Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

4,401 to 4,420 of 4,505 messages
01/09/2013 at 17:14

Awww Ten - that sounds rotten!  Sounds like more than over training to me though.  +1 for the virus... there seem to be some nasty monster ones about just now.  R

eally glad you're on the mend.  Keep it up and you'll soon be back in action!  You'll be fine - a fortnight won't have affected much - you'll bounce back in no time. It'll just be that first and second run that feel a bit tough so take them easy and don't give them another thought.  Feet up!

02/09/2013 at 08:25

Rough patch indeed Ten - at least you are out the other side. The kids will understand, they wouldn't have likes seeing their daddy ill so don't feel guilty.

02/09/2013 at 08:43

Thanks Sleepy/Mike. I needed to vent a bit yesterday after feeling powerless for what seemed like an eternity. Feeling a bit more "normal" today, so a day out with the family is on the cards for tomorrow.

02/09/2013 at 15:55

Ten - have a great day tomorrow with the family - i have also been laid low with something, but not as severe as you - very,very tired, sleeping 10 to 12 hrs a day and mild headaches and sore throat - I reckon its a virus picked up cos overtraining lowered my imune system and its a way of my body saying "hey mate, i need a rest!!".

Not run since last thursday and will not until i feel 100%.  Next race is Maidenhead half this coming Sunday which i hope to be ok for.

RR - you are very right about feeling scared that you are not prepared enough for the next race - that's the biggest lesson learned from the last few weeks - SB put it clearly that i had not taken notice of the big lessons i proved to myself durind and after The Wall and fell back into just doing a standard mara schedule - have learned a big lesson and will be much more confident about the furture as long as i take notice of what works for ME, not others!!

02/09/2013 at 16:49

oscarr - actually no I take it back - go back to your way of doing things - otherwise you might become a tad unstoppable and right now all I have is that I have a faster mara pb than you - think that might be about to change!

Might be taking my 2k at 5k pace a bit steadier tomorrow - had disco leg during lunges today at Body Pump - I blame oscarr - he said I had to run hills so I found a hilly race.  All his fault - in fact I did blame him when the instructor was teasing me .  Amazing how it sneaks up on you - legs felt totally ok yesterday but then it was a rest/walk the dogs kind of day.  Will see how they feel and what my HR is doing in the morning. 

Am really liking this 3 weeks train / 1 week ½ volume + easy pattern - really looking forward to my rest next week.  Saturday put me in red but back down to yellow today and should be in green tomorrow.  Am gonna go have another crack at the local parkrun this week - reckon I should be able to get a course pb given the 1st time was a post recovery run and 2nd was a tail run.  Not bothered about an overall pb as it's a slow course (Ben reckons about 2 minutes out) just gonna use it as a good high-end tempo sesh.  Saw somewhere the other day something about running a 5k in thirds - fast, slow, fast.  Anyone got any thoughts on that?  I know if I start fast I suffer - anyone got a strategy for me to play with?

02/09/2013 at 17:13

You'll thank me in the long run !!!

IMHO a 5K race is too short for messing around with different paces so just get into a good 5K pace from the start and hold it to the end, simples !!!!

mcs
03/09/2013 at 08:01

go fast and.hang on SB. i am not subtle. here warm weather training in Alicante. did a nine mile beach run in the early am yesterday and sunday five on the 35 degree afternoon heat, too hot had to fall in the pool on my return. Fell race on friday hopefully cooler back home. all the best to you giys.

03/09/2013 at 11:08

SB - re 5k.

The key is the first 800m or so (do not start flat out) then slowly increase the pace to 3k; hold to 4.7k and flat out to finish.

If you start too hard you will drop off in the middle section and even a sprint finish will not recover the time.

Good luck!

03/09/2013 at 12:13

Thanks guys - I like the idea of a build up at the start Mike.  Once I hit the uncomfortably hard bit I know it's all over so if I can stay just below that pace I might be able to keep it going...

mcs - hope you're having a lovely time   How's the cake out there? Hope you're sampling lots

oscarr - it's a good job I like hills .  My 10k later this month and ½ next are both off road and not gonna be the fastest but as they're planned as training runs I will only confiscate your beer and cakes the once .  U starting to feel any better?

Kept the foot off the gas a bit this morning - good job I checked my polar site - was still in yellow today (and feel it!) but still my fastest Tuesday session so far - 2k at upto 5k HR was the plan.  Didn't get anywhere near (max HR 176 - aim was 182-187) - more like 10k but feel better for doing it so happy and ready for 2moro - 11k with 5k upto 10k HR fartlekking.

03/09/2013 at 12:38

SB - not run since last thursday and still don't feel 100% but getting better very slowly.  Did my spin class this morning which was just ok.  The hills you are doing will be good for Cyprus.

06/09/2013 at 19:18

oscarr : And now...?

Just goes to show how fatigue accumulates - have been in yellow all week just by carrying on training (though I've been good and taken it easy).  Should be back in green for parkrun 2moro.

And ooops just discovered there's a 10k in the next village next weekend so slipped that in as a training run at the end of my rest week

So who's up to what this weekend? 

06/09/2013 at 23:24

Light interval session on Weds at track (max pace HMP), rest thursday then very slow 9 miles today - felt a lot better yesterday and today so will race on Sunday at Maidenhead Half.

07/09/2013 at 11:23

YAAAAAAAY that's good news oscarr!  Have a good run - don't beast yourself too much (ok well not so much that you can't walk... deal?)

