Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

3,981 to 4,000 of 4,501 messages
28/04/2013 at 17:43

BoD I will, I have a hot water bottle on it right now after a bath in Therapeutic salts, and will follow this all up with pilates tomorrow and a massage on Tuesday before I even think about running on Wednesday, am hoping to do a speed session on the Alter G, but my secret weapon is Tui Na coming up on Friday, can't wait as he will sort it. 

Big day tomorrow with that there ballot, then you have to wait til October to find out, that was long.

I really hope you get in! 

SB any news on the walk?

Oscarr did you do it?  

28/04/2013 at 19:37

Evening all- busy week this week.

Track Thursday, showing my chum how to do various exercises on the trx straps on Friday, left at 7am Saturday to do the recce for the tri in 2 weeks time and  paced my friend around a half marathon in Bracknell leaving at 6.30 this morning. Phew - need to get the school uniforms sorted now and do the tesco order!

On the race recce we were shown around the venue and given tips for transition then we went out to cycle the course (freezing cold so go only knows how I'll manage in a wet tri suit!!!!)with our guide. Only the the guide buggered off after 6 miles and we had to guess the other 10 miles or so with no map or clue where we were - charming. I know I'm slow but even so! 

Also been told by two of the people at the gym (spin lady and one of the gym staff) that HR training is old fashioned and rubbish! I was really sad - I've been really excited by the thought of trying something new and it certainly seems to be working for sleepy! 

Edited: 28/04/2013 at 19:39
28/04/2013 at 19:52
EmmaC wrote (see)

Also been told by two of the people at the gym (spin lady and one of the gym staff) that HR training is old fashioned and rubbish!

Change Gym!  They know fek all. Seriously.

Edited: 28/04/2013 at 19:54
28/04/2013 at 19:57

Hi emma - I would stick with HR training for a while to give it a good go - I reckon it's the best form of body feedback to tell you how you are doing and I don't think it's a fad either ( unlike a lot of gym initiatives which are designed to sell you something ) as its been around for at long while and is proven.  Sleepy will be able to tell you more.

reiki - no, I didnt do the walk as i had to stay in Wales with family

28/04/2013 at 22:51

7.27m easy this evening.

Well it was a bit quicker than easy at 8:15min/m pace because I was trying to warm up, but not too stressful in seconds under the hour....

Re parkrun: just for the record, 20:54 is 45 secs slower than my PB of 20:09 and sub 20 is my next serious target.

Keep going with the HR training everybody - it is the only way for endurance events. 

29/04/2013 at 08:27

Hi all

Emma - I would turn that statement round and and politely suggest that HR training is not particularly suited to the average gym training but you're a runner and not an average gym bunny

Has been a busy few days on here - glad the mouse is out reiki, Bo/Mike - nice parkruns. oscarr - I love the "just an easy 15 miler" - you wouldn't have been saying that a few months ago!

I meanwhile was in the Peaks doing the 25miler Walk4All on Sunday which started in Hope, went to Edale, up Jacob's ladder, back along the Pennine Way to Mam Tor and then back to the start via Lose Hill.  My HR doesn't do altitude so have to rely on rough calculations from the elevation map which brings total ascent to 1400 ish metres (4600').

Totally underestimated the terrain.  My initial plan of running 25 / walking 5 went pretty much straight out of the window and became walk uphill / jog downhill.  Although it was officially a walk event there were a few walk/joggers so I spent the first 6 miles or so with a lovely couple of ladies who had pretty much the same plan.  We parted ways when they stopped for a banana muffin - very civilised.  By the end my watch showed 26.4 miles in 6h 35.  (Probably start to finish was a bit longer but I paused my watch at the checkpoints).  It's a lovely day out and was very novel feeling like I could walk as much as I liked.  I was first finisher with the banana muffin ladies 2nd & 3rd. Happy with my navigation though - the route was marshalled and marked iin most places but if you weren't paying attention - it was easy to miss a turn (as did quite a few I would guess by the folks asking where to go).

As a result, feeling a little uneasy today about the Wall - we may have to revise our plans - have found this profile which suggests that we may be slower than we think in the mid section.  My legs are ok today thanks to some ibrufen gel but I was pretty shattered last night!  (Profile is right at the bottom - tried to insert it as a picture but it didn't work) Still it'll be about half the ascent each day and roughly half what I just did - am gearing my brain up for the challenge.  I could quite happily have carried on for another 10 miles yesterday at my walk/jog pace (14:56 min/miles) but I'm certainly not reckoning on the 2nd day being mentally or physically easy!  Fastest mile was 9:53, slowest 23:27 - that'll have been going up Jacob's ladder then

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Hadrian%27s+Wall+Path+National+Trail

Nutrition wise - I got bored of my snack size choccies at 4hours so I treated myself to a caffeine zipvit which merrily got me to 5½ hours and then I had one last ordinary zipvit which saw me to the finish.  Finished my 1 litre bladder by half way and refilled with the bottled water they gave us which literally ran out about ½ mile from the finish.

Training load - never mind the red zone - my spike is off the chart LOL.  It reckons I should be back down to green by Saturday so only easy runs for me this week until my "strenuous" graded Endurance Life coastal 10k near Whitby (conveniently on Saturday) which will thereby become my speed work session for the week followed by 4hours on Sunday. Average HR was 156. (Ideally it should have been below 140!!)

