Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

3,441 to 3,460 of 4,505 messages
20/03/2013 at 17:27

Yes I was joking   

Regarding the max HR - the only reason I'm concerned is because I want to be sure I'm training in the right zone for each workout (recovery/threshold/VO2max).  To do this effectively requires a fairly accurate figure for the max heart rate.  

It's not a huge problem, because I've been hitting all my target paces.  I'm just intrigued.  I'll save any experimentation until after the marathon.

21/03/2013 at 07:10

Reiki - have a safe journey up today

21/03/2013 at 07:32

Today looking like a good day to travel... see you up there reiki - will text when we arrive (if I still have a signal....)  Otherwise - plan to meet at the school (start) ¼ hr before?  It's a 1030 start isn't it - must check that! 

Did you say you're going up tomorrow oscarr? 

mcs - you're going straight there on Saturday aren't you?

Have I missed anyone? 

21/03/2013 at 08:38

Good luck everyone.  Is it on Saturday, or Sunday?

21/03/2013 at 09:02

11am start! 

Am leaving in a few minutes, will catch up as I go.  

I do hope the race isn't postponed! 

21/03/2013 at 09:17

Ten - it is Saturday 11 am start.

Sleepy, yes i plan to leave very early tomorrow morning partly to avoid the M6 friday mayhem but also to give me plenty of time to snow plough my way into Coniston - forecast now snow most of Friday but stopping before Sat morning.  Which camp site are you parking in and what plans for eat Friday night?  Good Pub Guide says The Sun in Coniston is good.  I'm in a B&B in Coniston.  Pretty sure mcs is travelling Sat morning.

Reiki - keep smiling

21/03/2013 at 10:15
mcs our pacemaker d'you mean?!

Now at Euston.
21/03/2013 at 11:57
Well I just caught up after my condensed and intense work week, and I'm delighted for you AC8 on all counts apart from the raspy running.

I missed Reading as I have mentally conquered those last two miles and was hopeful of a PB. However it is a Marathon PB i am in quest of, nothing else.

Speculation as to my head standing record fid not go unnoticed. Let me be clear that I have never knowingly stood on my head and have no plans in that direction although I did discover a fairly safe move called thread the needle.

I could really do with a HR tutorial and maybe I will start again with a beginners mind.

Like you Ten I am doubting my max which I thought was around 187 until I saw several higher readings. These are maverick most likely as my average comes in around 150 even for sessions that include intervals, I'm not using it to full or indeed to any potential though.

Accumulated fatigue is my constant companion these past couple of weeks, and Garmin, which usually only bleeps if I freak out on a steep hill ( which in turn won't happen anyway now that I am using lap average pace rather than real time pace), has alerted me as soon as I lock the front door'

Maybe I will turn alerts off.

Running today a 45 min recovery job ( my first of this VLM campaign) when I get to Coniston and can't wait. Love a slow as possible in nature.

Yesterday's progression run went to 10+ as I needed a couple of miles to get gojng before talking 10 secs off each mile and finishing with a 7:00.

It was on the AlterG though - niggly knee and ankle heralded that adjustment where common sense prevailed, as indeed it shall if there is ground snow up in Coniston!

I think I've booked myself a Pilates class in the morning. Their weekly class is on a Friday how cool is that.
21/03/2013 at 12:24

Have a fab journey reiki - we can chat HR lots on the way round if you like...

here's a link for journey reading if you want it:  http://www.polar.com/en/training_with_polar/training_articles

oscarr - we'll be at park coppice just SW of Coniston village - not sure of plans to eat yet - we'll have the dogs with us so unlikely to leave them for long - may have to be fish and chips in the van for us!  Not sure Lucky would be able to cope with a busy pub yet - he's just too nervous and will screach/do his high pitch panic barking.

Will text as soon as we get nearby - maybe we could meet up for a pre-race wander into the village (for a cake or two!) or walk up to the YH to see reiki cos we'll be taking the dogs out to be emptied if the weather isn't too horrendous.  We too are planning to set off a bit earlier than usual to allow for the snow!

