Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

4,341 to 4,360 of 4,505 messages
09/08/2013 at 08:59

FH - that's two of us battling calf strain then  Mine came out of the blue and thankfully is mild, though I made the mistake of going out for a test run on Tuesday which aggravated it and set me back.  This morning I did another test run, but on the treadmill so that I could jump off at the first hint of pain - instead of having to limp home. It went well this time and I did four miles with some strides and some inclines. I followed this with some stretching and using the roller.  All being well I'm going to do a parkrun tomorrow.

SB - microwave sounds good. The best cooking utensil I ever win is a wooden spoon.

Runners world forum and notifications are up the spout (again). It's a struggle to find my own threads 

09/08/2013 at 09:26
reikirabbit wrote (see)
no heroics, e.g. 25:12 for the 10 000m.

SB I hope I get to do an event with you soon.

Wowsers reiki - not going sub 30 you won't - best I warn Ben... Would be fab to have a run sometime - not going to do all that many events next year - mostly parkruns, then a local 10k, promised I'd do the GNR with a friend and then Kielder.  Looks like you'll have to come to Cyprus

My formatting has gone mad so you'll have to excuse however this message appears...

Ten - I will let you know what we get this year - sounds like a few of the local fasties are planning to run so it could get interesting up the front.  I'll be happy to get the training effect...

This week's mantra: every step makes you stronger!

10/08/2013 at 08:32
I meant 5 000!!

Says it all really.

Cyprus is not impossible, will take a look.

Just watching the Worlds here from my very olde worlde bed in the B&B in York.

Have found a gym for a spin on a bike, no ParkRun, way too sore, it's almost like the legacy of effort i coming out now, nothing too savage but running is a big no.

Hope those calf muscles are receiving much strectching - I actually used the stick to excellent effect in Belfast. Had no choice but to get stuck in.
mcs
10/08/2013 at 20:59

Congrats Reiki nice week by the sound of it.

Managed a nine mile this am steady at one hour and 17 mins the longest for a couple of weeks. Need to up the long miles over the next few weeks.  London was the offer from the charity by the way for getting the print done cheaper than the other quotes......very tempted cant think why.....

10/08/2013 at 21:29

Well done RR - real bling! Competitive gold medals are something to treasure.

Today I ran parkrun No 47 so nearing the 50T - pathetic that I am motivated by this but I think it is all to do with rolling out of bed early on a Saturday and running in all weathers....

Today I really enjoyed the challenge as in the first 600m I was in an absurd 3rd position and my watch was showing 5:50 min/m pace....then reality struck home and I eased off a tad to 10th at the first right turn. From this point on, I was being challenged by a chap who I now know is 20-24 yrs old....

First he would get ahead then I countered and it went on like this until the end when he drew ahead for a new (for him) PB of 19:39. I was home in 19:44 but at the 3k mark I was 12 secs up on my PB pace until the fast start and week's training caught up with me on the Newbury finishing slope.

Pleased enough with that as it is my second sub 20 in five parkruns and I am happy that the first one wasn't a fluke!

Now to lengthen the runs again as I have a HM at the end of September - round 4 with my son, so meeting a bunch of guys at 8:00am tomorrow for a 10-12 miler off road.

11/08/2013 at 06:51

Oooh Mike - getting close!  Those shirts are amazingly motivating eh! Sounds like an awesome run.  I had a similar chase and push game with a friend in our local 5 miler.  What a difference a few degrees make - felt much more like running and back to normalish speed. Really enjoyed it which is best of all and we had a fab 3 way sprint for the line to tie - 39.39

Good enough to get me 1st local lady prize (4th F40) so generally a happy bunny. New course record for Ben and a hoover as 1st prize!  Hoping this useful prize lark catches on - I don't like dusting

Rest week ahead for me - the start now of my 3 weeks training, 1 week rest pattern (well except for a local 10k next Friday night hee hee).  Rest = half volume, all zone 2 + I'll still go to the gym. So a bit of a rest anyhoo

Right - another day, another race for Ben - better finish my coffee and get ready...  Have a lovely Sunday all...

