Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

381 to 400 of 4,505 messages
29/05/2012 at 09:11

Sleepy - thanks, she is able to get into the gardens most days - not got into the age gradings yet apart from doing my own adjustments to times i get and i've still got the one pb i reckon i can break which of course is the marathon - still feel that the fitness and freshness is there in the legs so for now its a case of keeping the consistency of running going; i'm not going to go mad before Lakeland but do want to up the mileage and one of the adjustments i am making to my weekly shedule is to introduce longer MP and tempo runs (alternating weeks); schedules have you doing quite short MP/tempo runs (4to6 miles) but i want to increase volume a bit and get used to doing regular MP paced runs over a longer distance (up to 10/12 miles)

29/05/2012 at 09:58

According to the age gradings, I should be 97 years old 

mcs
29/05/2012 at 10:59

Morning team feeling the Tuesday legs this morning!!

Fantastic race. The weekend was marrred by daughter and her friend getting very ill, a temperature and sicky thing, knocked them sideways a long way to drive to be ill. They are both alot better now.
Sunday woke very early and had breakie with the girls as they left the house at 6.50 to walk to the start about a mile away now having had to find new housing, alovely place opposite Holyrood Park and near the swimming pool. We went up Arthurs Seat on Friday a fantasic view 360 degrees all round.  It was cool at 7am on Sunday and yet by the time Greg and I had left the house it was hot, hot, hot and being fair I knew I was going to get sunburnt. Sat by the baggage lorries had a energy bar and drink, gave the bags in. Then borrowed more suncream from a lovely Welsh couple and headed up on to Calton Hill to admire the view for 15 minutes, used the trees then down to Gregs pen which was further back than mine but no problem. Slow start intended.  We set off, though a bit low key I thought the start with a poor sound system, but away we went nice and steady just under 9mm which is where we stayed for the first 10 miles and then on to the coast and out of the inhabited areas where there was no support and very exposed to the heat, no shade. Think we went through the half marathon point at 1.58. Need to check the garmin. A mile or two further then we then saw the elites coming back to us, four Africans running across the road together and saw one or two folk from the fast threads including the first lady who we all cheered. After the turn and a piece through a farm land area which was dusty and desert like with heat back on the road to home. Greg got cramp and said,"see you at the end at G meeting point". My heart went a little as I was having a wobble around mile 19-20. Got to water point as was overheating seriously and staggered on. Saw a guy down with the first aiders and then an ambulance and decided either conciously or sub conciously to have a walk. Mad with myself as I was only just over three hours and mile 21, my determination to get a pb then kicked in. I set off quickly but I knew the sub four was slipping when it took me to 3.30 to do 23miles I was going backwards. I stood in someones sprinkler system, rang out my shorts and set off again. Ran past the Sikh guy who is reputed to be 100 who was in the relay. He is never 101 dont believe it. Anyway headed for the home stretch and kept it going but rather slowly. Into the last mile the crowds were there again which was a relief. Sprinted down the straight round the bend on to the rubber mats, commentator gave me a shout as I ran past half a dozen folk, some walking and fell on my face!!! Got up with help and staggerd into the artificial footie pitch area reserved for runners to get water and huge medal that I can barely lift. Walked to the baggage area and the lass there saw me coming and gave me my rucksack. I had an emotional moment of relief, joy, pain, sadness, happiness etc. Think it was the amount of training, time and effort put in to see it gone in just 4.08.31 seconds. How do Olympians cope not getting a medal after years of training. They are amazing! The meeting point poles were two foot high so difficult to find and no shade so put my Ron Hills on and t shirt to cover up and waited for son in law G to arrive which he did. He fell on the floor and said "Never again!!". 4.18.51. My daughter rang to offer to come and get us as they had taken ages to get the train home in the morning from the half, we accepted the offer and staggered up the hill after buying an ice cold coke from a stall set up nearby. So thats done........promised my wife I wont do another one while she is alive.......

29/05/2012 at 11:16

Brilliant getting such an improvement in time in such hot conditions.  Well done again mcs!  I like the family outing to a major event where you all take part.  Hope your daughter has recovered well.

