Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

4,461 to 4,480 of 4,505 messages
20/10/2013 at 16:50

Slowest marathon of my 14 done and just made it home inside the cut- off time in 4:41.  This compares to 4:05 last year at the same race. Legs seized at 19 miles so hobbled home after that. First 19 was slow and steady so an accumulation of the years efforts I feel.

I am not prepared to invest any more effort into long distance stuff cos this has happened too many times.  I must so thick that it takes 14 races to prove to myself that my physiology just does not fit anything above half marathon at any decent pace.

Not sure I want to do any more running full stop right now but probably not the right time to make that decision.  Everything else in my life has gone belly up right now and this is just added to the list.  Think I will buy a boat and sale the world!

20/10/2013 at 17:10
Big hugs Oscarr.

I remain confident that you would crack 4 hours if everything were optimal, you have the speed, and you did both the Cyprus challenge and the Wall, so for me it's the viral legacy that has made this one tough, plus when things are hard in life it all seems a bit pointless.

What about a longboat & do the canals? You could laugh at the runners, & we could meet you en route.
20/10/2013 at 20:18

Sorry to hear that Oscarr - on all fronts not just the race!

For a man who ran a successful ultra in the summer which would have defeated me, I think you are a tad unkind to yourself, and carrying a virus into a marathon wouldn't have made your task any easier.

The distance is cruel if you are under the weather and the elites bail out at the drop of a hat - you didn't, so you're a tough old cookie (bollocks - just realised you are younger than I am).....

You'll bounce back we all do........until then, have a glass of something strong

mcs
20/10/2013 at 22:37

Oscarr awesome effort considering the way you have felt from my reading on here. You have had a tough year of running and training and to get round as you did is awesome well done. You cant sale round the world you have to sail but hey you could follow the sales too!! Have a week off and then go again. You love it really, like me I have not cracked the four hours yet and I don't know when I will have the time to train again for such an effort. Life is getting in the way but don't despair I am sure a new challenge will spring up soon. All the best.

Mike wise words from a very good runner. Respect.

22/10/2013 at 19:24
Oscarr I thought of you when I entered the Perivale 5 earlier, 1st December, would be great to see you there again.
25/10/2013 at 07:55

Reik - that's very kind of you but I won't be able to make it but thanks for the thought

31/10/2013 at 11:37

YOU TELL HIM GUYS!!!!!

Numpty - you can't expect to kick ass when you're not 100% nevermind 80% or less! 

Don't make any rash decisions - why not take til the end of the year off - run when you feel like it as far or as little as you fancy on that given day.  A good rest is all you need!

((((((((((((((((((((((MASSIVE HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))  Don't give up hope.  You have all of us and it's nearly mince pie season.  2 reasons right  there why life is ok and ok will do for now.

So anyone gonna enter Target 26.2 this year? I can't decide...

01/11/2013 at 18:49
I don't know if I CAN - would need to work out how to upload a photo of me rather than of some random bloke.

Sam is doing it again, so definitely worth a shot, although I very much doubt I'd be one of these who could run London as well.
02/11/2013 at 16:30

I've decided not to - plenty of local stuff to do to keep me out of mischief! Don't fancy all the travelling to/fro in the midst of winter.  Nor the whole forum lottery. 

Countdown to Cyprus has commenced - 17 days to go and only 28 days til the cheery tree goes up to brighten up the dark days.

Shorts have officially been packed already - today's parkrun was the first sub 10 degrees run of the season.  Capris at the ready til it drops to 5 then I have a lovely new pair of tights that Ben grabbed in a clearance sale - they're ace - have shimmery, almost insecty metallic flashes around the knees. Total shiny kit syndrome fulfillment

03/11/2013 at 20:36

1st XC of the Oxford Mail league ticked off today - 5+ miles of rolling countryside with hills; three of them all spiced up with two runs though a mid-calf trough of water.

We don't have official results yet but I beat my two previous attempts by 4 mins, so I am very pleased with that and we had a full team of senior men for the first time in ages.

