Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,401 to 1,420 of 4,505 messages
16/09/2012 at 13:56

Sleepy - pick a fast, flat half and you're on.

I think even this lot will wonder as to our sanity  - think you should tell them (and OK it was my idea) but make sure you tell them what you've got me into in Scotland in May first .

16/09/2012 at 14:15

Flat & Fast - what's that then LOL

Well all - we've decided to do The Wall ultra in June - 69 miles in 2 days with an overnight in the middle.  And in preparation oscarr's gonna come up to Durness in May to do the Cape Wrath Challenge.  I really can't wait now - it's so beyond my normal realm of experience.  I love "journey" challenges and I've said I wanted to do Hadrian's Wall so hey guess what - I said yes!  So the Sleepy Oscarrs will be taking on the challenge and Ben's coming along to support so we should get some good pics too!  Time to start investigating ultra strategies - walk 15 mins, run 20 mins etc.  Have absolutely no benchmark for this one - yippppeeeeee.  Time to put our endurance to the test.  My only concern at this point is my feet and blistering but there must be a way round this - maybe carrying lots of fresh socks and compeed!

I'll be looking back on next weekend as a walk in the park.  Anyone else crackers enough to join us?  Rosie is contemplating it   No really, she is!

16/09/2012 at 14:29

So the cat's well and truly out of the bag  - The Wall is such a great challenge that it's just got to be done and i'm really looking forward to it already and it's not until next June !!!  Cape Wrath - have a look on the web site - the whole village gets involved with bbq's, celidh's (think that's the spelling) and lots more around a week of running events culminating in a marathon (which can be run as a relay) all in stunning scenery.  The excitement is mind blowing as both events are raising the bar of previous running experience.

Go on, you know you want to have a look on the web sites....!!!!!

16/09/2012 at 15:16
Will do alrhough I do need to be in one piece and ready for a variety of comparative sprints in early August.

What an exciting prospect for you two anyway.

My brorher's 24 hour race threw up some interesting discoveries along the lines of run/walk. The main one being that logic plays scant part.
16/09/2012 at 15:53
reikirabbit wrote (see)
My brorher's 24 hour race threw up some interesting discoveries along the lines of run/walk. The main one being that logic plays scant part.

Nice one Reiki - sort it out on the day by trial and error, like it cos that way there is less preparation 

16/09/2012 at 16:50

Au contraire! 

Don't start with a premise along the lines of *I can walk a mile in 15 minutes easy so let's be ultra conservative and say 20 how hard can it be?* is all. 

16/09/2012 at 17:02

I can see we are going to have lots of chats about strategies over the coming months.

16/09/2012 at 17:06

Very well done Oscarr/Reiki/FH!!!  No wonder Mo pulled out - the competition was too fierce from you guys!

Dibaba is going to be the female Haille, I reckon.  She said she is considering the marathon for next year.

It makes me smile to think of Blackadder on Hadrians Wall.....

"...and how does our inspiring leader Hadrian intend to keep out this vast army of lunatics? By building a three foot high wall.

My knee is still painful, and I'm getting further pain in the elbow, so it could be a gout attack which would explain a few things.  I have a ten mile race in a fortnight, so prospects are looking decidedly grim .

16/09/2012 at 17:21

Ten I reckon that's GOOD news, get some Cherry Active down you!

16/09/2012 at 19:27

Congratulations on the runs today everyone. 
I didn't feel able to run my planned 21 miles (after yesterday's 10) and ran about 16 today (with another 3m of walking). Add the two runs together and you get a marathon! ;P
Not sure about the idea of running the wall next year - will have to see what kind of shape I'm in and if I have an appetite for long distances. I must admit, I like 5k runs  

16/09/2012 at 20:43

reiki - I'm expecting a steep learning curve for sure.  Hope it'll put my future marathons into context and increase my confidence in my ability to cover distance but if we could guarantee the outcome it wouldn't be such an adventure. It's really captured my imagination - I can't really explain why - it just has!  24 hours - now that really is hardcore.  Think I'll stick to the "soft" option thanks - at least we'll get a lunch stop and evening meal provided!

