Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

4,241 to 4,260 of 4,502 messages
09/06/2013 at 16:18

Choisty - jogged round a 10k in 38 mins made me laugh!

I raced my socks off today at Wargrave 10km, climbs, wind and all and came home in a surprising PB of 40:34 and 2nd V60; 57/481 I think.

The course is a bit twisty, starts and ends with three sides of a grass playing field; then through a dodgy housing estate (only dodgy because of the state of the road surface...); then uphill for over a mile and through undulating lanes back down to the finish.

My splits (per the on-course km markers) mins & equivalent pace min/m

Time Pace

4:03 6:17

3:52 6:30

4:10 6:50

4:26 7:10 uphill

4:02 6:29

4:06 6:33

4:03 6:35

3:47 6:09

8:00 6:27 (from 9km marker to finish)

Overall pace 6:32 min/m 

Best of all though, for the first time ever I beat a local rival (same age group and member of the "other" Newbury club) by 6 secs. At our last 10k race three weeks ago he beat me by about 3 mins and he is a 19:2x 5k parkrunner....happy bunny this afternoon. 

09/06/2013 at 18:25

Great running Sleepy and Mike, well done to both of you.

Just got out of bed after an afternoon nap which was very welcome after only 2 hrs kip last night and four trail 5 mile laps in Wasing Park at the Endure 24 event.  Did my laps at 4pm, 9:30pm, 2:30am and 8am all around 41 mins (39:30 to 42:11).  Best result was the pitch black lap (dense and dark forest trails) which was only a minute slower than the daytime ones - great fun to run in complete darkness with two torches as your friends!!

Will stretch things out til about 9pm then crash for 12 hours.

Some folk there were doing the solo event and clocking up in excess of 100 miles - awesome!! (or insane???)

09/06/2013 at 18:33

Go Mike - nice time!!!!! I'm hoping to be fast as you when I grow up

hahaha oscarr - I have a job for you that should help keep you busy for a bit... have you built your mandatory kit pile?  Mine's done and ready - if not - you need to go shopping!  I have all items specified for the first aid kit but it doesn't say if we have to carry one each of we're ok to have one between two for the pairs.  Did you say you'd emailed them? 

09/06/2013 at 18:34
Insane - my brother was out for months after he did a 24 hour race on the track, although he did think it would have been preferable to have been out in nature. Of course those 100+ guys probably train for it heh heh!

Consistency in such varied conditions is mega impressive Oscarr, and I have to laugh because I ended up walking my 5 miler today, came last but with time to spare before the official cut off - 1:11:13!!!

Average HR was 121 which is in my 50 - 55% range.

Only one other girl from my club showed, so we didn't ahve a team anyway.

Oh my days!

Mike that is a marvellous result in every way, be proud.
09/06/2013 at 18:43

Sleepy - emailed what?  Built the kit list in my mind but not put it together yet and may need to go shopping (Body Glide ordered from Amazon and will trial it this week).  Do you think my new friend would feel part of it if she got involved in putting the kit together !!!!! (no need to answer that - shaking heads and using terms like "insane, mad, bonkers, screw-loose" make regular appearances)

Think I should go ahead and get my own first aid kit so there is no risk of upsets at the start and gives us spares - you'll need plenty of tape to keep my mouth shut (and yours near the end!!)

10/06/2013 at 08:51

reiki - you finished that's all that mattered.  Hope your foot isn't too sore.  Be kind to it and yourself

oscarr - LOL - there'll be no need to tape my mouth this time as I will be claiming that piggy back once I get tired / bored / hungry so you won't need to talk me into any particular pace. Though I may swear at you on the first day if you get carried away - our mantra: energy conservation, energy conservation, energy conservation - repeat after me We'll have an extra, more comprehensive kit in the van too so we'll be able to top up at half way if needed.  Should be getting the 2nd email from them soon with more instructions...

2 weeks to go...

10/06/2013 at 12:31

You guys are simply amazing (bit bonkers too!)

10/06/2013 at 12:35

I was telling my Mum about SB and Oscarr and how I'd 'met you' on the forum due to Paris and that I'd then actually met SB (and that she was as lovely in real life as on the forum). I told her about the Wall and as a result she is so relieved that I am trying triathlons that she is offereing to help me buy a wet suit for my birthday!