25:25 ish for me this morning (4th lady, 2nd FV40 tbc) - and happy with that - tried to hold myself back a little at the start and felt good speeding up.  At the end of a toughie week too so a teenie bit proud that I didn't cop out

07/09/2013 at 11:46

Good luck Oscarr; well done SB....

I have the Overton 5m this afternoon - late decision, after a couple of glasses of wine last night, so we'll see!

07/09/2013 at 18:08

Go Mike Go - usually the best time to hatch plans

Hope you're settled in for the evening Mr O and not out gallivanting

Folks - advice please.  It occurred to me today that actually doing a parkrun on a Saturday and then a 10k on a Sunday wouldn't be a bad idea since the 1st 2 days of Cyprus are 6k then 11k.  I have the opportunity to do just that for the next 3 weekends - and will do my half and other 10k  in the middle of the week thereby allowing a bit of extra rest if needed.  What thinks you all???   I know I might not be exactly fast in any but no doubt I would run faster than if by myself... and thereby happy to treat and use as training runs and not push too hard if feeling tired

07/09/2013 at 20:46

SB - great plan. I think the coaches call it "race specificity" which is a difficult way of saying training in the later stages should mimic race conditions. So well done for making that connection.....I think that is a great idea, and if you can throw in the odd hill (per Oscarr's timely reminder) then you have it nailed.

As for my Overton 5m race - what a thoroughly enjoyable event with a high calibre field including marathon star Louise Damon who broke the women's course record today. If I have it correctly, this is the last of a series of 12 league races for Hampshire clubs. To give you an idea of the standard, a local (Newbury hot shot) barely scraped into the top ten......no, not me! Lol! 

The race: a challenging 2 lap undulating, course which was a bit congested at the start, but soon cleared....splits: 6:33; 6:29; 6:17: 7:00: 5:56 Total: 32:17 and a PB; 2nd V60; 101/427.

So that should set me up nicely for next week's 10k in Portsmouth...

mcs
08/09/2013 at 08:36

Ran the village fell run up Longstone Edge twice on Friday night having returned from Spain in the early hours of Friday morning so a bit tired. Got round okay in about 39 mins for the tough race about the same as last year not sure of position yet waiting for the results to go up. Beat a guy I see in training quite abit who is a club who beat me last year and then on chatting to him at the end it turns out he is 68 years and has been running all his life, fit as a fiddle what a gent respect with a capital R he only looks in his 50s. Need to get a bit fitter me thinks. Over a hundred turned up which was great considering the weather wet and cool. Great NOt to be back in Blighty!! Loved the sun nothing ached for the whole time I was there!!

Enjoy your Sundays all. Happy training you pros!!

08/09/2013 at 09:18
Just caught up - I completely agree with race specificity and also with Mike's 5K formula.

My brother came over for a week during which he had a horribly debilitating lurgy assisted in its heralding by a marathon followed by ONE rest day, and including the usual 20 min ParkRun in the mix.

I have had the tired tired tired thing, have got to get on the traffic light system.

Did Lingfield Dey Hill 10 last Sunday, awesome fun, didn't do so well at 93:34 and only 5th for age but the course is murder and I didn't blast it, well you can't really in that terrain.

Had an interesting time on Wednesday night trialling a new OarjRun that's about to launch - brother was recovered enough to come 2nd in this but I got lost twice, ending up on a road with cars at one point, so over 27 mins for 3,5 miles.

Working today & tomorrow then off to Llanelli for the PSUK 10 on Wednesday. Just finishing 2nd easy hour on the bike rather than jog to work as left Achilles is a little twingey.

Good luck Oscarr for today!

Ten take it easy!!!!!

mcs I am depressed already about the weather.
08/09/2013 at 10:31

Ok - thanks guys - I guess it's still a couple of months to Cyprus so plenty of time to recover if I overload too much.  I'm holding you responsible if I feel the need to gorge on copious quantities of icecream in between

Great running as ever Mike. 

mcs - you too  - you have to watch out for those oldies/mountain goats - shedloads of mileage in their legs!  It reminds me of the old dudes on a cycling club run - you think 'awww what a lovely old guy' and then they go rip your legs off on some monster climb without breaking sweat!

reiki - listen to your body - best traffic light there is - take it easy ya hear! Can't believe how tough you are on yourself - the clue's in the name - Hill!!!!! Personally I would say that's a very respectable time! What's an OarjRun - good job there's not an i or y in the middle of that - sounds a bit dodgy

Easy one for me just to finish off this week's mileage but waiting for news of Ben's Cardiff 10k - should be just about to finish....Wonder how oscarr's getting on....

10/09/2013 at 13:00

Hey folks, race report from Sunday's Maidenhead Half (been away for a few days out of internet access).

Brilliant weather for racing, 14 degrees, mild breeze and sunny.  Flat as a pancake, 2 lap course and they had sorted out the underpass bottleneck from last year. About 1600 took part with the winner doing about 71 mins so not an elite field.

For me it was a hard run after my illness - in fact, had the race been on Saturday i would not have run - started quickly to get beyond last year's bottleneck (needn't have bothered) then settled into a steady pace after the first mile.  Went through half way at my planned 8mpm average pace.  Slowed a bit in the second half but kept a strong pace going to the end.

Finished in 1:46:33 with an average pace of 8:08 (8:04 on my garmin).  Did it 2 mins quicker last year but that was an exceptional run and bearing in mind my prep for this year means i am very happy with the time.  Recovered quickly and although i feel a little tired at the moment, overall i feel ok.

With 6 weeks to Abo, if i look after myself then i should be ready.

4,401 to 4,420 of 4,505 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.