Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

21 to 40 of 4,501 messages
28/04/2012 at 01:56

Mange Tout, avec another thréad to follow. Zut allorz. Okay that's it for my feable french and I'm carp at typing!

Scuba -although I won't be doing it again (too many good memories to spoil it) I would recommend doing the Paris marathon. A great flat cousre and well supported (although not as much as VLM)

Off to bed now, mon dieu izst that the timé

28/04/2012 at 10:23
Agree with KR - I would thoroughly recommend it. But I'm not going to do it again (or for a while anyway) as such a brilliant experience with amazing folks - wouldn't be ths same if I went again!
28/04/2012 at 11:45
My thoughts exactly. Was very lucky to have a great bunch of people around with this, my first. So no spoiling of memories or feeling let down...
Unless there is a class of 2012 reunion there...

But, in my limited experiance, the course is good, organisation is strong and the sights are amazing. Quick field and I felt that and from comparing it with London, evident that the French are a cycling nation before a running one. Also some 'interesting' events, such as dodging people shopping or getting followed by local runners coming the other way on the course...

If you get the chance, do it.
28/04/2012 at 13:07

Hey all!

Did you see this Em from the post-marathon article: (Recovery article)

Once your walk week is over, you’re ready to get back to your favourite sport, but prudence is the word (remember that it takes four weeks for your muscles to really return to normal). During the second, third and fourth week after the marathon, run only 30-60 per cent of your usual mileage, and avoid running over 10 miles at a time. It’s OK to carry out a couple of quality efforts a week, but they should be very moderate in length. Tempo runs – about three to four miles of running at a pace that is 25 seconds per mile faster than marathon speed – seem to work especially well. Above all, you probably shouldn’t throw yourself into a race again until at least four weeks have passed by.

Got a better start at this morning's parkrun and hung onto my 1st FV spot - yippee - quite pleased with that given that I'll not be far off 40 miles this week!  Do any of you guys do parkruns regularly during marathon training? I doubt I'll be able to get there every week  but am liking the concept of doing a couple of laps on a Saturday morning ... 

Only 2 weeks to Cape Wrath for me - I've been thinking of my goals for the week.  For those who don't know the week looks like this:

Monday - ½ marathon

Tuesday - 5.3 mile 'hill' run (more of a trail run tbh)

Wednesday - 10 miler

Thursday - 5k beach run (target zero game - predicting your time)

Friday - REST DAY

Saturday - relay marathon - I'm doing the 11 mile leg.

My initial thought is to give myself an overall pace goal (ie - complete 42½  at 9.00 mi/mi (GOLD) - 9.30 mi/mi (SILVER) and 10.00 mi/mi (BRONZE) remembering that all routes are quite exposed and definitely 'undulating' at best where not just outright hilly).  The aim of the week is participation NOT competition and in my case - just surviving it - as it'll be the first time I've done all the long options for the first 3 days.  Any thoughts - should I perhaps be thinking of aims per day in case one of them goes horribly wrong??? I can at least compare times for the latter 2 against previous years and hope I'll see some improvement on those.

Hope your tummy is feeling better mcs!

28/04/2012 at 15:27

Hi Sleepy - i suggest you concentrate on setting your targets for the first day half only and this will have to account for the fact that you don't want to go all out cos of the rest of the week - you can then set day 2 target after day1 is over etc - seems that setting an overall target puts a lot of pressure on you  - mind you, if you've done the whole week before then that's a bit different and an overall target would seem appropriate then - good luck with it.

Reckon you'll be entering the Brathay 10 in 10 days (marathons) in Windermere in a few years time !!!!!!

28/04/2012 at 16:13
Yikes SB I just looked CW up,was thinking this is a LOT 2 weeks out.

Maybe not!

28/04/2012 at 16:33
SB - CW looks great on the web site - i'm sure you will enjoy - how many of you are in your marathon team for final day?
28/04/2012 at 17:48
'Here are men and women trying to do something that is incredibly difficult, with thousands willing them on, and it is not the person who is first who is the winner, it is everybody,

Chris Brasher

Remember that folks...
Scuba Trooper    pirate
28/04/2012 at 18:11
Thanks all for you comments on Paris, sounds like you all had a good time. I will certainly give it some serious consideration.
28/04/2012 at 19:04

SB - Thank you that is perfect and now I don't feel guilty that I am being lazy!

I went out withmy running club last night for post marathon meal - there were about 40 of us mainly Brighton (nearby) and VLM and 1 Paris. Lovely evening, I had 2 glasses of wine mixed with copius amounts of fizzy water. Didn't feel squiffy at all. But couldn't sleep and have felt pretty rubbish all day.

