4,041 to 4,060 of 4,505 messages
05/05/2013 at 10:37

SB - good luck with your race!

Reikki - good luck with your cooking.

Oscarr - d'oh! 

Nice bike Emma. 

mcs - do it!  

BoD - do it too! 

I was ill during the week and laid up in bed, but thankfully recovered in a couple of days and was able to complete most of my running schedule.

Today's run was my first general aerobic run since the marathon. Based on training for a 3:45 marathon, my GA pace range would be 10:44 (MP+25%) to 9:52 (MP+15%). However, it's early days and a bit pie-in-the-sky, so I decided it would be better to train to my heart rate range instead to see how things pan out. Also, HR training makes sense to even out the effort over varying terrain. I've calculated my GA range to be 131-148 bpm, based on 181bpm max (remember that I reduced my previous max based on training and racing data, so this is more conservative and realistic I think).

As happens so often, the heart rate readings didn't settle down until I was more than a mile into the run (i.e. unrealistic spikes), so I ran to a comfortable easy pace and ignored the HRM for about 1.25 miles. Then I ran according to heart rate once it had stabilised. The plan was to start out at the low end of the heart rate range, then gradually work up to run the final few miles at the high end. In total I ran 9.25m and here are the stats: 

HR: 141*/133/134/140/145/144/147/148/147/(146) bpm avg: 139bpm

Pace: 10:20/9:50/9:23/9:39/9:51/9:11/9:36/10:05/9:24/(10:29) avg: 9:44

*nonsense reading

So my entire run was run at an average pace that was faster than my fastest planned pace based on 3:45 marathon training (9:44 vs 9:52). I'm taking this as good news! I'm well happy with my marathon recovery so far. Two more weeks to go before I can begin speed work.

05/05/2013 at 16:03

Ten - great work and a great analysis - your planned range of 72 to 80% covers zone 3 - what does GA stand for "General Aerobic" i guess but what is the purpose of the GA session in that zone on your plan?

First part of my B2B done today - a bit longer than i planned but hey, i was enjoying myself !!!  24 miles in 4hr28min at 11:10 and HRav 71%.  Included 7x5min walk breaks so pace when running was av 10:45 and HRav 73%.  Very happy indeed with these results - it was a hilly route and i ran most of the hills so happy with 73% for the running part.

Reckon i have sorted the psychology of these very long training runs on your own - its NOT a load of miles to get done IT IS a day out in the country where you jog a lot of the way.

Ran an out and back around the Vale of The White Horse all on The Ridgeway national route.

Plan to do 3.5hrs tomorrow on the eastern end of The Ridgeway from Nuffield to Goring on Thames - a flatter route and kinder underfoot than today.

05/05/2013 at 16:13

Oscarr - you're doing brilliant on those back-to-back runs! Is the race next month????   Jeez, that's coming round quick!

P&D define the GA (General Aerobic) runs as moderate effort runs of up to ten miles. The purpose is to boost the training volume and enhance overall aerobic conditioning. They are generally run at MP+25% to MP+15%, which usually coincides with 70-81% maximal heart rate, or 62-75% of Heart Rate Reserve. They should not be run so hard that you are unable to do a real hard session the following day.

05/05/2013 at 17:05

Thanks Ten - lets see if i can work out how your GA runs compare to my current LSRs - for me with MP=9mpm gives +25% to +15% range of 11:15 to 10:20mpm so today my overall running pace of 10:45 is about middle of the GA range - my running HRav today of 73% of max HR is at the lower end of the 70 to 81 range.

So, either i am getting good endurance or the max HR I set of 170 (220-60=160+10=170) is a little high.  If it is nearer 160 then the 73 becomes 77.5.  However, it really does feel such an easy jogging pace that i can keep going for weeks at so really believe it is well and truly in zone 2 and hence i believe the 170 max (or even higher now) and i must have boosted the endurance by now!!!

Just good fun to mess about with the figures.

05/05/2013 at 17:12

MLR's and LR's are run at a slightly different pace with P&D. Start at MP+20% and finish with about five miles at MP+10%.  Then, of course, there are also the marathon pace runs. It's all about variety of pace in the training, which keeps it interesting.

The GA paces you quote above are the ones I used for my marathon training this year. I was also on the low side of the HR zone, which is why I did more analysis once the marathon was over 

05/05/2013 at 17:50

Oscarr it is impressing me whether 73 or 77.5%

I went to the Olympic Park again today and had a look from the top of the Orbit.  

06/05/2013 at 07:27

Ten - forgot to answer your earlier question - The Wall is in 7 weeks time on 22/23 June.  

Before that I am doing the Cape Wrath Challenge up in Durness, the most northern point in mainland west scotland - a 50+ mile running festival which starts with a half marathon on Monday 13th May and finishes with a marathon on Sat 18th then a scottish dance in the evening in the village hall ( can't spell the real name for it !!)  Sleepy and Mr Sleepy are doing the second half of the week and Sleepy and I will be running the marathon together, until the latter stages when she sprints ahead !!  Start my journey north this Friday.

06/05/2013 at 08:15

Wow I didn't understand about Cape Wrath at all before!  And it's soon! 

06/05/2013 at 14:46

LOL - you don't need to spell it - just be able to stand up by that time! 

