Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,741 to 1,760 of 4,501 messages
14/10/2012 at 13:01
Anthony - agree with FH, Reading Roadrunners is good. To join, just come to Palmer Park on any Wednesday evening for a 6:30 start - all first timers are grouped together and given an induction.

Brighton may be hard to get into now but Milton Keynes is open and looks a well organised event with a stadium finish - try google it.
14/10/2012 at 13:02
Reiki. - how was your 10k race today?
14/10/2012 at 13:07
FH - how was Tadley 10 m today?
14/10/2012 at 14:13
Hi Oscarr, decided not to race today, not feeling 100% and thought it would be better to rest. How are you doing and are you feeling strong in anticipation of Abingdon ?

FH
14/10/2012 at 14:31

Oscarr 

The 10K is on Wednesday - I also have a 10 miler next Sunday.  I'm relaxing in Salisbury this afternoon after the seminar, going out for an Indian meal tonight at a fabulous place. 

I did fancy a bomble this morning but didn't get up til 7:30 and the session started at 9.  Just as well probably.

14/10/2012 at 14:54
FH - wise move - feeling very good, just done my last "long run" of 7 miles with son in hilly Pembrokeshire. Will do a couple of 4 mile easy jogs next week only.
14/10/2012 at 14:55
Reiki - sounds like you are having a good trip - good luck on Weds with your race.
14/10/2012 at 16:35

Hi all:

Yay AC8 - join Reading and come along to the Windsor xc on 11th November then I can meet you too .  Are you coming out to play FH?

So our guesses to recap in time order are:

FH 3:52:44

reiki 3:53:53

Choisty 3:54:37

oscarr 3:54:59

mcs 3:56:02

me 3:57:12

AC8 3:59:15

I've just had my first weekend on my sports massage course - loving it already.  My head is swimming with stuff to remember just now but I'm sure half of it will become automatic as I practice.  If any of you are passing Lincoln for any reason - let me know - I will be needing as many guinea pigs as I can find!

AC8 - have a peek on here (if you haven't found it already) and just choose one that excites you: marathon diary

If you click on the ones that have already been and gone you will normally find a link to the race website.

Personally Milton Keynes doesn't inspire me - but each to our own and all that!

Take it easy oscarr - not long now

14/10/2012 at 19:44

AC8 - I deferred my Brighton place last year and so in theory it should be available. It may be too late to officially transfer but you are welcome to run "as me" if you are comfortable with that. Brighton are bit stingy, and even if I ran myself I would have to pay again for 2013, so over to you ......I think it would be £38, but that may have been last year? Whatever, you can have it at cost if you wish...

In case your wondering, last year I gave up Brighton when I won a VLM place in the Club ballot for 2012, and in April 2013 I have a qualified place in Boston.

15/10/2012 at 07:18
SB, I will try and come as long as I am not working, will not be running as its a week after NY ! What time does it start?

Thanks

FH
15/10/2012 at 09:20
MiKe - how much under the Boston qual time was your time? Are you doing Boston next April now?
15/10/2012 at 10:26

Morning all!

FH - can't remember - I think it's an 11 o'clock start - oscarr - do you know off the top of your head?  Would be great to see you - bet they'll happily let you have some cake too

Training is starting to pick up for me again - am adding 2 bike rides in this week just to up my training duration (by no more than 10% of course).  I find it easier to keep my pulse down at fat burningy rates on the bike - obviously the lack of weight bearing is quite a big thing.

As I go along I will be dropping to just one bike ride a week and upping the amount of running.  Have just gotten a really good deal for a gym on Groupon.co.uk - are you all on that?  It's worth checking out if you don't want to join a gym all year - I've just picked up 10 day/class passes for £16 (instead of £150).  You just register and then choose your local city and you'll get all the local offers.  As you can tell I am committed to boosting my core strength this winter and I know if I go to a structured class/environment I won't wiggle out of it.

The physio who was tutoring us yesterday on my course released a thingy under my shoulder blade for me so it's really tender today but way less sore - goodness knows how I developed that. Didn't even know it was there until Saturday!  My shoulder does seem to move much more freely though - probably just from dog walking or something silly.