11/08/2013 at 12:17

RR - Congratulations! Five gold medals is brilliant. Though, you seemed a bit blase about your assault on the 10000m world record  

I'm kicking myself in spite of a 5k PB at parkrun yesterday. First kick is because it aggravated my calf. Second kick is because I trusted my garmin too much.  I set out to run 7:22 pace to try to come in around 22:50, or at least go sub-23 if I faded. My mile splits were 7:21/7:23/7:21 and my pace over the last 0.1m was 6:46. Perfect. If it hadn't been for the fact that the garmin measured 3.16m and so I crossed the line in 23:04. D'oh. PB by three seconds. The last time I ran this, the garmin measured spot on 3.11m, so I trusted it to get it right again. Lesson learned - I'll aim for km splits next time and use the lap button manually like I do in races.

I came second in my age group out of 22, which is my best performance to date. The guy that came first is a sub-20 minute runner (no it wasn't Mike ), so I'm a mighty long way off from beating him! I'm planning another parkrun in a fortnight, and a 10k race in September.

My calf doesn't feel too bad today, but I've shelved my ten mile run.

Edited: 11/08/2013 at 12:18
11/08/2013 at 13:16

Well done Ten - a PB is still worth having and an easy push to a whole new primary number 22!

Just back from a highly entertaining 12m run with 4 other guys - loved it, discovered some cool pathways (literally, in the shade) and the banter was hilarious.

The best one must be running alongside a guy who ran the Thames Path Ultra (100m) in a Batman costume.....last w/e he had a few beers at a BBQ and thought he'd show off his latest creation.

So as you do, he went down to his local pub dressed as a Dalek!

We're meeting again next Sunday......I'll be in my running kit!

12/08/2013 at 08:49

Sounds like it's congrats all round for great times, medals, prizes, VLM places, PBs and even a Dalek thrown in for good measure! Oh, and FH may make Abo after all.

Don't know if i mentioned, but Craig (aka BoDuke) and his family are staying with me the night before Abingdon marathon as i only live 30 mins from there.  Should be fun.

Still getting used to the increase in pacey stuff and running all the way on long runs!!

13/08/2013 at 10:18

Awesome Ten - so close - a PB is a PB!  Thinking I might have a crack at a sub 23 this winter too (PB stands at 23.08).  Wise move re taking a rest - hope it eases soon - are you rolling it?

oscarr - he's a lovely house guest very well behaved (and housetrained ). 

Off to try out my new shiny road trainers (Saucony Ride 6s) - they're my biggest shoes ever - gone up to a size 7 (but then I find Saucony's a little small anyway).  7's my lucky number so I'm confident of some fast runs from them!  Very pretty and stunningly light (well compared to me being in Trail shoes for most of the last year) - and got a 8mm heel diff which sealed the deal as my usuals are 10mm and my racing shoes are 6mm so nicely in the middle I thought.  Probably not the reason to buy shoes but as good as any in my book!

13/08/2013 at 12:32

Thanks guys. All being well I'll have another crack at the 5k soon!

SB - I am indeed using the roller. That thing knows how to hit the painful spot!

I ran eight miles this morning and my calf behaved, though ithas been feeling quite tight afterwards in spite of stretching and rolling.

Enjoy the shoes, batman costume or dalek outfit as appropriate all 

13/08/2013 at 14:02

Anyone see the Horizon program last night Monitor Me?  Was told about it at the gym this morning so have just sat through it on BBC2 i-player - very good - it's 58 min long.  It's about how to monitor your own health.

13/08/2013 at 16:26

Monitor Me is being repeated tonight on BBC2 at about 11:30pm

13/08/2013 at 19:29
Cheers Oscarr am now recording MM.

mcs it had to be London! what else could it possibly be? and?

well done SB, Ten, & Mike.

I had pretty much decided to give the York mara a miss for obvious reasons, but am now wondering if there woule be any mileage in jogging it as a recce for next year.

Loving Paula on tele!
14/08/2013 at 12:02

Hello chaps, how are you all?  RR grand performances, Mike sounds like you are in form, I may be taking my daughter along to kennet this autumn to see if she likes athletics.