I did another tri yesterday and chuffed with the results (4th out of 18 in my category).

10/06/2013 at 14:00

hahahahhahaha - glad you're profitting from oscarr's bonkers plan Em - all I'm gonna be getting is a pair of sore legs

You're doing so well - you're obviously a bit of a natural triathlete! We'll be watching you on tv next

I'm really looking forwward to running tomorrow - getting itchy feet...

10/06/2013 at 18:22
Wow Emma!!
12/06/2013 at 08:31

Energy conservation...energy conservation...ok, I get it!!

emma, really impressed with your tri journey and like the photos on FB

13/06/2013 at 10:23

Can't stop eating... and sleeping... only 5 runs left...

Here's a bit of interesting reading sent by a finnish friend - a guy way ahead of his time - "Walking, running and calisthenics were the main elements of his harsh training regimen"

http://paavonurmi.fi/en/

13/06/2013 at 10:40

Congratulations Emma! Sounds like you've found your niche. 

Nearly time Sleepy/Oscarr!!!!!!  So exciting for you both!

I'm currently taking advantage of the dry trails and am discovering hidden gems in my own area! This morning, for example, I discovered a nature trail that I didn't even know existed within about 2.5 miles from my home. I feel like a kid again just following my own nose. Thank goodness for my garmin's breadcrumb trail mapping feature, though, otherwise I would have gotten hopelessly lost coming home again   Was it left or right at this fork in the path?? Had I followed my own instinct I would have been five or six miles away by the time I should be getting the kids up ready for school 

Loving these early morning trail runs.

13/06/2013 at 21:23

Getting excited now - one week tomorrow and we travel to Carlisle - will start to look at the weather forecasts after the weekend - 23 easy miles this week then two 4 milers next week just to keep the legs moving a bit - eating anything that comes near!!  Sleeping a lot as well as the adrenalin from training dissipates.  No more gardening to protect my back - there's always a silver lining to tapering!!  Black tie dance on saturday night so i will have to be very restrained.

14/06/2013 at 19:22

4 miles easy tonight and it felt like a marathon!  This is what they call the madness of tapering!

14/06/2013 at 19:47
Oh yes, that was bang on target Oscarr.
15/06/2013 at 11:02

Glad it's not just me - going out for a 90 minute plod at some point today - but struggling to get out the door!  Not helped by the sporadic monsoons - might be visiting the treader instead!

Anyone racing this weekend? 

15/06/2013 at 12:06

Did my 9 miler first thing in the sunshine - raining now.  Long range forecast shows 15 degrees, showery but most importantly, a westerly wind to help us along.

15/06/2013 at 13:16
Hi all.

Another 3 hours in the pool this morning, had Tui Na yesterday, and foot is at a new level of recovery a a result, however it was pointed out to me, and is really obvious now I know, that my right calf is half the size it was!

It has lost the extra big tender bulgy bit that has always been so hyper sensitiive, so I'm wondreing if it could be a combination of all the treatments draining something and disuse, rather than straight atrophy? I mean I've been doing bike, XT, pilates etc

Could I have been protecting it so much it vanished?

At the same time was wondering if I could get the left like this, it's much less squeamish.
17/06/2013 at 14:23

Ridgeway Relay 2013 - 85 miles or so from Beacon Hill (not far from Luton) to Marlborough.

Start 7:30 am ; finish 19:12 pm with 10 runners. What a day!

I ran Leg 5 from Swyncombe Church to South Stoke via Grimm's Ditch and the Thames tow path - 10m in 1:15:12 which was 2:28 faster than our runner of last year. This is a pressure leg because I had to be at the end of it by 13:00 hrs to avoid being consigned to a mass start further on. I made it with 1 min 4 secs to spare....

Overall, we were up on our time of last year until Leg 9 where our runner struggled having come straight off a transatlantic flight over night with just 1 hour's sleep...gamely he made through to the end, but the time was gone.

Anyway, we finished 18/43 teams and thoroughly enjoyed it, complete with 16 of us taking over a bar for a couple of pints and a hot meal at the end.

Pure running - no entry fee, very few marshals; no water points; portaloos T-shirts or finisher's medals. Just 430 self-supporting runners and their support crews - magic!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.