Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,761 to 1,780 of 4,505 messages
15/10/2012 at 21:20

Thanks for the Reading RR comments. I'd go this Wednesday but I'm looking after my kids, and then the next week I'm working up in Halifax... Its not easy fitting it in!
I didn't go to the Sweatshop running community this evening (it was a hill session) because I'm still recovering from my marathon / have signs of a cold. Hopefully I can run tomorrow with them in their beginner session.
I'm just trying to ease myself back into running.
My diet isn't going to plan just yet, my wife's not following it and she buys the food. I feel obliged to eat it before it goes off, so my lunch today was 6 mini pork pies, and a packet of crisps *grin* Building my fat stores up for winter *laughs*.

A XC race sounds fun! Not done one of those since school and I was never very good over longer distances then - am trying to improve now.
I'm thinking to squeeze in a HM in the next few weeks, to take advantage of the marathon training with a bit more speed...

15/10/2012 at 22:16

Oscar - re Boston 2013. I have my place confirmed, flights & accomodation booked. Raring to go....

I think my BQ requirement was 3:55:00 (60-64 category) and I was 22:47 inside after running 3:32:13 at VLM 2012.

16/10/2012 at 09:03
Reiki - yes, Abingdon is just half hour drive for me

Mike - that's a stunningly good time for your/our age category so well done - searching the web a bit seems that anything inside 40 secs of qual time got in this and last year so 3: 54:00 would do it. You must be very excited about next spring? Remember to kiss the girls at Wellesley college!!
16/10/2012 at 11:01

AC8 if your looking for a quick half in the next few weeks try Gosport on 18-Nov, flat fast (if a bit twisty) mostly on the old HMS Daedelus base.

Just applied for London next year, now waiting for my time to be ratified...very excited

Mike, I would appreciate you comments after the race as it is on my hit list for 2014 (then three peaks for 2015, think I might plan too much!)

Anyone racing this weekend...head down training for the next month for me.

mcs
16/10/2012 at 11:20

Mike awesome times for the marathon. Think I have to be 3.10 for 50 to 55 age group. They quickened the times this year for qualifying didn't they?  Let me know if no takers for Brighton quite fancy that as my mother grew up there went to school down there too. Is that the week after London or before? Have to check the diary!!!

RRabbit Grindleford Gallop have a website and a facebook page but not open for entries until NOvember usually. 21 miles with four big uphill sections to contend with and downhills too but off road, Monsal Trail and fields. I know it well I have run most of it as it goes through my village.   Daughter no2 signed up for Coniston yesterday so three of us so far here going up for that.............
STAY CHILLED OSCARR.............

16/10/2012 at 12:20

mcs  - Thanks I ran a massive negative split after being held up over first 5k which I went through in 27:37 then ran next 5 x 5k in 25:xx's and finished with a 24:xx 5k, then a 22:xx 5k and 9:52 from 40k to the finish. 1:49:30 to halfway and 1:42:43 to finish - still don't quite know how I did it, but in all racing up to VLM I ran negative splits and I do that in training quite often (deliberately). Or maybe I just got lucky!

For 2013: BQ 50-55 is 3:30:00 and they no longer allow the 59 second leeway i.e 55:59 no longer counts!

Oscarr - thanks, excited? Just thinking about it gets my pulse racing! Re the girls....I might high five a few, but if I stopped I might not get going again as I think they are at the top of a hill........

16/10/2012 at 12:23

mcs - meant to add: Brighton is usually the week befor VLM and therfore same as Boston I believe. Hence spare place which you are more than welcome to take up if you wish....just let me know in good time so that we/I can reconfirm the place.

16/10/2012 at 15:49
Super time indeed Mike!!
16/10/2012 at 17:21

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have my London place and number (605)

16/10/2012 at 17:34
Yey!!!!
16/10/2012 at 19:36
Brilliant Choisty, well done
16/10/2012 at 21:18

Choisty - well done, is that a GFA place or championship? If so, congratulations!

16/10/2012 at 21:39

Mike that sure is quick, well done you.

Oscarr you look well sorted, I will be at work on Sunday thinking of you and the great time I know you will get!

I did a nice training run today, my 1st proper one since Basingstoke Half 9 days ago!  Did 15 miles, 1st 10 at about 8.46 ish ave pace and then the last 5 at 8.15, last 5 miles I was on the turbo Zip's!!  now on countdown to NY, leave 2 weeks Thursday so that was my last long run.

Well done Choisty, I have a place too via Barnardo's !  See you there.

Not sure if I will get back on til Saturday as I am hosting a Charity Dinner Dance for 110 people on Friday and I am little busy!  Did bag a great auction item this week, A tour of the Williams F1 Factory for 4 people, that should make a few quid !!