Anyway - happy Monday all!

15/10/2012 at 12:09
FH - all the XC events in the Sunday TVXC lge start at 11:00am and the races take about 45 to 50 mins for us mere mortals (30 mins for flyers like Ben). If you intend going to the first one on 11 nov it's by the river at Eton and Windsor - park on the Windsor side of river, walk over bridge towards Eton then hang a left down to the field by the river - sarnies, tea and cakes start about 11:30am. Ben should be first home!!

Sleepy - looks like you have a great plan for the winter - I also intend to get into the gym more after Abingdon to build up general body strength for the ultras next year.

Starting to feel really lethargic now which I think is normal in the last week. Just taken my sons dog for a walk along the beach and it reminded me of the quote from a famous running coach "take your dog for a walk every day, even if you don't have a dog!"

No run today, 4 mile jog tomorrow.
15/10/2012 at 13:23

Hey oscarr - yip that tiredness is a good sign apparently - it means your body is absorbing the fitness you've built.  I read that somewhere just before Langdale and it made me feel much more positive about how I was feeling. Even up to the end of the first mile on the day apparently is normal and nothing at all to worry about.

I'm really excited by this winter's training - I really feel inspired by all that I've (we've) achieved this year and how that can be progressed.  I'm also reaching that nice 5 year point again (after my 2 years off) when I should really start to see my results improve for a year or two.  Just have to be sensible and not get carried away like last time so that I need another 2 years off .

Dog walking - absolutely - fantastic recovery / head clearing time.  A dog ensures you have to leave the house everyday, come rain or shine, come tiredness or full fitness! And then you get a cuddle to say thank you too - I'd be lost without Rascal, as you all know!

So oscarr - have you got your kit lined up?  The wind is bitterly cold here today - I was looking forward to the first xc until I felt that - I'm now rapidly reassessing my kit.  How's the forecast looking for Abingdon?  Got your gels lined up - how are you carrying them this time?

mcs
15/10/2012 at 13:39

Afternoon all busy weekend work and stuff. Managed a six mile x country with daughter in a quick time, lots of ups and downs in the freezing cold running up through mist on Sunday am then out into the rising sun coming up over Chatsworth Hunting TOwer awesome views. Coniston Choisty is March 23rd and its only 13.8 miles so nice easy training run for you about a month out from VLM......did it last year lovely race. 

Stay chilled Oscarr dont overthink this now just take it easy and  enjoy the race. No pressure from us lot well not me anyway, I still need 8 mins off to get a sub four.......

mcs
15/10/2012 at 16:57

If we are doing the GGallop on March 9th next year need to start a 16 week training programme middle of November I reckon, any suggestions or thoughts?

mcs
15/10/2012 at 16:58

Roller going well living room carpet getting some hammer as well as my hammies etc.......great fun hope it helps......will see this week.........

15/10/2012 at 18:11

Hi all 

I'm back from Salisbury, had a good rest from training, now ready for the races this week.  Hamstring and hip seem to have calmed down a bit as well. 

SB I need to do more than just Pilates for strength I reckon too, I must so resolve, and start doing it as well!

mcs I have tried to find something on GGallop, what's the distance?  

I managed to plan my VLM campaign while I was away, had already identified most of the races, but have evolved a mix that includes old stalwarts and new challenges.

I find this stage highly enjoyable.

This year is going to be different because I a going to listen to Sam and not race for 4 months then line up at Blackheath! 

15/10/2012 at 19:14
Weather for Abo is looking ok although it's still too far away for the forecast to be reliable but should be ideal temp of 14 degrees and it may rain. Kit identified but because it's local no need to pack. Will carry the gels in a waist pouch this time and carry 500ml water bottle with electrolyte fluid in. Food sorted for the rest of the week including race day breakie. Really am very relaxed and will get seriously focused on the morning of the race so as not to use up any nervous energy during the week.
15/10/2012 at 20:17

Sounds optimal Oscarr.  

So you can drive there on the morning? 

1,741 to 1,760 of 4,501 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.