Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,621 to 1,640 of 4,501 messages
03/10/2012 at 13:52

i'm going mad - meant to say 3.5 hrs not 3.

03/10/2012 at 14:06

LOL Oscarr - I wondered what you were doing running 21 miles in 3 hours.  3.5 hours is disciplined running.

MCS - I'm getting a foam roller via Amazon for just over a tenner to give it a go.  Hasn't been delivered yet, so I can't vouch for the quality, but the reviews are good with the exception of a bad batch.  

04/10/2012 at 07:21

Another good track session last night - 7x 1k @just inside 10k pace with 400rec.  Still feeling good - 10 mile easy today then 12 at the weekend before taper week 2 starts and only 20 miles total next week.  Got my gels in the post so we are good to go!!

04/10/2012 at 11:21

Oscarr, you sound in great shape long may it last

MCS, are you up for a bowl of pasta and half a shandy on Saturday evening?

On gels, I was told (don't have any data to back it up) that you shoul donly take the first after an hour as otherwise it makes the body use a higher percentage of glycogen thus depleting your stores quicker.  I used the principle at Paris the first Gel at 10miles.

Yes, I did 26.2 in training for Paris, it was suppose to be 25, but I got mildly lost! The first 15 were at easy pace (7-7:30) then 5 at MP (I went too quick 6:00 - 5:45's) followed by easy home, which in total took 3:09.  I was pleased as it was off road and hilly.  Also when I broke 3 I ran the full distance in training twice, if nothing else it gave me the knowledge I could run that far.

04/10/2012 at 11:29

10 miles is nearer two hours, Choisty 

They discussed something similar on Marathon Talk.  I forget who they were interviewing.

Edit: actually I think it was a Talk Ultra interview.

Edit again: I realise that this isn't particularly helpful 

Edited: 04/10/2012 at 11:32
mcs
04/10/2012 at 12:45

You are coming into brilliant form Oscarr.......PB coming up all being well........it wont be down to good preparation, only a massive head wind will slow you down...
Will message you my mobile Choisty so you can give me a ring when you get up here. I have to be over in Sheff all day Saturday but will be back early evening. So certainly a shandy later is on......... On gels sounds logically that point you make C. Though you at your speed will not need as much energy, you will be back for lunch before us lot!!
Ran down to work this morning, chilly now and the leaves are turning and beginning to fall in heaps.
Will check out the foam rollers on Amazon.....thanks Ten
Go to bed thankful and wake up hopeful.

04/10/2012 at 13:24

Thanks choisty for gel advice - makes sense if you load before hand with a good breakfast couple of hrs before start which i do - think my gel pattern for a 4 hr race will be every 45 mins starting with the first after an hour so 1:00/1:45/2:30(caffeine)/3:15.  I remember Ruth saying to use more later in the race when you need them so back-end loading is good.  I know some folk can't eat before a race so them taking one earlier would make sense as well.

05/10/2012 at 06:06

Roller looks good, I have a white one like that, nice and soft.  You might graduate to the grid, but I think starting with the actual foam one is a good plan.  A tip from me is to roll slowly once you get the hang of ay required balance / planking etc.

And linger on the sore bits!

On gels I have always had my first at 6 miles in a marathon, have lots of oats and PP 3 hours before. 

Oscarr I think your build up is awesome.  I never did an easy 10 or an anything 10 the day after track, so you have excellent recovery too. 

Ran to work yesterday, my first since the half on Sunday. 

Planning on PR or a 3.5 race tomorrow morning.

05/10/2012 at 06:08

PS meant to say I do several runs over 20, and go out to 24 with 3 weeks to go, that's 24 in projected marathon finish time.  

Choisty I remember your getting lost episode -  did that once when trying to do 21 in a strange place and added a couple of miles, which at the time was HARD.  Had to go to a colleague's house straight after for lunch! 

05/10/2012 at 09:28

I went to the shops yesterday and had a pain shoot through my knee as I went up a single step .  It hurt for about a minute before subsiding completely.  I shelved the short, easy run I had planned.  Sigh.  Feels okay again now, so hopefully I'll get my easy session done later.  I can feel the hard-won fitness ebbing away .

The roller arrived this morning.  Should I use it before or after a run?  I'm guessing afterwards would be better.  I need to study the youtube vids.

Oscarr - I can only echo what others have said.  I've got my fingers crossed for you!

05/10/2012 at 11:32
Ten

I use mine daily regardless of running.

Shame about the twinge, are you thinking of seeing a physio?
05/10/2012 at 12:56

Thanks RR - I probably should see a physio, but don't have plans to just yet.

05/10/2012 at 13:22

Right guys all my training runs are done. Dont think I am going to bother with the 30 minute loosener tomorow. I think I am ready. The plan is 8 minute miles upto 21 and then reassess and give it whatever I have left.

Think the other week must have been fatigue talking because I am already thinking about a spring marathon and there's a possibility of a London Place through my club if I get a good time here.

I will write a full report on Monday after a hangover so fingers crossed for me?!

AC8 hope Chester Goes well for you. I am sure your going to suprise yourself.

Choisty, Reiki good luck with your races.

Thanks for all the advice and banter over the past few months. The words of Oscarr and Sleepy will be ringing loud in my ears as I run.

Run Well all!

mcs
05/10/2012 at 13:36

All the best Luke for your race and the same to all, will be thinking of you all on Sunday as you are out there. Weather looking okay for the weekend nice and cool too. Just been for the golf course run as I call it, starts outside the office door up hill for a mile and a touch takes me 10.50 at the moment to reach the top, very steep rises about 500 feet I think will check it on a map sometime then down to Pilsley near Chatsworth then back round to Bakewell. 4.3 miles nice run. Time for lunch.  me thinks.................
Remember our patience will achieve more than our force...........dont go off to quick the second half is the race, the first half of a marathon is the warm up, the real work begins at 20 miles........

05/10/2012 at 15:36

Good luck to all racers this week!  Hope you get what you want, and have fun even if you don't get it.

I did an easy three miles this afternoon, followed by a quick first try of the roller.. All I can say is "ouch!".  I suppose you could say it was effective, in the sense that the pain in my thigh took my mind off any pain in my knee   I was under the misapprehension that foam was soft!  I guess it will take a couple of goes to get the proper hang of it.

05/10/2012 at 18:24

Good luck and may the wind be at your backs and the gels bring you strength

05/10/2012 at 18:54

whoop whoop - good luck to all this weekend - have butterflies for you.  Just back in the door so will catch up with the last week's posts over the weekend.  Am looking forward to my first run since Langdale - though we walked for around 4 hours a day whilst away so I'm sure that counts as a short easy run!

Go peeps Gooooooo

05/10/2012 at 22:08

Thanks for the best wishes - I'll provide an update (all being well) on Sunday evening Good luck Luke & everyone else! *excited*

06/10/2012 at 09:10
Hi guys from a sunny Portugal - am playing golf in the Macmillan finals weekend.

Like Sleepy, I'm nervous but in a very positive way for Luke and Anthony at Chester - go guys you WILL do well cos your prep is all done - mcs quote is so true and a great plan for the race, it does all start at mile 20!!

Good luck Choisty in the race - top place ya hear!!

Welcome back Sleepy.

Feel for you Ten with your knee - can only pray it works it's way out soon. Reiki has good advice for you and persevere with the roller.
mcs
06/10/2012 at 09:53
Enjoy Portugal Oscarr oh for some warmth in the bones. Enjoyed a hilly run yesterday bit the bones feel stiff this morning.
Happy running all enjoy!
1,621 to 1,640 of 4,501 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.