29/04/2013 at 08:38

Ha - I lied - just found the altituide box to tick on my website for my watch but doesn't look like it'll calculate retrospectively - boo!

Before you ask oscarr - that HR is 79% of my max

29/04/2013 at 08:39

Every day's an adventure on that training plan of yours SB! An Ultra will be on my bucket list, once I've had a good crack at my best marathon time. I'm a bit behind you kids 

29/04/2013 at 08:42

I think I might have sussed why my garmin HRM was going doolally on a couple of runs last week.  Both times I wore the same design of base layer clothing, so maybe there's a bit of static going on? Or something   It's something I can test, at least.

29/04/2013 at 08:54

Guys - thank you for all your positivity about the HR training - I am so looking forward to using it and actually keeping a log! I love the idea of explaining that I am an endurance athlete (think they might fall on the floor laughing when the middle aged mum of two with chubby thighs tells them that!). ANyway - I shall get back on my spin bike with HR below 70% (is that right sleepy?). Will need to do the calcs to work that out again!

60% = 129

70% = 141.5

80% = 154

90% = 166.5

Sleepy what should I be training at for what activity? Amazing distance and terrain covered - you are amazing.

Thanks to all your posts feel geed up and positive - THANK YOU. I believe you not the fools in the gym!

29/04/2013 at 08:54

Anybody borderline GFA for London?  They have changed the GFA times, so check now to see whether you need the ballot.

New GFA times are here. My target is five minutes easier - I only need 3:20 . 60-64 men's age group is now 3:45 (I think it was 3:30 previously?).

29/04/2013 at 09:11

Em - depends what you're training for...

Aim to do most of your training below 70% with one/two effort sessions a week - intervals should be 90% + depending on how long they are (see back a few pages to the ranges for 5k to mara pace %s) and a tempo sesh 80-90%.  If you type in HR training plans to google you should get a variety depending on what distance you're training for but let me know if you struggle.  If you do a search on here too you might be able to find what you're after.

Am I the only person not entering London?  My GFA would be sub 3:50. 

29/04/2013 at 09:47

Sleepy, great run/walk yesterday and a great report, thanks. These days are great prep for The Wall.  The terrain for The Wall is very much different as its mostly tarmac and well made paths which will make a huge difference, the climbs will be much easier and we will have tapered so will be fresher at the start. Plus, we have another 8 weeks of training still to go to boost the endurance further. So, chin up and march on.

not entering London ballot either, too short for me !!!

29/04/2013 at 09:52

Finished my cut back week yesterday with a 2hr10min hill run giving a b2b total of 4.5 hrs for the weekend and 44 miles for the week. Feeling refreshed and ready to go for the next heavy week.  2 weeks to Cape Wrath Challenge week and 8 weeks to The Wall. Up and at 'em!!! 

29/04/2013 at 10:30

Reikki - I think the changes might affect you? 

It's good that they have added the 50-59 age band, as the previous 20 year band was tough on us oldies. As with any change, there are winners and losers. Makes no difference to me at the moment as I'm still officially BFA.

29/04/2013 at 11:28

It'll be fine for me oscarr - you're doing the piggy backing remember

Seriously though - I guess we'll just have to play it by ear - the ascent doesn't look as bad on The Wall.  We'll see when we they announce the final route...  Still determined to give it my best bash though - may have to crawl over the finish line if we set off too fast but I'm not a bad crawler if memory serves...

Ten - that does seem a bit more logical I have to agree.  BFA - LOL - no you're not - you're UFA (Unique...)

29/04/2013 at 11:40

SB - I'd best not ask what FA stands for in your version 

The VLM ballot has closed already!

29/04/2013 at 11:48
Tenjiso wrote (see)

SB - I'd best not ask what FA stands for in your version 

The VLM ballot has closed already!

That's bonkers it only opened this morning! Wozers!

29/04/2013 at 11:53

Thank you so much SB! That kind of fits with what I thought - inadvertently I had been doing that but feeling guilty that they were 'junk' miles. Now I realise that having a nice easy run is actually fine so long as I am also putting in my effort miles too.

Planning on training really easy this week as I have a 10 mile cross country on Sunday (not worth SB and OSCARR getting out of bed for as its such a tiddler). Last year I got round in about 1hr 45 (will look at the results) so hope to be somewhat better this year assuming the weather is ok.

11 days until my triathlon! Arghhhhhh!

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 11:54
29/04/2013 at 12:37

Hi guys.

SB, I ran the red bull steeplechase challenge in that area last year and it is way harder than the profile of the wall, that day was 23M and 5,600 of climb. Don't fret especially as you seem to have survived unscathed.

Emma, tell the gym to sod off they know shite...learning your effort level accurately can only be done with a HRM.  Once they are ingrained you need it far less.  Good luck with the tri...I may dabble this summer, so let us know how it goes from a runners perspective.

I ran the best run in ages yesterday.  I went out with no watch, no route, no time limit and just ran...up into the north downs for miles on a clear day with the wind in my face and a smile in my heart.  The countryside looked full of spring promise and people I passed were smiling and cheery.  Finished off on the road, the pace lifted and it felt magical to be moving through the air with so little effort...THIS IS WHY I RUN I must never forget and not let times or competition get in the way, I am once again in love. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.