Hi all - apologoies for slight awol-ness.  Had a wee jaunt up to Yorkshire to see the family and sneak in a 10k.  It was the Endurancelife CTS 10k at Ravenscar which turned out to be 6.9 by their reckoning, 7.14 by my watch.  Awesome route on the cliff top, down to a cove, through the woods and then back along a (quite bumpy and eroded) cinder track.  Brilliant atmosphere - really relaxed group of people when it comes to pace and distance.  Expensive events but you get loads of goodies and a spectacular location.  Would happily do another one - we may build a holiday round one of their maras one year - just for fun!  Averaged 10 min/miling bang on and couldn't have gone any faster - mostly because I could still feel my quads from my jolly round the Peaks.

However today, after yesterday's 21 miler (5 hours) mostly walking - my legs actually feel better - weird!!! Must finally be recovering or adapting - not sure which!

Enjoying the HR chat above - feels weird that I'll be doing a mara in 10 days which isn't a target race - bet I get a little bit carried away though.  Have built 4 days complete rest into my plan cos I know I'll need it!

06/05/2013 at 15:03

Well done Sleepy, great work.

Had another great day out in the country today - blue bell woods, rape seed fields, village street fayres and brass bands, Morris dancers by the river, boats out on the Thames.  Only downside is I fell again in the woods over those bloody tree roots - legs a bit of a bloody mess and i think i have done something to one of my fingers; happened in the first mile but ok for the rest of the run.

19.13 miles in 3h40m @11:30 and HRav 71% (again).  Felt quite strong at the end and pushed the last couple of miles.

So that's all my previous training records blown out the water this week - 70 miles in the week, B2B of 43miles and 8hr8min.  Resting up (a bit) this week for Cape Wrath next week and a rest week after it.

06/05/2013 at 15:05

Forgot to mention my big learning from the last 2 days.  Cos i did a big run yesterday i ate a lot of food after.  This morning i had to wait 2 hours before i could run due to frequent visits to the loo !!  So, lesson learned.

07/05/2013 at 06:59

Great stuff you two, amazing really.

I did the Watford 10K yesterday, lovely course, quite a lot of tree roots though, and grass and other lumpy bumpy terrain. 

I Was delighted with 4:33, and 15th WV [all clumped together] out of 203, 301st overall out of 838 and would have won had they had age groups, 71.6%

BUT I seem to have tweaked what at first felt like my right soleus, is probably a tendon, it feels wierd to stand on, will need to shake this off now.  It's what puts me off XC, I often do myself little mischiefs that I don't feel much at the time, if at all.

All the usual suspects behaved, and I have to be happy with the calf recovery [Tui Na assisted of course]

Have a lovely sunny day all. 

07/05/2013 at 09:04
reikirabbit wrote (see)

I Was delighted with 4:33

I should think you was 

49:33 isn't too shabby either! 71.6% is frickin' awesome! Congratulations Reikki  Hope your injury heals quickly.

07/05/2013 at 09:14

Nice work reiki - hope it eases off - have you iced it?

oscarr - I did tell you to lay off the beer LOLOLOLOL  (Seriously - hope you're ok and it's just cuts and bumps - heal quick). Oh and while I think of taking care of yourself - make sure you pack extra warm stuff for CW - it can be 3 degrees cooler up there - an extra layer will see you right As soon as you get running it's fine - think it's just the sea breeze that's a bit chilly! Not long now - I'll be packing the van later this week... 

07/05/2013 at 13:01

Sleepy - thanks, will do, think I will need a trailer the amount of stuff I will be packing and that's without the golf clubs!!  Finger is really sore this morning so I may have broken something although its not serious enough to do anything about.  Legs are ok. Did my spin class this morning plus a sauna and it really perked the legs up after the long slow miles of the last two days.  Feeling a little tired so will not be doing any fast stuff this week.

starting to look at the long range weather forecast for Durness - exciting.

07/05/2013 at 18:30

My goodness Oscarr abd SB you two are amazing. Great running by reiki and ten too! 

I still need to get to grips with my HR monitor and understand my zones. 

Soooooo nervous about my triathlon!!!!!!!

08/05/2013 at 13:12

Emma - thanks, the key to being able to do the high mileage is the slow pace at the weekends.

I am sure you will be fine in your triathlon - as it's your first one just treat it as a learning experience and not a race.

08/05/2013 at 21:13

Really long time no post for me. I've got a lot of catching up to do re messages...
News update. I have just accepted a permanent job offer I had loads of interviews, and was in a tricky situation over the past couple of days with 3 job offers to choose from. I can now put that behind me and look forward to the future.
Re running, I ran a 10k PB on Sunday, but I had to work really really hard for it. 51:42 in the local 10k organised by the local running club.
I haven't made any progress in the losing weight and getting fitter/faster part of my plan for this year as I've been held back with a few minor health issues. That said, my priority was getting my work life sorted out rather than just running for the past few months.
*looking forward to joining in the banter and entering some longer runs*

08/05/2013 at 21:36

Great news Anthony and welcome back.

08/05/2013 at 21:42

Oscarr I meant to say I hope your tumble hasn't left too much of a legacy and that the finger is not too griefy. 

Got so busy yesterday I never returned.

My mystery latest has settled in the lower right shin for now, took it to the pool this morning.  AlterG tomorrow.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.