Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

3,801 to 3,820 of 4,505 messages
16/04/2013 at 08:44

Don't let the bastards win!  Terrorists do not dictate how and when we run!  I hope they get all they deserve and more!

reiki - I'm thinking pb for you - in tribute to those in Boston.  I'd certainly find a little something extra under the circumstances.  Give it your all girl...

Sleepy 3:58:00

16/04/2013 at 08:46

oscarr - wins the chocolate rights!  Good guess on mike - was bribery involved 

16/04/2013 at 09:00
SB: I'll second that. And to who ever set it off (please excuse the expletives forum friends): fuck you.
16/04/2013 at 09:26

SB I am feeling teary just seeing that.

And BoD quite so.

Off or my run now before work.

16/04/2013 at 11:26

Morning all - feeling very emotional about Boston. Through running I have met the most lovely people - kind, supportive, empathetic, humble ... the list goes on.As I have said on other forums and FB quite why runners and supporters of people who are trying to better the world would be targeted is beyond me.

I was watching the Brighton marathon on Sunday with my 5 and 8 year old boys and I can't stop thinking about the 8 year old boy who lost his life and his poor family. Horrendous.

Those of you who were in Boston I am so so glad you are safe and you have achived something wonderful. The terrorists mustn't take that from you. Those running London good luck and let it be the wonderful spectacle that a marathon should be.

I have had terrible marathon envy this last 4 months (hence being quiet on the forums - sorry) but I will enter Brighton in 37 mins when the site opens as I am determined to run a marathon because those awful people must not be allowed to win. x

16/04/2013 at 11:31
Nice one Emma.
16/04/2013 at 11:36

Thanks Reiki - I don't want to be over the top but something so wonderful mustn't be taken away.

I can't imagine not being able to run and the injuries sustained seem so cruel. So I will run for as long and as far as I can.

16/04/2013 at 12:47

Great sentiments everyone - BoD, no apologies needed, it's how we all feel - Emma, great to hear from you and remember your running friendships are timeless

Been musing over how i feel about yesterday - horror at the injuries and deaths followed by a high level of anger at whoever did it but at the same time knowing that in the world we live these things are happening and the best we can all do is "not let the bastards get you down" - tears well up but then a determination comes to the fore to run and run and run and race and race and race cos they will not stop the good we do for others and ourselves - i raised lots of cash for cancer which is very personal to me and i will never stop doing races

Reiki - go out there on sunday and have a ball - run with a smile and a steely determination - go girl, go girl -  3:57 for me

16/04/2013 at 12:52

Sleepy - enjoying my chocolate - mind you, i was 9 seconds out !!!  - if you are able, what do you think about my answers to your queries about my mileages, HRs and the one hour MP part of the B2B?

mcs
16/04/2013 at 13:07

Must have been very sad yesterday for those in boston.

Gutting listening to a lady this morning who couldn't finish due to the bomb but she said at least I am alive......still tough for all.

Go go go VLMers on Sunday jealous of you guys and gals have a great day and hopefully a safe one too.

Tragic re the little boy........very sad....

16/04/2013 at 13:11

Reiki - I hope you do a great time but most of all that you have a ball!

Thanks for the welcome Oscarr!

I've entered the Brighton marathon for 2014 so feel like I can rejoin the gang! Craig did you defer till 2014? I think I would liek to raise money for the NSPCC or Mind (we recently lost a friend who couldn't cope with this world so feel it would be appropriate).

I'm thinking about following a Hal Higdon (spelling) training plan based on three runs a week to reduce injury risk, allow cross training and also to try and fit in with 'juggling a busy lifestyle' (remember that?). Anyone got any experience/views of these programmes?

16/04/2013 at 13:19

Go Emma  !!!

Anyone else entering Brighton 2014?

16/04/2013 at 14:19

Hi Emma!

I didn't get a deferral, were still gonna charge me again and I can't justify the cost at the moment (childcare fees are killing me bank account). I got a deferral for Dirty Weekend though so might consider either The Wall or Coast to Coast next year. Think mcs followed HH programme for a while, is that right?

Will attempt to get onto the VLM ballot though, seems I missed it last year.

Was going to write something else about Boston but just gonna try harder with my intervals instead. And get involved in trying to set up a Parkrun in Peterborough (meeting on Monday). \ / s to whoever did this.

16/04/2013 at 15:08

oscarr - that bit must have got eaten on mine!

We'll be ok!  As long as you're being sensible I'm happy - you're a big boy now!

Found 6 x 1 really tough today - think my new paces are a bit quick still -  did 4½ then dropped the pace a bit but then having a strange day anyway.