29/05/2012 at 11:19

mcs  (Twinkle ventures out of lurker status)

Well done on finishing your marathon. I m still following all your posts.  It was stupidly hot on Sunday. But remember one of the quotes which I can t find on the paris thread when I was following Bo's journey to Paris  " to finish is to win"  and Tenjiso  (without eating a Kenyan) 

All of you posters are inspirational by following both the treads  I have found the courage to enter and pay for Brighton 2013.

Big Well done

Twinkle

29/05/2012 at 11:45

Brilliant running mcs and loved the report!  Really tough conditions but still sounds like you enjoyed yourself?!

29/05/2012 at 14:56

Lol mcs - did you have your fingers crossed behind your back?  Really not doing another one? hmmmmmmmmm, I'm not sure I believe you ...

Hi Twinkle - good for you - have to say I was tempted too when everyone started entering - will it be your first one?  Do you have a goal in mind?

Ten - even 97 year olds have no excuses if the 101 year old chappie is for real!

WW - any news on the results?

29/05/2012 at 15:10

Yes it will be my first one  I have started a programme at the gym  where the first 3 months are geared towards strength training and running (properly as opposed to baby rhino steps.  I know this to be a fact after having a full gait anaylis  it wasn't my best movie) as after losing a lot of weight I am soft in the core glutes and still wobbly in places.  So I've given myself 11 months to do it properly

29/05/2012 at 15:16

Derby Evening Post: " Marathon runner admits wife murder - his defence is based on his assertion that.. 'well, she said i couldn't run another one while she was still alive, so.....'"

29/05/2012 at 17:43
Oscarr, just got up off the floor, pmsl !

MCS , thanks for the report, good running, top bloke, well done!

Just been and purchased a pair of trail shoes for the lakeland trail marathon, 4 weeks this Sunday.

FH
29/05/2012 at 17:59

Hey everyone! Hope you're all well and injury free. mcs, just dropped in to see how you got on and say a big well done! I'm afraid I've somewhat lost track - I know you wanted a sub 4 but was your time a PB regardless? I do hope it was - and if so I don't know how you did it in that heat! It's a tough course, edinburgh - once was enough for me

29/05/2012 at 22:41

mcs - I've just read your race report. It made me cry - the whole thing is so overwhelming isn't it?! You have done so amazingly well in ridiculous conditions!

Sam - is it really that bad? I was thinking about attempting it next year - I really want that sub 4:15! My club won the team even at Rye on Sunday - weather was scorching wasn't it!

30/05/2012 at 09:39

Morning all!

Twinkle - wow that sounds like an awesome start to your campaign - would love to hear how you get on as you go along if you're happy to post an update or two.  I can already imagine your joy when you cross that line next year being able to look back to now and see where you started! We don't know much but I'm sure there'll be support and advice aplenty should you want it...

oscarr - was wondering whether a patio was going to be his next project (Brookside style!!!) Seriously though - mcs - really? Your decision or hers I wonder...

FH - come on then... more details please, model, colour, picture???? (tuts, naughty FH - as if you can just get away with a mere mention LOL)

Emma - what doesn't suit one might be another's ideal! I'm all for trying every course once - who knows - you might love it ...

Summer series 5k for us tonight - on a traffic-free, 4 lap course apparently - should be interesting!  Never run more than 2 laps (off a track of course) for a 5k! Get to wear my new club colours for the first time too - how exciting - though not as exciting as new shoes!  Ben made it through a run this morning without coughing - whooooppeeee - progress - wonder how fast he'll be able to go!  It's been a while since we ran on tarmac...

30/05/2012 at 13:08

Twinklestar - see you at Brighton!  I'm looking forward to it already!

SB - for the patio joke, you are awarded an Oscarr!

I ran steady 10:30 minute miles for three miles yesterday and five miles today.  I went above my recovery heart rate for about a mile today, due to the heat I think.  I'm pretty happy with how things are going so far.

