Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

441 to 460 of 4,505 messages
06/06/2012 at 22:43

Hi all - just back from a very, very windy Worthing 10k.

Amazingly a pb @ 50:43! So without the wind (not mine from the sea!) sub 50 should be possible?

06/06/2012 at 22:43
Sleepy, I do that 4 th week drop in training and I try not to go over 10 % but not always able to stick to it. I tell myself it's only numbers and it's what works best for yoh that matters.

MCS, I think you did great in the heat, your head can be held high Sir as you did great!

Did a quick 9 today as was pushed for time, will try and fit in a 5 and an 8 before my last LSR of about 21/22 on Sunday prior to Coniston Marathon. Sunday's run includes a local 10k (Wargrave) will do 16 miles before and take it easy in the race.

FH
06/06/2012 at 22:59
Emma, great time with the wind, well done.

FH
07/06/2012 at 08:43

Morning!

Whoop whoop Emma - let the post-marathon PBs roll!  You can look forward to a few more over the next few months

Ten - 35-40 is my kinda mileage too - might occasionally go up to 50 but I think that's enough for me!  Glad you're back out n aboot.

FH - I know what you mean - you're right it is only numbers but my second favourite hobby is playing with my programme!  One day I will come up with a perfect-for-me periodised year long schedule that is both maintainable and optimal - or maybe I will just keep tinkering LOL.  Did you get the final details email for the Lakes?  If not, check the website - it's been updated.

How's the recovery going mcs?  What have you been up to?  Changed your mind about running another one yet?

The national ladder on runBritain has done its weekly update... and tadaaa I am finally inside the top 10,000 ladies (9842th) - whoop whoop!  Next mission - top 1000 VW (though maybe not the 35s might be able to make it during my visit to VW40 - fingers crossed)

07/06/2012 at 09:42

Right, the sheen has finally come of the Paris medal and I am back full training.  Raced (poorly) last night Yateley 10km in 36:46 (12th) ran with the lead group for first km and in reality I soul dbe able to hodl them for 6-8km and then be part of the shake-up.  Still today is a new beginning, targets are a fast 5km sub-17 for the 2nd time and national standard of 16:45, lose 2-3kg that I have pilled on after Paris and get rid of the niggles (Hip, plantar facitis, back, neck and knee).

Well run Emma, cracking result and sub-50 is now yours on a wind free day.

07/06/2012 at 10:29
Go Emma!

I'm back in training and got my first ever 10k next weekend... Mad, I know.

Got 8 done this morning in 1:08. So motivated again! Roll on September/October for the halfs.
07/06/2012 at 12:15

Hello all

Emma - congratulations on the 10K...great time

BoD - great to see the motivation back..hope the 10k goes well.

SB - congratulations on the Run Britian position!

Choisty - good luck with the new targets...too fast for me!

So far this week, I have only managed to run Monday (4 miles). A week off from work and all has gone pear shaped! Was planning to run before OH went to work, but was exhausted after a bad night. My son is out until late afternoon and my older daughter is revising but did say she would keep an eye on my middle daughter who is still very poorly if I want to go out......have you seen the weather...gail force winds and driving rain...I think I might try again in the morning!

07/06/2012 at 13:19

You're still getting faster Craig!  Great stuff!  And Emma too.... must have an eye on sub-4 marathon next year.

SB - Well done with the ranking and good luck with the target.  I'm not so much getting out-and-about unfortunately.  I'm confined to the treadmill because I've nobody to watch over my son while the wife is away.  I'll schedule a few longer runs during the day when he's back at school, so I'll be able to get outside again.  In any case, I'm really enjoying the running at the moment and have to be disciplined to stay easy on the easy days.

FH - good luck for Coniston.

MCS - wait until you run on another hot day and you will realise what an achievement it is to run a marathon in the heat.  

Choisty - I wish I could run a 10k that fast.  I look forward to my post-op improvements you promised me

MWW - that weather is good preparation for the marathon, if your luck is anything like mine!

I booked another 10k yesterday, so now have one at the end of July and one at the start of September.  I can't book my half-marathons yet, but I'm dying to get entered  

Edited: 07/06/2012 at 13:20
07/06/2012 at 15:54
EmmaC well done sub 50 is so close! Well done SB I can't get in on there as have forgotten my password and am not getting replies to my reset efforts.