Might have to raid the jaffa cakes myself ...

16/04/2013 at 15:16

Still listening to my body and how it reacts to the higher volume - think i will stay at this vol for a few weeks yet and see how it adapts - doing LSRs at a much slower pace has helped a lot - felt ok doing a hard spinning class this morning on my rest day - no signs  of injury or illness so ok at this stage which is key

Reckon you deserve a few jaffas so just do it for the comfort it brings

The other classes start again tonight 

16/04/2013 at 17:10

For anybody suffering from insomnia I have posted my race report in a separate thread, rather than clutter up other threads.

You can find it here.

Reikki - hope your tapering is going well and that recent events do not cast a cloud over the race day.  As planned, I've deferred my VLM entry to 2014 so hopefully we can have a friendly smackdown next year.

Emma - don't hang around with booking a hotel if you are going to be staying in Brighton.  I stayed in the Travelodge opposite the start area at Preston Park.  Glad I did because the toilet provision was not as good as you might expect (some horrendous queues).  I highly recommend P&D - but it requires a substantial time commitment.  From what I remember, though, you also like the longer runs so it might well suit you?

Sleepy - I updated runbritain with my marathon.  My handicap is unchanged .  Might as well have stayed in and watched a film or three 

16/04/2013 at 19:09

Zzzzzzzzz

Just kidding, that is one awesome report Ten, I feel like I was there, and much of it sounds so familiar, I'm wondering what I should do gelswise in particular - used to go for 6,12,15,18,21 miles, and last year 2 of those were caffeinated [not Zips, 40mg each].

Thanks for the cheery predictions so far from the ultra contingent, I'm going to throw everything at it, that's for sure.

Speaking of which, I had an electro acupuncture session followed by stripping down of both ITBs and quads this morning.  Knee is relieved to a degree, still a tad sore though after the 5 miler.

I was meant to do easy, steady, MP, Threshold, easy, but did both steady and MP @ just under 8:30 pace, and threshold 7:50.  

I do always get very choppy on pace before the marathon though, it's part of the freakout I think.

So I went to Mile End hospital and they were in the midst of a reshuffle such that I was the only patient, well apart from one very shouty bloke remonstrating about not being sent any appointments.

I spoke with the head of department about my excess of spurious summonses, including this latest for injections, and she immediately referred me to the fab woman consultant I saw at the diabetic clinic way back.

After expressing considerable astonishment that I could be doing London with neuroma 8 - 12mm wide, she told me that injections wouldn't work anyway, I'd need surgery, and then introduced me to her colleague who has done X marathons, and told me that her husband is running too, cue a discussion about everything from the best vantage points to the terrorist threat.

She also emailed the consultant who promised me a bio mechanical assessment (as was wonderfully all already in the notes to bring me in after VLM), so that should come through in May, and told me to email her if I get any pain or developments foot wise.

This is the NHs!!! 

Love it. 

16/04/2013 at 19:13

Ten I meant to ask how you are feeling today?

16/04/2013 at 19:30

Ten - brilliant race report - gets over the full experience of it and shows that a marathon is not just a race but an experience - fantastic that you have that sense of satisfaction after a year's training - your next few targets are....well, let's just say they are targets 

16/04/2013 at 21:29

Reikki - I feel fine!  I have no problem with stairs - up or down, and can even do deep squats with no pain.  I had some DOMS on Monday morning, but I think all the walking around the Lanes in Brighton actually worked wonders.  My plan is for a 4m recovery run tomorrow.  P&D have a five week recovery schedule that I'm following, back up to 33m per week.  I'm prepared to go more gently, if necessary.  I'm convinced, though, that my speedy recovery is down to the regular high mileage runs in my training.

Oscarr - thanks, though I detect that you think my targets are a step too far perhaps?   I'm convinced I have more room for improvement, and I'll only know by going for bigger targets.  My big experiment continues..... 

SB - last year we discussed whether higher mileage led to better results.  So here's a few quick stats about my specific marathon training:

2009 - Training miles: 497m  Five longest runs total: 93m 10k PB: 56:25 HM: 2:02:47 Marathon Result: 4:38:23

2012 - Training miles: 462m  Five longest runs total: 88m 10k PB: 54:51 HM: 2:01:34 Marathon Result: 4:38:54 (course slightly long due to flooding diverts)

2013 - Training miles: 751m  Five longest runs total: 100m 10k PB: 49:50 HM: 1:50:04 Marathon Result: 4:09:29

I hope very much that I have time to train using the same methods from this December!  In the meantime, I have bought P&D's road racing book to use for my summer speed campaign.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.