub four schedule thats on line here, I believe Steve Smythe is the writer of these. I just reduced as per Sam's instructions the last two long runs. But I have done 15-17-15 which included a fast pb for the half- an 18 mile super hilly long run- 21miler-14miler including a pb for the half of 1.42.49 then 7.5 last Sunday. So not done as many over 20 this year but feel stronger and not injured coming to the line this Sunday.  Hoping the plan works for a good steady run with a pb to beat of 4.35. The warm is not something I like and not run in it all year, cap is going to be packed. Felt rubbish running to work today, but gave myself a talking to re all the miles done this year so far, over 500 training miles since January.
Good to see you back SB and congrats on the trophy!!

22/05/2012 at 16:22

Super running there SB!  Looks like you had a great time.

Good luck for Sunday mcs!  Looks like you might be needing the P20!

My running is big fat zero.  A bit sore, but very moderate pain thus far.  I'm hopeful of a gradual return to exercise at the end of the week, but I'm still doing the John Wayne strut at the moment.

22/05/2012 at 16:54

mcs - thanks - with that prep and your half times i think you have an excellant chance of beating your 4:35 pb - are you going to try running it all at 4:35 pace? - know what you mean about runs feeling rubbish at the end of the taper, think i read somewhere that its to be expected, anyway its Sunday that counts and you've done all the hard work and are fresh - plenty of sunblock on cheeks, neck and  shoulders and plenty of fluids enroute

Ten - keep wearing those tight undies .... 

22/05/2012 at 16:55

Sleepy - OH for the Olympic marathon in Rio in 2016??

23/05/2012 at 07:27

mcs> Good luck. Take plenty of salts and liquids.
I'm back running again, successfully did a 3m jog yesterday. I'm considering whether to revert back to my training schedule today with a fast 5m. *hmm*

23/05/2012 at 08:25

AC8 - great you are back running but you may want to ease back in gently with some more short easy runs before the quicker stuff

23/05/2012 at 09:34

Morning all

mcs - U'll be done by the time the sun hits its hottest at the rate you're going. My campaign starts this week and I'm hoping I can do as well as you have in your quest - I'd be over the moon with a half pb nevermind anything else! Feels a bit odd just starting as you're about to reap your rewards!

Am feeling pretty trashed today - nothing to do with running - had to tackle the jungle yesterday - you'd think we'd been away for a month given how much the grass has grown. Just an easy 40 minutes for me today!

Ten - Thank you - we had a great time - hope you're healing well!

oscarr - LOL!  How's your recovery coming along?

AC8 - what's your next goal?

mcs
23/05/2012 at 11:12
Packing up day. Day off work to sort cars etc do some jobs. Hot hot here. Went for a three miler at seven felt rubbish wife is not sure at the moment if she is running but the girls are. Thanks for the support and encouragement only got an old phone so may not get on till tuesday unless there is wifi in the house we are staying at. Have a good week and enjoy the sun.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.