I know what you mean AC8 - sometimes I like 5ks too.  It'll be a one off for me I'm sure - to mark my journey into my 40s. Then I'll hopefully convert my new found endurance into speed at shorter distances!  Or get hooked and venture into the world of an annual ultra!  Who knows

Official countdown starts here for me - 6 days to go and starting to have the occasional wibble (as you do).  My favourite advice today is that if I don't feel like I've set off too slowly then I've set off too quick! 

Ten - you really are in the wars just now aren't you.  Hope you're right so that you can get sorted - the right action for the right dilemma has got to be the way forward! 

Anyone heard from mcs? How did he get on?

16/09/2012 at 21:07

I'm not saying "No" at this stage. As I have many hours to think about things on my runs, I've been thinking I really ought to watch what I eat - losing 15kgs or more would definitely help with the endurance. (Did anyone see that guy doing the GNR after having run 30 GNRs in 30 days with a fridge on his back!)
Anyway.. I've suggested to my wife that we both run the New York Marathon next year to celebrate our 10th anniversary.
This Chester marathon was a personal thing for myself to run a marathon before I turn 40. Getting my wife into shape (as well as myself) over the coming year would be great and the Wall could be the equivalent of getting from 0 to a marathon in a year. 

16/09/2012 at 21:08
All well done on the races 2 good weeks for this forum. "were number 1"

Fair do's to sleepy and Oscarr can't believe you guys are going for that. I did a 22 mile long run today in 3:05. Looking good for my marathon now
This week is the start of the taper.

I haven't really enjoyed the long runs do after this I'm going to stick to half marathons as the longest run. Goin to train 12 weeks
For a fast 10k in the new year. Looking forward to reducing the mileage and getting back To footie.
17/09/2012 at 07:54

SB I totally get the adventure and imagination capturing, I would love this sort of thing, so long as you don't have to carry camping kit on the run.  That's what puts me off MDS honest!

AC8 watching what you eat won't help, oh look a Mars bar, know it and change it is a different matter otherwise all that happens is you beat yourself up and feel worse I find. 

LukeEllis2 that's a booster of a long run.  After yesterday I am thinking of following a schedule for shorter races, the only time I do is for the marathon. 

17/09/2012 at 07:57

RR Nice one, how about watching the bad food, rather than eating it? A bit like The Great British bakeoff.

17/09/2012 at 08:10

AC8 - that's a brilliant anniversary idea (if your wife likes running of course).  It's also brilliant that you are becoming so self aware about your diet.  None of us are perfect - mine's certainly not but the fitter you get the easier it is to be "good" I find.

Luke - LOL - I think that's just fatigue talking - bet you'll feel differently after the big day.  I've said similar things myself a couple of weeks ago but now look at me - signed up to an ultra instead .  Happy tapering - what are your mileages for the next few weeks.  My taper didn't really drop to below 30 miles my last 4 weeks were : 40.2, 31.8, 30.4 and then this week (including the race) will be 36 ish.

reiki - the wall'd be perfect then - you drop all your kit at the start and it's transported to the mid point - ahhhhhh bliss!  The mandatory kit list is pretty minimal too (compared to the LAMM) so it should be relatively newbie-friendly.  Have you done any ultras before?  Any tips?  Sorry if you've already told me ... I have taper-brain just now!  

How are everyone's legs today?  Hope you all have a speedy recovery - the next challenge awaits

17/09/2012 at 08:19

Legs good, feel tired though.  Part of this is anticipation in that I sold my soul to the devil employer to enable these races, so am now looking at 6 days on, one off 11 on!!    

About diet I changed what and when I eat in 2006 and have 3 meals with protein, complex carbs, loads of veggies, and crucially breakfast has protein and is within an hour of getting up. Doing this changed my life as I was a typical sugar addict before!

Watching on tele is funny, I love Masterchef & all but I'm not into any of the stuff that used to call to me.

Wall does sound appealing.  What's not to like apart from Day 2?!?   

mcs
17/09/2012 at 10:01
Morning big smile on face this am though bit sore........1.42.55. Very pleased, tough at start getting past folk as too far back in orange d but kept a good steady pace of sub 7.45 all the way until the last mile. Soggy by the end with the rain but my kind of weather......well done to RR good to meet you. Well done to FH too. Time to work......
mcs
17/09/2012 at 10:11
SB put the link on for Hadrians wall!
17/09/2012 at 10:13
Mcs, that's a great time, well done and many congrats. - is that a PB?
1,401 to 1,420 of 4,505 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.