Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

3,921 to 3,940 of 4,505 messages
mcs
21/04/2013 at 17:48
Was there a three in the time? What about Lee?
21/04/2013 at 20:24

Sorry for teh delay guys, was dying to talk to you, but pesky laptop and phoen wouldn't let me get to this page for ages. 

I felt you out there today and god it was tough.

The wheels came off for a mile @17, and I then had cramp for two miles, had to dig really deep not to freak, way overran for 26.8 in 3:57:28!

Have to be happy with that, it worked out 8:52 average but the crampy miles meant I needed a few storming classics to balance them out, or er maybe cause them, eh?

WIll give you a full breakdown mile by mile soon, maybe tomorrow realistically I;m sure the crash is coming!

mcs
21/04/2013 at 21:51
Excellent congrats RR.
Did I see Rosie on the highlights show on the BBC I think I did! Well done all great viewing......
21/04/2013 at 22:13

Yes that was Rosie!

21/04/2013 at 22:51
I had another epic saga, for which the basic stats are :    3:57:28 for 26.80, average 08:52:00 / mile, average HR + 159.    It was murder getting out of Pen 5 on Blue, even though I went to near the front of the Pen, so it wasn't til after the largely downhill mile 3 that I was averaging 9 min miles even.    I did keep calm, head up, was very conscious of doing that throughout actually, and of not sitting in the bucket at all, light steps, great cadence, knee niggle from mile 5 remained but did not progress or affect stride, I hit halfway in exactly 1:58:00, what's not to like?   Even the Isle of Dogs seemed easier than before, and then came the 17 mile marker and the wheels came off, or so it felt, although mile times still scrape under 9 for those couple of miles that felt hard.   I battled through and hit a patch of awesomeness from mile19 which saw a surge in pace, and indeed ths may have caused the next issue - my first ever calf cramp, tuggy pully thing that lasted for 2 miles, and for which I effectively used EFT and kept running through as it eased, but slowed a lot before picking up with around 4 to go [the way I run it!].    Between 25 and 26 I thought I was going to have to stop for the loo [another first, and slowed after a fun fast mile piling through the field].   Disaster averted, I went on to finish strongly despite them moving that control cord to thwart me just at the wrong moment in the last 800, still got to be happy with the overall result on the day.    Related issue = I had decided [and had to repin the gels to my tights] to go with 5 x ZipVits, a caffeinat one at ed one at halfway, and otherwise at 5, 10, 17, 21, with a small accel protein/carb [aha!] one for emergencies [turned out to be @ 24]   I did try to keep with the blue line, and was often right on it, but sometimes nowhere near it, and trying to dodge carnage of bottles etc.  Got hit with just one almost empty bottle this year, and the weather suited me well enough.    Was overtaken by the 3:45 pacers at 8.4, 9.5 and 9.7 miles, and one of the 3:56ers jumped out from peeing on the IofD to shoot across me and sprint ahead, only for me to overtake him a mile later, and he finished well after me.   Had a blast out there as always, and can't wait for York now, I would like to see how I do when I can run to my own dictates and hopefully less far.     I got sub 4 with no nausea or despair, which means it was easier, and I felt I could have had a bit more without the cramp and/or with a less congested start, I felt energetic afterwards.    Mile Splits [all rounded up] :    09:27 08:49 08:33 08:41 08:51 08:59 08:51 08:46 08:54 09:00 08:57 08:56 08:49 08:48  08:57  08:33 08:56 08:33 08:57 08:31 09:10 09:10 09:04  08:43 08:14 09:06 0.8 @ 8:38 pace       That's all for now.          
21/04/2013 at 22:53
I had another epic saga, for which the basic stats are :    3:57:28 for 26.80, average 08:52:00 / mile, average HR + 159.    It was murder getting out of Pen 5 on Blue, even though I went to near the front of the Pen, so it wasn't til after the largely downhill mile 3 that I was averaging 9 min miles even.    I did keep calm, head up, was very conscious of doing that throughout actually, and of not sitting in the bucket at all, light steps, great cadence, knee niggle from mile 5 remained but did not progress or affect stride, I hit halfway in exactly 1:58:00, what's not to like?   Even the Isle of Dogs seemed easier than before, and then came the 17 mile marker and the wheels came off, or so it felt, although mile times still scrape under 9 for those couple of miles that felt hard.    
21/04/2013 at 22:58

Apologies for the above mess, the blue line never went across first time so I thought I'd better start copying and putting in less per post...but no, it had taken all along.