Bonus: one of the ladies had booked a table for 12 in a local pub, so a great way to finish the day......anyone else running on here?

04/11/2013 at 11:51

Hey Mike - nice work.

November is countdown month for me:

16 days til we head to Cyprus

27 days til I put up the twinkly tree

No xc for me this year though parkrun was nice and splashy and muddy this week. 

5 mile poppy run coming up on Sunday, a 10k the weekend after and then it's hollydays whoop whoop .

09/11/2013 at 19:35
Hi all

I've been doing Park Runs every week lately, and venturing further on Sundays usually, plus quite a bit of pool and bike thrown in with Pilates eased off a tad while I deal with core overload [what? I know]

Tui Na remains awesome.

I'm not in anywhere near as bad shape as this time last year, so can't wait for the kick off on 1 December [Perivale 5]. I have 9 races booked now between then & VMLM, and there are lots of others I'd like to do.

Went on a date to Chingford on Friday, and remembered that it's on the edge of Epping Forest, so will be heading up there in the morning with a friend to check out the trails and bridleways.
09/11/2013 at 19:38
Does anyone have any tips for me on streaming eyes? I can't see a lot when it gets suddenly cold &/or windy.
14/11/2013 at 13:43

Hi peeps. Just a quick check-in.

Have had a godawful time of it, not helped by being unable to run for nearly two months in the summer (the least of my problems, but it didn't help). I'm gradually building myself back up physically and mentally, and will be ready to restart marathon training next month (I'm in the VLM). Longest comeback run so far is ten miles. Weekly mileage just under 30 miles.

Sorry to see you're disappointed with the marathon time Oscarr. Regardless of the result - did you enjoy the training? A race time is great validation of effort, but so many things can go wrong that it's a miracle if we actually achieve what we think we can. As long as you enjoy the training (and I believe that you do), then don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

I'll catch up more later, but I've got other priorities. I haven't given up, just trying to roll with the knocks.

Edit:

BoDuke wrote (see)
Remember me? Sorry I've not been around, but I think 2013 has been the worse year I've ever had... Seriously, it's been shocking. 

I could have saved myself some typing and just cut-and-pasted that into my own post! Sorry you're having problems too, mate. Here's hoping for a significantly better 2014.

Edited: 14/11/2013 at 13:48
15/11/2013 at 20:01
Ten!

I was thinking about you yesterday, how spooky is that.

Will see you ate VMLM if not before!

Awesome to hear from you.
15/11/2013 at 21:45

Nice one Reiki. Looking forward to the marathon already, now I'm building up the training again.

16/11/2013 at 19:38
Me too, I am up to 12 miles...a week!
20/11/2013 at 10:04

Sorry guys, no sooner do I pick myself up again, my shit year hits a new low. My wife's parents were hit by a car on Saturday. Her father sadly died of a massive brain hemorrhage within two hours, her mother is in hospital with broken limbs. My wife has flown out while I hold the fort at home and try to keep things as normal as possible for the kids. Coping with no immediate prospect of income is difficult, to say the least.

I actually need the running for the sake of my own sanity, but it's difficult to juggle all the shit that's flying around. 

22/11/2013 at 17:52

Ten  - now that really does make a bad situation a whole lot worse.

You have my sympathies and moral support - sorry I can't offer much more in a practical sense.....

Take care; stay strong

24/11/2013 at 15:35

Thanks Mike. 

I did an 11m run on Friday while the kids were at school, since there's no way I can do an outdoor run when they are at home. Shorter runs are on the treadmill, before they wake up in the morning. I've managed to squeeze in 28m this week.

I'm gradually adjusting to doing all of the domestic chores, school runs, etc. As the routine kicks in, I'll hopefully be able to focus on moving forward. The kids are coping pretty well. My 7 year old son won his cross-country trial in school and is representing them in an inter-schools competition next week. I'm going to run my long run on the same day and use him as my inspiration to train well.

4,461 to 4,480 of 4,505 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.