30/05/2012 at 15:13
Hi Emma
Glad to hear your club did well at rye - Jeff won the race and we were down there with our shoe stall which was fun!
I think what I'd say about Edinburgh is that it isn't a pb course. Much is made of the overall elevation drop of a few metres but it's very twisty and can be exposed/windy (or stupidly hot!) and mentally hard to be able to see so far along the route but as SB says, others think differently.
Am doing rye triathlon this wkd, can exercise my competitive streak without overdoing the running!
30/05/2012 at 15:26

Wow - How amazing is Jeff?! Fantastic - I shall boast that I have met him! I think we had 3rd placed and then a few chaps won age categories.

I was reading your article about running for runnings sake which is very much Lee's Philosophy (amazing given that he can run a 2:44 marathon!). Maybe I should run it for the experience of running Edinburgh rather than for a pb - I would be so much calmer before hand wouldn't I?!

Are you going to be at any other SGP events? Would love to see you - think there is one in Heathfield soonish.

Good luck with the triathlon - one day I shall complete one! Running a cross country easy pace at the weekend. The Sussex countryside is so beautiful and last week I saw a 1m long grass snake (nearky stepped on it actually) - amazing. Linked to Triathlons (sort of) if I am training with a slightly slower running partner for my long runs as well as doing the last 4/5 miles at target pace as this year - would it be good training to do a pool session before then going out and doing my long run? (there is a tri club with 7am sat morning training you see).

PS I've been trying to be really good with my exercises - hoping to wear a bikini for the first time in 10yrs this summer and as well as helping prevent injurys they seem to reduce my jelly belly!

So glad you are back out there competing but missing seeing you in Brum!

30/05/2012 at 16:56

Sam - great to see that you are back competing after the hip thingy

Emma - think you were a bit low after Paris but you seem to have got your spirit back which is good news

FH - come on, do as the lady says and share more about these new boots of yours !!

Sleepy - still reckon you are on for a 5K pb very soon if you can get the starting pace right - race report from today please

Started using my rowing machine in the garage yesterday - 4 mile recovery run then 20 mins of reps on the rower (2 mins easy then 2 mins very hard - 5 times) - trying to build up some more strength in the bum and quads

30/05/2012 at 21:28

SB - thanks for asking, no x ray results yet (was told Monday but still not back)...  However, saw a new podiatrist today who was really helpful - thinks it's the point where the achilles inserts in to the heel bone (very specific pain site) and is amending my orthotics, giving me ultrasound and told me to stretch, stretch, stretch (and ice, ice, ice!).  So I feel hopeful! In 2 more weeks I will get the revised orthotics so won't run until at least then (provided I am pain freee).

In the meantime have been loving my swimming and cycling - a friend and I considering joining the local tri club and giving it a go this summer...

Considering entering Brigfhton Mara again for 2013 - do you think this is mad considering my injury?!?! (and the fact that marathon training was to blame...)  Should I stick to half maras?

30/05/2012 at 22:48
Ok Ok !! The shoes are Adidas Kanadia TR 4 Men's Running Shoes, feel really good and managed to get 20% off at Sweatshop! I normally run in size 9 but had to go half a size up to a 9.5, they fit well! Will be trying them out soon, so further update to follow ! That should get Sleepy off my back !

I don't know about you guys but I am so looking forward to some cooler weather and I will be out running in the rain Sunday!

FH
31/05/2012 at 09:21
WW just see how the recovery goes. Fingers crossed.

Mcs - well done mate great run in challenging conditions. As for not doing another I think I agree with Oscarr. Haha

I'm starting my 16 week plan for Cheater in a few weeks and woudnt mind a bit of help. Does anyone run based on heart rate? If you do how many sessions a week do you do at different levels steady / anaerobic etc... Ive only ever ran to pace before but someone recommended this approach.

Interestingly a guy from my running club just completed a 1:27 half and when I asked him his secret he said cadence. He ignores pace and heart rate and runs to a cadence of 90. He said this is going to be his basis for smashing a sub 1:25 half.

Any thoughts

Cheers guys.
Edited: 31/05/2012 at 09:23
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.