Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,601 to 1,620 of 4,501 messages
01/10/2012 at 19:30

I ended up having a super fun day teaching the same lesson 18 different ways to eleven year olds. My boss brought in a MacBook and DVD as props to help me out , and we actually spent a moment or two trying to find a hole in said laptop!

Went to the Hammam this evening not knowing what to expect, what an experience!

After a stint in a steamroom a bloke kind of hosed me down and scoured me, then covered me in gazillions of suds and massaged me from head to toe, finally pasting me with mud and leaving me to relax.

It took ages to get that lot off in the shower.

So when I came out I got on a bus as it seemed easier than walking down a few
steps for a tube. That was an hour ago, and I am now on a second bus, having
spotted one that goes near my house.

Little bit of a sprint mid post, I bet you can't tell where!

01/10/2012 at 22:55
Ten, GFA not yet !!!

MCS, do you want a transporter van ??? Let me know what you want and I will see if I can help.

FH
01/10/2012 at 23:51
Choisty - best of luck with the steeplechase this weekend, look forward to the report to read along side those doing Chester.

15 mile long run tonight (delayed from Sunday) including 5 at MP. My taper starts now.
01/10/2012 at 23:55
Oscarr how was the long run ???

FH
02/10/2012 at 07:31

Such a reassuring run Oscarr when the mp slots in there like that!

Ten I meant to say I got one of my favourite base layers from Lidl it is very stylish and a much better cut than your usual Adidas!  No Aldi near me though. 

02/10/2012 at 09:38

FH - LR felt easy and good at the end - no gels just some of my electrolyte drink.  It felt really strange doing it on a Monday night through the streets instead of Sunday in the countryside. Will see you on Weds at track.

02/10/2012 at 09:56

RR - no Lidl near me.  Aldi do the winter running offers every October, which is why I checked yesterday

Oscarr - tapering already!!! Time flies!

FH - just a matter of time, I'm sure!

I did another five miler yesterday.  Pyramid pacing 10:00; 9:30; 9:00; 9:30; 10:00.  Knee is holding up so far.  I'm debating whether to do a few easy miles today, or make it a complete day of rest.  I think I'll probably rest, then try six miles easy tomorrow.

mcs
02/10/2012 at 14:48

Good to hear the knee is holding up, my left shin is sore so still cycling in and out on the mountain bike, nice change.
Tapering again Oscarr soon be race time again, whats the plan this time? 3.59.59 the gold medal? I am sure you can do it.......
Been looking at buying at BCAuctions as the cheaper option. Just want a low mileage Transporter to get the bikes in and tent etc then Europe is my oyster for next year FH, let me know your thoughts as you are the man in the business.
What do you guys wear in the cooler weather to run in? Could do with a compression top to avoid nipple rub.........light gloves were out on Sunday.

02/10/2012 at 17:13

Thanks mcs, yes, target still remains to go under 4 hrs.

02/10/2012 at 19:00
Oscarr I think 4 hours is there for you this time no danger!

Last weeks marathon talk was excellent on techniques to help in the final stages of a marathon when the going gets tough.

I'm embracing the taper. No run yesterday resting and now no
Run today raining heavily. Start again tomorrow. Can't wait for Sunday!
02/10/2012 at 19:27

Luke - thanks, lets hope so!

One of the thoughts i use in the taper is imagine it being turning me into a coiled spring just ready to be let go at the start line  

02/10/2012 at 20:58

7km jog today. 8km run tomorrow. I'm counting down

02/10/2012 at 22:16

Sorry for the double post. A work colleague of mine, who helped me get into running is an Ultra marathon runner and has prepared a blog/magazine that is free. The website link to it is: www.ultratales.com its accessible via Facebook. If anyone has any feedback, please let me know. 
Cheers.
(He's Robin on the front cover of the first magazine)

03/10/2012 at 10:02

Big racing weekend for a lot of people on here, I for one am nervous as heck how is everyone else feeling.

Oscarr, sub-4 fingers cross for a tail wind in the final stages

mcs
03/10/2012 at 11:21

Its defo the last six that are those miles you cant train for.......must listen to marathon talk last week missed that one. Whats your race Choisty? Not up here yet already are you?  Having a bit of a rest up this week.........makes a change for the legs not to be hammered, I find it hard at night to sleep when doing plenty of miles, keep stretching the legs..........must do more exercises when running I guess to stretch out the muscles.

03/10/2012 at 12:41
mcs is your shin any better? I meant to say I use roller for mine now that I figured out how to do it.

I have no race this weekend apart from a possible ParkRun, mind you I'm working too, so I will be rooting for all of you.
03/10/2012 at 12:48

MCS, yep I'm on your doorstep, playin gon your playground this weekend, should be up on saturday about 5pm.

I think I can train for the last 6, as I manage at least 1 full distance in training, but it is counter productive if it takes more than 3:30

mcs
03/10/2012 at 13:16

Wow thats come round quick Choisty........Do you run the full 26.2 in what sort of time? I guess around 3.30 at LSR or is it quicker? Plenty of places to eat in Bakewell depending on what you want. The Castle Inn serves good meals or the pub next door to me is good The White Lion in the village of Great Longstone.

Thinks me need to go and buy a roller. Any links or suggestions to a good roller? My shin held up nipped out for a three miler at lunch as my work colleque is full of cold......all seems okay.

03/10/2012 at 13:50

mcs/choisty - i have done things this time which are targeted at those last 6 miles - lakeland trails marathon, Belper 30k hill run and spreading out my 20/21 mile long runs done to improve endurance - kept the pacy mid-week stuff in the programme and introduced a weekly 8/10 mile MP run - did a recent half in 1:44 which gives me great confidence that the speed and strenght are there in the legs.  One of the biggest changes i am hoping will make a big difference in the last 6 is the use of zip vit gels including the caffeine one - i am convinced that my legs will get me there on time so need to replenish the energy stores depleted in the first 20 miles - my experience so far with these new gels is astounding so i hope this helps.

Having said all this, we'll see what happens !!!!!

03/10/2012 at 13:51

Oh, and my longest training run (21 miles) was done in just under 3 hrs.

1,601 to 1,620 of 4,501 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.