FH

17/10/2012 at 07:44

Choisty Congrtatulations re London and thanks for the Heads up re Gosport. I had checked out the website / location and was seriously thinking about it, but good to get someone's first hand comments before I jump in
Mike Great times - I think I'll take a pass on Brighton if it means I have to run as you, there's no way I could run that fast! Seriously, I'm sure there are rules against running using someone else's name, and a guy did it in the GNR and got banned for it.
I'm starting to get back into my running now after my post marathon rest and look forward to seeing what my body can do  

mcs
17/10/2012 at 09:04

Congrats to Choisty you will be awesome on the flat streets of London.......enjoy just a winter of training to do!!
FH well done on the charity fund raising you are amazing at that.....all the best for NY.
Dont think I will be qualifying for Boston at 3.30.00 this next year, need 38 minutes off my best time...........do you reckon that Brighton place can be transferred Mike? Wont run as someone else, against the rules, dont want to get banned, sure someone will buy the place off you if you cant transfer............happy Wednesday all, seriously soaked this morning cycling into the office. Now the sun is out!!

17/10/2012 at 09:32

Morning all!

You know I've never really fancied London but I'm starting to come round to the idea - all the excitement is infectious!!  My PB is GFA but done too long ago so doesn't count so I'd have to do another - so we'll see - I think if I could get a GFA/club ballot place I might do it but the public ballot really puts me off and I'd have to get someone to hold my hand in all the scary crowds! I'm sure you'll have a great run Choisty! 

Just going out on my bike today (I have a Cinelli road bike and a Scott MTB mcs - sorry I think you asked a bit ago and just realised I never answered that - nowhere near as flash as my old custom built 753 that I raced on but my old bikes got passed down the line 15 years ago when I hung my wheels up).  Good effort in that rain - Ben got drenched on his way to work but now the sun's come out here too - how happy am I!!!!

Boston is pretty exciting also - I think Rosie's doing it this year too - haven't even got round to thinking which overseas marathon will be my first non UK one - yippeee - a whole new list to build (I know - I'm a bit of a list LOL).  You'll have to tell us all about it Mike (please, thankyou).

So how's the list for the Coniston 14 coming along ... me,Ben, oscarr, mcs + 2, reiki - remind me - who else did we manage to talk into it - am really looking forward to seeing everyone!

17/10/2012 at 12:03

Thank you all...Mike it is a championship place and SB I completely agree, I have even said I would never do London again for those reasons, I ran my first Marathon there in 6:43 (it went badly wrong), then 6months after going sub-3 I had a club place and ran 3:11 because I had to overtake fred flintstone et al, this is the point I said never again, in the 5 years since I mellowed so that I would only do it again if I could get a championship place as it changes the dynamic, positioned just behind the elite and your own warm area, toilets and marquee.

Rosie is confirmed in Boston (and London I think!)

MCS...the training has unoffically started, 10M tempo run monday, followed up with 8 x 1/2M at 2:45 yesterday and a mid-week long run today, but it training proper will start boxing day!

mcs
17/10/2012 at 12:06

Grindleford Gallop list:- Oscarr; MCS, RR are you in? Reckon Choisty you could win it easily, I could give you a full low down on the route.....go on you know you want to!! There are only about 400 or 500 runners allowed in.

mcs
17/10/2012 at 16:30

What training schedule do you follow C?

17/10/2012 at 21:29

Sorry mcs I can't do the Gallop as I am already signed up to Finchley 20!  Looks like I will be branching out by increments, GG does look a lot more exciting than 3 laps of a London suburb.

I did 49:26 today in the 10K this morning, and surprised myself by how disappinted I was with myself that I let my title go for not paying attention. Had spied this woman just ahead and she seemed very aware of me dammit, no good at judging age.

It was fun and I didn't feel pushed though which is good, if not exactly the idea of racing.  

Choisty I'm so jealous - tese are my sentiments re VLM precisely yet I am never getting out of Pen 5!!  My brother goes right behind the champs in Fast GFA and says he wouldn't go any further back it's even a crush at the just sub 3 hour mark.

I'm proud today because bruv has been selected to represent Norn Irn in the International XC coming up after winning the V55 at the trials.  

SB speaking of overseas marathons, I fancy the CIM in Sacramento, downhill all the way, well no, but nett downhill; otherwise Amsterdam has a certain appeal.  I have been to the Benidorm half if that counts!

Have booked for a running and pilates weekend at Marlow 16-18 November, in what looks like a sumptuous location, and hotel has a spa etc.  

I'm going to have a go on a G Trainer next week also and am contemplting doing a total Mo and checking out the 3 minute freeze cubicle experience. 

Did anyoneelse sign up for Sam's marathon workshop?  How many guesses do you need heh heh 

1,761 to 1,780 of 4,505 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.