Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,641 to 1,660 of 4,505 messages
06/10/2012 at 12:56

Luke and AC8,  all the very best to you both for tomorrow!!  The weather looks perfect, the training and long runs are banked, so now its down to pacing.  Stick to your race plan and remember what ever happens you are both legends!

Oscarr, when are you back ?  I'm around Tuesday if you fancy a coffee ? 

Basingstoke Half for me tomorrow, using it as a pace run, Plan to run @ MP (8 min/mile) for 1st half and if feeling good to go a bit quicker for the last few miles.

MCS, I sell cars, I did have a transporter traded in about 2 months ago !!  My advice is make suke what ever you buy has service history and not too many owners.  Dealers only send cars to auction if they have a problem, so be careful!!  Message me if you need me to HPi anything.

Have a good days running/racing tomorrow.

FH

06/10/2012 at 16:23

any one know how old you hve to be to run the paris marathon?

thanks

06/10/2012 at 16:37
mrs bruffy3 wrote (see)

any one know how old you hve to be to run the paris marathon?

thanks

From the parismarathon.com website:

"The race is open to all athletes, sport federation members and non members, of French or foreign nationality, born in or before 1993. All athletes must be in possession of a medical certificate."

06/10/2012 at 16:49

I ran eight miles on the treadie today.  Six miles at 10:30 pace and the final two miles at 9:30 pace.  Finger's crossed!

06/10/2012 at 18:04

Ten Gosh gosh gosh take it easy and roller again!

What you can do is sweep up and back all the way from hip to top of knee about ten times if it hurts a lot - I used to do it quite fast as that's more superficial and is over sooner!

You can build up to slower strokes with all your weight on board - you aren't doing damage, you are releasing very wound up thick fibrous material.  One funny thing I noticed is that my foam roller has a massive dent in it now - took years before i really went at it with any kind of conviction [or results].

Oscarr I'm so jealous, even if i did have a course PB at a hilly Park run today taking it relatively easy.  Not very, but not full tilt, I had felt very stiff after running to work Thursday beofre this morning's bath, and tired.

Its amazing how teaching 10-12 year olds wears you out even if the days are shorter.

Last week I didn't have a single go on the track despite being based at Linford Christie stadium but am planning to avail on Monday and Wednesday this coming week, nothing too drastic.

I will be away on a biochemistry conference From Friday to Monday, and it's in Salisbury, so will be able to have runs to Old Sarum every morning before we start.  not sureabout Stonehenge this year as I have the Met 10K and Cabbage Patch the week I return.

So tomorrow I'm working, but will be sneaking peeks for news of Luke and AC8!!

Good to see you back SB. 

mcs
07/10/2012 at 09:07
Nine miles run this morning early, ran past Choistys bed and breakie at 7.15 but no signs of life or I would have said hello. Misty early on but set to be a lovely day in the peak district all the best to all runners this am!
07/10/2012 at 12:05

What an exciting day - so much going on! 

Ten - I'm with Reiki - take it easy - if you've had a week or more off shouldn't you be considering starting back at 30% of your weekly mileage and rebuilding? Don't want to break it again do you

reiki - for the PB - are you sharing? Don't you love it when it all comes together and you don't feel like you're struggling but you still run better than you have before - my 10k PB felt like that - gotta love days like that!

30 minuter for me today - I'm re-instigating my 10 minute walk-to-warm-up habit - thinking I'll be needing to build up my fat-mobilisation efficiency in the build up to June! Happy to report that my base HR corresponds very nicely with the base pace guidance in my last book read!  I love autumn - easy running with the odd xc, rest, rest, rest - will be interesting to see what my base pace has developed into by the new year!

Looking forward to hearing about today's racing ...

07/10/2012 at 13:59
Me too!!

SB I was listening to a very interesting podcast yesterday on Marathon Talk about the importance of being fat adapted for ultras.
07/10/2012 at 15:29

Come on Luke and AC8, how did you get on ?  