21/04/2013 at 23:36
That was hard today 2:48 and the heat meant no epic time but more than happy now sipping champagne with a smile on my face. I promise a report tomorrow. But in general great to halfway in 1:18:36 good to 20 in 2:03:06 then tummy troubles (too much lucozade) and cramping calves from 24 slowed me rather. In all I gave it my best and I am happy with the result.

Congrats RR that is fantastic running
22/04/2013 at 08:04

Cramping calves and gut rot, but still a very worthy performance on the day.  Even my seasoned brother ended up walking 2 miles and went over the 3. 

So the winners are?  If anyone has any mental capacity please work it out, I am feeling dazed and confused [that's caffeine for you].  

22/04/2013 at 08:07

Outstanding work guys! Well done.

22/04/2013 at 08:34

Great report Reikki.  Well done with the pacing and the recovery from the bad period to keep going strong.  Love it!

Choisty - you went out like an express train!  At one point your predicted time was 2:34:45 and I thought my prediction was looking good   I suspected that heat would play a role on the day.  Great run and another epic time.

mcs - Rosie had quite a long interview in the main coverage if you've recorded it.

I've got some catching up to do with that guy who's run 580 marathons! 

22/04/2013 at 08:36

RR & Choisty - tracked you both and waited for you to tell your own stories.

Fanatastic achievements both, but you had me guessing for a while......and a double for Rosie only about 10 mins behind Boston time is amazing.

22/04/2013 at 10:09

I don't belieeeeeeeeeeeeve it - me thinks oscarr is a witch!!!  Nearest guess on both of you

Have heard a few people comment on the heat now - it certainly plays a massive part in my running so you can probably both knock some time off on a day that suits you better...

oscarr - back to what you were saying yesterday - decided to do a bit of research about heart rate and pace training.  The consensus seems to be that the figures below are guides for different distances.  I will try doing my sessions using these this week - I suspect my pace will be somewhat slower than my race times predict.  But I'm happy that I will get a training benefit either way...

5-K 95-97%

10-K 92-94%

Half-marathon 85-88%

Marathon 80-85%

22/04/2013 at 10:15

Also found this - have a play - scroll right down to the bottom of the page for the HR calculator by distance...

http://www.runningtools.com/heartratemonitorraces.htm

Enjoy your recovery reiki/Lee - you are both superstars! 

22/04/2013 at 10:35

Great report RR!

SB: Are those figure for HHR or %Max?

Oh, does anyone have any advice on pacing a 1.5 mile handicap?

22/04/2013 at 10:57

Well done Oscarr you must be in tune and thanks for the cheque.

BoD it's half a 5K so I would go out at 5K pace and pick it up if possible after the first half, or after the mile mark, or in the last 400m.  You could think of it as 6 laps of the track if that helps!

SB I'll look at the runningtools when my brain is less vague yet jumpy.  

22/04/2013 at 11:26

Thanks RR! Good advice.

mcs
22/04/2013 at 12:52

Great report RR thanks and well done to Lee too, why a warm day after all that rain, snow and ice!! Must have been tough running in the warmth after all the winter training.

22/04/2013 at 13:34

Sun was strong, I got slightly burnt!

Conditions were much preferable to cold and windy however much of a shock to the system.  

A few degrees cooler and would have been ideal. 

22/04/2013 at 14:34

Afternoon all - I have to admit to being rather lazy this weekend and only going for a swim no running or biking at all. The marathon reports serve as a kick up the backside for me!

I have managed to get hold of some tiny tiny screwdrivers so hope to change my HR monitor battery so might try some HR training as it seems to work wonders for SB and OSCARR.

RR and Choisty - seems so unfair training in  snow and ice then running in heat! Such a shock tot he system! Amazing running from both of you!.

MCS which Hal Higdon did you follow?

Tri update - managed to borrow a racing bike from a friend and adjust the height and saddle so its an ok fit but ... gears don't work properly and it is terrifying as only got breaks on the drops. Also terrified as only ever cycled 20k and that was on a spin bike. Not sure that racing 26k on an unknown bike even if it is a road bike is a great idea and maybe I should slog it out on my ladies hybrid? Just have to accept that I will be slow on the cycle section! What do you think?

SB any advice on HR training (assuming I can get the blasted thing to work)?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.