If all else fails 10.45 by the gantry??? I will be wearing black stuff with turquoise flashes on my tights and quite possibly my buff - which has lots of little monkeys on it (I kid you not!)

Just had a fab run - my 3 at MP felt super-comfy today! Rock n Roll - happy happy

Oh and ps my new montane waterproof trousers (bought for the Wall) have just arrived - they scrunch down to less than the size of an apple in their little bag and have very groovy velcro strips up the calves so you can stop any flapping - looking forward to testing them on Sunday... Here they are for drooling:

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/MON55/montane-lady-featherlite-pant/

+ there's a 15% discount code for sportsshoes until 7 April - LMF1315

21/03/2013 at 12:35

Oh nearly forgot - wanted to add my view on max HR - I've worked mine out using the various formula (220-age, Karvonen's (HR reserve) & 180-age+5) and used the figure after beasting myself at the end of a 10k and they all pretty much work out the same (within 15 beats).  Because most training is within a 20 beat range I've decided that a 'general' max figure is good enough for mere mortals.  When we've all cracked the magic 2.5 hour mara barrier then we might need to worry about precise figures but my personal feeling is that unless you really are an anomaly - you'll be training in roughly the right zone based on any one of the above!

Having said that - none of us may want to believe how slow we need to go to stay in some of the lower zones at first...

21/03/2013 at 12:44

Latest from the race organisers:

"we will email registered runners if Coniston has heavy snow. Check local weather reports on Saturday morning"

21/03/2013 at 13:21

Sleepy - found your site on map and be in touch tomorrow. I'm in Oaklands Guest House, Yewdale Rd (the road going North out of Coniston) - think the YHA is on the same road.

Done my 8 miler with mid 3@MP (9:00mpm).

21/03/2013 at 13:53

Good luck guys - hope you don't need those snow shoes!

21/03/2013 at 14:13

I'm getting excited for you all!  Hope the race goes ahead OK (likewise the Oakley 20).

Today I had my long-awaited physiotherapy!!!!   Knee tracking slightly out, ITB and quads are tighter than a nun's whatchamacallit.  No major surprises.  I've got exercises to do and will have a follow up session in a month or so to see how things are doing (i.e. to make sure I don't ignore the advice).

The physio asked me about the marathons I'd done.  When I told her I was running Brighton Marathon in a few weeks, she asked "will that be that your longest one?".  I respectfully pointed out that they were all the same length 

21/03/2013 at 14:15

Ten - your posts always make me smile, thankyou for brightening the day

21/03/2013 at 14:40

Ten - you sure she wasn't asking about your leg length?

OR - was she the same lady who interviewed Mo Farrah a few weeks back? 

21/03/2013 at 14:40

Latest from Coniston14 website twitter - "Check your emails cos just sent one re limited parking now at school field"  and "snow forecast for fri/sat - fingers crossed"

21/03/2013 at 14:49

Ten - thanks - I just inhaled my coffee laughing LOLOLOL

How did your MP feel oscarr - I did 1 each at 6.5, 6.6 and 6.7 (8.57) - very civilised!

Mike - snow shoeing - now that'd be fun. 

Worse case scenario for us will be to leave the van at the campsite (maybe will anyway so we can leave the heater on for the dogs when the van's hooked up) - less than a mile away so we can jog to/fro! Then the dogs can have a nice sleep whilst we're running!  If the campsite get narky about us leaving the dogs I'll stay with them so Ben can run (cos he missed out on Reading & Fleet last weekend and has foregone the Home Countries to come to Coniston with us!) so you'll see me cheering you on after a mile and then I'll get to somewhere near the end.

21/03/2013 at 14:53

I haven't received an email.... anyone else know what it says?

21/03/2013 at 15:03

MP felt easy.  I will ask at B&B if they do dog minding - slim chance but you never know.  No email yet either so i am monitoring my twitter account now as well

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.