I had a really good run today, -'ve split, did the last 3 miles in 21.12 and total time of 1:40.16 for the Basingstoke Half, so v-happy indeed !!  winner did it in 1:04 next runner home 1:14 !!!

Hope you all had good runs/races today.

FH

07/10/2012 at 16:20

Yeah - where are you boys? Don't you know we're all itchy-panted to find out LOL

(except for oscarr who's probably reclining in the sunshine with a shandy or two )

Great run FH - very controlled! 

reiki - it is indeed fascinating stuff - ties in nicely with Choisty and his taking a gel after an hour as well.  Every one of us has tens of thousands of calories of energy stored within us (A typical young male adult stores about 60,000 to 100,000 calories of energy in body fat cells - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/what-happens-when-fat-is-burned.html) and yet we obsess about the 2000 or so we take in every day!  Just have to crank the system up a bit in order to access them ...

07/10/2012 at 17:16
3:33:54 full report tomorrow. In the boozer getting drunk. Very happy!
07/10/2012 at 17:40

Wow - great time Luke!!  Well done! 

Thanks RR - I need to get some kind of routine going with the roller.  It's harder than it looks 

SB - I sort of kind of am building up like that.  Ten days missed, then 16 miles first week, and 22 miles last week.  Aiming for about 28 miles this week.  I'm more wary of speed than distance, because I think that is what caused the problem.  On reflection I think my big mistake was upping mileage and speed at the same time. I'm dying to get outside on a run, but I know I can jump off the treadmill at the first sign of any problems.  

Exam this week - getting jittery now!

07/10/2012 at 18:15
Luke enjoy your drinking you deserve it well done !!

FH
07/10/2012 at 18:21

Luke - bottoms up!!  Will look forward to the full tale! Very jealous

Ten - that would deffo cause a few probs!  Now that you are wiser you won't do that again will you?  Will you?  I'm watching youououououououou (ps - just do your best and don't add exercise stress to the exam nerves - you can worry about your running next week - for now just use it to burn off some excess energy so that your brain stands a chance of doing its thang! Good luck)

07/10/2012 at 18:54
Congrats Luke, I am over the moon too, just sat down ran the 22(not 21) in 3:09, position to be confirm but think it was 11th which means I got to the end, woo hoo. Those hills are very very very very very tough, had to manage my calves in the last mile and cramped my hamstring at the motorway service much to the concern/amusement of those around me! Off to find yet more food and fluids
07/10/2012 at 19:49
Choisty that really good, well done and congrates !!

Hope AC8 is ok??

FH
07/10/2012 at 20:14

Awesome all of you!!

Such a range of challenges all met.  Come in AC8....

I am also watching Ten for good reason.

mcs
08/10/2012 at 07:08
Blimey well done Choisty brilliant running. Luke and FH great runs too. Did you enjoy the race C? Sounds like a real interesting event. Was there any trouble with folk being knocked out at each point? Must have been difficult for the organisers to control who was in and who was out. Guess you were too far in front to notice. Beautiful day for it up on the edges had the mist cleared off by the time the race started? Congratulations to all.
08/10/2012 at 08:32

A quick update. I'm OK - but it was the toughest thing I've ever done in my life. Finished in 4hrs 57, walked/jogged (with more walking than jogging) over the last 10 miles or so. I was just drained of energy. Although better than all of my training runs in times of time and distance I guess I'd just not put in enough long runs to get me around more comfortably.
Off to work now - doing a good impersonation of Frankenstein's monster - stiff as a board
More complete update this evening with some stats, once I've uploaded my Garmin watch stuff.
Thanks for all your support and advice over these past months  

08/10/2012 at 09:44

great racing everyone.

Luke - a massive PB and a very impessive time so well done - how's your head?

AC8 - really well done - you finished and can hold your head up high knowing that you have finished a marathon which only a few folk in the country have done - bet you've learned so much about the distance as well - enjoy a well earned rest

Choisty - sounds a grueller - great placing - more details please.

12 miler then my Sports Massage for me today.

1,641 to 1,660 of 4,505 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.