I am running well and actually feeling some speed and form return altough I didn't hit my target for 3k steeple this summer, the marathon took a bit much out of me.

17/08/2013 at 19:55
Hi Choisty!

I have been back in the pool and on the bike naturally since the games, & am not too much of a wreck after a killer Tui Na yesterday, mainly on my knee.

Was out at Thorpe Park all day with 24 of my teenagers, so am just catching up with the mens marathon from Moscow.
19/08/2013 at 21:53

Lot's of good running folks - keep it up.

Choisty - TK is one of the strongest junior clubs around and very active on track and XC if she likes it. Let me know later, but you might want to register now as there sometimes is a waiting list. Check the website for details http://teamkennet.com/about/membership/

mcs
20/08/2013 at 06:56

Great to see great form going on.....I am an early morning runner now out at dawn. Up to ten miles long run at the moment and just done a 37 minute five mile speed session doing 800 meter reps then 200 meter recovery........training for Coniston. Looking forward to a week in the sun next week as work is very mad.  Fell race first Friday in September too and expecting my bro to get first local man home as he is running  5.50 miles regularly in his speed sessions. 

Keep at it all......

20/08/2013 at 08:19

Whoop whoop for my first 10k since The Wall.  Wanted to be sub 50 but just over 50.16 but that got me 10th lady, 2nd F40 (long way behind 1st LOL) but hey that's me happy happy. Got my max HR back up to 192 - which I used to regularly hit at the end of a 10k (has been at 187 most of this year so upped all my zones now)

Sorry oscarr missed that - will try to iPlayer it - there are some brilliant documentaries on at the moment - am loving all the ones about weight and health - love watching people get fitter and healthier!

reiki - your call - see how you feel as you get nearer???

mcs - very impressed - keep considering doing the early morning thing myself - such a beautiful time of day!  Sounds like you're gonna be flying!

My week:

today - 6k with 1.5k @ 5k pace

We - 11k with 3k @ 10k pace + Body Pump

Th - 21k with 12k @ HMP

Fr - Circuits

Sa - Tailrunning @ parkrun

Su - 5k with 3k @ 10k pace

Have altered the pace bands I'm running my 10k/HMP downwards to allow for fatigue - so instead of aiming 176 -180 for 10k, I've set my watch to 150 - 180 so if I'm tired I'll not be bleeping all the time if I can't go fast enough and will plan to run at 10k RPE but no higher than 180.  Does that make sense? 

Am a bit intimidated by some sessions - interestingly the pace to get into my zones now pretty much corresponds with Matt F's pace charts.  I'll aim to run as hard as I can on any particular day but I know from the past that those paces can be too much so...  Thoughts?

20/08/2013 at 13:12

Sleepy - very interesting if a little confusing for a simple sod like me so can't really help other than share my experiences over the last few weeks.

After a 3 week "no running at all" break following The Wall I eased back into some running for 10 days then did a very quick Park Run with a time that really surprised me as a "recent years" PB of 22:28.  I used this time to set all my paces (except the marathon time) using Matt F's charts and they all make sense from recent years races.

Am now part way through week 4 of my marathon plan using these paces and Matt F's plan starting with Build 2 phase so this week is recovery week before i go into Peak phase next week.  I have a 10K race on Sunday to see how my pace is.

The challenge for me over the last 3 weeks has been to do all the pacey midweek sessions and the psychology has been to "build" pace sustainability into my already endurance fit body (while still doing 16 mile weekend runs at the same time).  The 1K intervals at 5K pace have been fine and have done these more at 3K pace.  The tempo run (building to 5 miles) at 10K pace has been the toughest session of the week and have done these at a pace in between 10K and HMP.  Two of the weekend LSRs have been progressive runs which i really enjoy and comprise half way at base pace then gradually accel for second half to finish last mile at HMP.

Have felt really tired last week so didn't do all the sessions and am feeling so much better for it this week.

HR shows a very small improvement in pace for same beeps which considering the heat and my tiredness is pretty good i think.  Trying to be sensible!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.