I'm doing the Concorde 10K on Sunday, this will be the 4th of 4, and am hoping to be sufficiently over the VLM legacy now to get going a bit further. Definitely going in the right direction re absence of pain though!

It's funny how marathons take us, always different every time, I seem to have picked up a bit of pace but would struggle over 10 miles I reckon, and the pace has only been noticeable off road as strength on hills when I never run hills.

I'm reading Keep on Running by Phil Hewitt, some of which is si depressingly familiar if you've done marathons you are going to nod along with a grim smile!

Just finished day 2 of 3 on half term sports camp and we had to move indoors this afternoon. Good fun.

Best of luck to all for the weekend 10Ks etc, and mcs I know how you feel I really do, I find it difficult to revise my opinion even in the face of logic.

You did well!!
08/06/2012 at 08:40

Hmmmm - well that was an interesting run/swim last night LOL.  Made Milton Keynes/Manchester all the more impressive.  We got caught out in one of the torrential downpours just a mile or so from the finish -  was yakkybut funny at the same time! Went out in my winter jacket which kept the worst of it off but had to take it off for most of the run cos I was toasting!  Any recommendations for a summer but waterproof jacket? Am thinking one of the mountain marathon type ones might be a good investment ...

Yoga for me today and no racing this weekend though will be off to Birmingham to watch Ben run on Saturday afternoon though I can't remember what distance he's doing now (ooops - bad wife LOL).  My long run steps up a little on Sunday - hurrah - looking forward to that nice feeling when you settle into an easy rhythm - hopefully with a little less water.

Whoop whoop for the 10k virgin - enjoy Bo - which one is it?  Is it a fast one?

Ten - be patient padawan

reiki - oooh not heard of that one - toodleooo off to visit amazon right now!

Happy running everyone - looking forward to hearing all about it later...

08/06/2012 at 09:19
SB I got soaked last night as well. It was hammering it down from the minute I left the house to when ingot back.

Not sure on jackets I'm thinking about investing as well as me light weight 'water resistant' jacket was about as good as a chocolate tea pot.

Liverpool Tunnel 10k for me this weekend and a new tactic. I'm going to go out hard and see how long I can hold on for. Hoping for as close to 40 mins as poss but think 39:XX might still b a stretch too far. Especially with the hill on the exit.

I think Choistys times are a dream for most of us!
08/06/2012 at 10:43

Choisty is turbo charged!

SB and Luke I have a really good waterproof jacket with removable arms, can get a bit hot though, think its a Nike jacket.

Luke I am doing the same as you Sunday, going to push hard and see what time I can get looking for under 42 mins, PB is 42.53.  I have to run home after mine as I need to bank 21 miles for my LSR.  Let us know how you get on Luke.

SB, all the best to Ben and his run on Saturday and good luck for your long run.

Must go, at work!!

FH

08/06/2012 at 11:20

Hi guys.  Thanks again for all your support.

Sleepy - thanks a lot for the poem - i received another one in a card from a good friend which has the same sentiment - i truly believe in the sentiment and both have been a great comfort to me as it makes the future look brighter

Only done one run this week, on Monday afternoon with my youngest son (29 yr old and fit) - it was good to get some air on my face.  Plan to do a longish slow one this afternoon on my own.

Will not be doing Wargrave 10K but still think i will do the Lakeland Trail marathon at Coniston - it will be a good break and i will take it slow

Good to see so many spring marathoners back into training and racing again.

08/06/2012 at 11:22
Have you ran it before FH? First time for me.
08/06/2012 at 15:22

Luke, when I said I am doing the same as you I meant going for it in a 10k, I am doing a different race !!! I am doing Wargrave 10k.

Not going to look at my watch and just go as fast as I can and see what happens.

Oscarr, really hope you can do Coniston will be great to buy you a beer at the finish and you Sleepy!

FH

08/06/2012 at 15:54
Haha. Ok. My watch won't work being in the tunnel and all so suit zipped and out we go.
08/06/2012 at 15:58

Luke, will catch up Sunday and compare time and performance.

FH

08/06/2012 at 18:02

FH - will you still be around when i finish at Coniston as your race starts 2 hrs earlier than mine?  Beer sounds good though !! (might make me run a bit faster - carrot and stick en all)

08/06/2012 at 22:56
Oscarr, of course I will be there, will have camera ready to catch your sprint finish and a cold beer for you!

FH
09/06/2012 at 07:49

We'll still be there too oscarr - promise I won't drink all of your beer whilst waiting!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.