Went to look at cars in the cold - so felt worse. Then decided a trot in the drizzle would be a good idea - by the time I got home absolutely soaking but felt so much brighter and even managed to cope with the warring OH and children! Managed 5 miles in 46 mins ... bit pacier than I probably should be but thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Just back from swimming with the boys so dinner and bed for them sharpish!

28/04/2012 at 19:07

PS the music from the Asics video is 'Swwet disposition' by the Temper Trap - hadn't heard it before but now when I hear it it makes me think of Lee, Craig, Rosie and Colin and our shared times at Birmingham and in Paris. I would dearly like to rewind the clock to October last year and do the whole things again!

Missing Sam and her calming words lots!

28/04/2012 at 20:06
Emma: Me too. Good work on finding it. Now downloaded to get my Asics 26.2 fix... I wanna do it all again too, so much!!!
28/04/2012 at 21:25
Tenjiso - hope you manage to find us on here - good luck tomorrow at MK
28/04/2012 at 21:29

Just joining in as missing the chat on Rosie's thread!

SB - CW looks like a great event, good to do something that's not just about 'performing' on one day.

I've thought about trying parkrun (there is one about 2 miles from my house) but Sat morning is my long run day so it doesn't fit.....unless I incorporated it as part of a long run.... I'm not that good at speedy tho.  What time do you run to be first FV SB?

A friend has asked me to consider pacing her round a marathon to a 3:55 time (which would be a PB for her) next year.  I'm tempted but not sure how I'd feel about putting the effort in for a marathon and not racing it myself.......

mcs, good time for 21 miles, bet it was a challenging route too...

Hi to everyone else! 

I ran 10 today (2 weeks after Brighton) still got a bit of a sore heel, not found any gravel to walk on but rolling it on my spiky tumble drier ball right now!

28/04/2012 at 21:47
Ten: hope I see you tomorrow!

WW: I think that that on the pacing thing, you will will so proud to have helped your friend to have PBed the effort will have been worth it. Could treat it as a training run?
28/04/2012 at 22:04
WW: hi btw!
mcs
29/04/2012 at 07:00
When will it stop sleeting, raining? Where is summer..........having two rest days as knackered, bit quick on Friday then go again tomorrow.....stlll done 42 miles this week.
That week sounds tough SB! Enjoy!!!
29/04/2012 at 08:37
Just looked out of window... Oh hell, hope Ten manages to cope with this... Shockingly bad out.
29/04/2012 at 08:57

oscarr - LOL - no chance!  I only like CW as I've built up to it - this is my 4th year! You can do all sorts of combinations of distances. And it's more of a training week than a race.  I think you're probably right though - I should take it day by day and just enjoy it! You should all consider going one year - it's brilliant fun - really relaxed and an amazing part of the country - totally worth the journey.  We stay at the campsite which is also known for its tent-killing properties.  If you have a camper it's not so bad but I've experienced some pretty extreme weather up there.  Other people stay in self catering accommodation or there's a youth hostel but they book up literally as soon as one year finishes ready for the next.  There's not that much up there so you have to be quick!  We were thinking of going again next year but I've just had the dates through for my massage course and it looks like one of the weekends falls bang in the middle of May so we'd have to miss either the first day or the last - so I'm not sure if we'll go now... But the year after - we'll probably go back - we love it! 

Just me and Ben on the last day oscarr - he'll be looking for a partner in either 2013/14 as I'm planning on building up to do the full marathon on the next visit - shall I tell him you're up for it?

RR - LOL.  My thinking is that I'll build up to 40 so that the mileage doesn't seem such a shock - I normally do more like 35 a week.  I'm planning a 10% taper the week before but as I'm not planning to run any faster than normal I shouldn't need a taper really.  I'm looking forward to a lovely rest the week after though before I start marathon training proper!

WW - parkruns are great - can't recommend them enough - there's such a lovely, supportive atmosphere and people of all ages and abilities.  I've been 1st vet at this particular one with a 24 and a 23.  The overall lady winner runs 21 - 22 mins but each course is different.  I got 1st vet with a mid 23 once down south but I generally expect to be top 10 with that sort of time - that's why I'm so over the moon when I do any better!

mcs - It will be I'm sure but it means I get to eat pudding every night in the pub - whoop whoop!

Ten - my heart goes out to you - extra hardcore points for you going out in this - my coffee cup is nearly empty which means decision time - wrap up and go out in your honour or hide on the treader.  At the moment the concept of 2 hours on the treadmill is winning - and that's saying something! Still - coping with boredom is good mental training so they say!

So who's going outside then? Confess all ya crazy wonder-people ...

29/04/2012 at 09:55
Hi,

Good idea for 1 thread. It's chucking it down in the north west terrible day for the Manchester marathon. I hope it clears up a bit for those running.

Hungover so no early morning running for me!
21 to 40 of 4,501 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.