Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,801 to 1,820 of 4,501 messages
20/10/2012 at 12:06
Mike - my number is 65, see you there.
20/10/2012 at 12:52

Thanks oscarr - will check em out!  I do get cold feet so GT might be sensible though I don't like it in summer as I find it too warm - maybe they do a non GT version - I will check.

Lurgy, lurgy go away - I was snuffly just before Langdale too - just be sensible - warm drinks, plenty of calories and maybe a lemsip if you're feeling really bad.  Re-evaluate in the morning but if the symptoms are above the neck - you'll be fine! It's just an effect of all the extra rest - and remember caffeine is an excellent remedy for grogginess. 

Chin and feet up - eat, drink, rest!  By mile 3 your body'll probably realise you were tricking it and that you're not really cutting down on miles after all at which point it'll get its butt in gear and you'll be fine. 

Edited: 20/10/2012 at 12:56
20/10/2012 at 12:57

You'd laugh if you could see me now - am covered in mud - was sat on Ben's wheel for the last couple of miles home and the tractors have been out!  Time to finish my cup of tea, get clean and dig out some mudguards!

20/10/2012 at 13:24
Sleepy - just looked - they do a Fuji trail shoe without GTX - it's the mother of all colour schemes though!!
20/10/2012 at 14:17

LOL - glad it wasn't just me that thought that

20/10/2012 at 14:19

Hi all, apologies for being AWOL, but just had to pop in to wish Oscarr the very best of luck for Abingdon (hope I'm not too late!).  I'm well out of touch so good luck to anybody else who's running that or any other race this weekend.

I've finished my exam and have started my next course already.  The exam went okay, but I ran out of time and couldn't complete it.  I'm confident I've passed, but may not have made the best grade I'm capable of.  C'est La Vie.  I did my best on the day, but it was tough with pressure of time.

My knee is very gradually recovering, though I'm probably extending the recovery period by running.  I've been slowly increasing the mileage and have done 27 miles this week, including my first post-injury outdoor run this morning (10 miles).  I've got a half-marathon booked in a fortnight, and would really like to be able to race!  Although I'm not as fast as I was a few months ago, it would be nice to at least go sub-2 hours for a PB.  If the knee holds up after todays run, I will try a twelve mile run later in the week at recovery pace - maybe Wednesday or Thursday - to give me adequate recovery time before the race.

I wore some fairly new trail shoes today, and felt pain from five miles when the skin was gradually rubbed off the top of one of my toes .  Not good.

I've been using the roller.  I'm not convinced it helps the knee at all, but it certainly feels good on the calves and thighs.  I haven't really got the hang of the ITB exercise yet (understatement).

I should be posting more regularly again soon I hope!  I'll certainly be back to check on Oscarr's result    Finger's crossed!!!!!!!

Only six months to go to the Spring marathons! 

20/10/2012 at 14:19

Oscarr and Mike all the very best for Abingdon tomorrow.

Amazing night last night, I was hosting a charity dinner with Mrs FH, Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee.  Words can not express how I am feeling today, such a good night night and so much money raised!!

Debbie sat there and looked stunning all night, Paul was up chatting to guests and doing the odd card trick, even at 74 he still has it !!  Paul did the auction, his skills got the lots close to £5000 and we made a £750 profit on the bar and a further £750 on ticket sales. 

I hardly slept last night thinking about the night and how much we raised, I should get to £12,000 in total for the year betweek 4 charities. Happy Days!!

At work so better go.

Good luck to you racers for tomorrow!!

FH

20/10/2012 at 14:40

Awesome FH!!

Gosh guess what?  I am sitting here trying out my new Lahars!  I figured that I needed to try something between trainers and spikes for the XC [North London] champs next week, unless it's muddy enough for spikes my anles are in jeapoardy, b ut these are actually comfy.

Probably needless to say I have chia seeds.  I ried ishitake [chia fresca, the drink the Tarahumara allegedly run all day on], and it did thicken like frog spawn, not too unpleasant with the lime though. 

Then I read about chia lowering blood pressure quite significantly, and mine's already on the low side of normal, so I am more cautious now and have used a tablespoon of seeds in my bread mix a few times - lovely.

Ten maybe you need a masterclass with us in ITB rollering, did you check out YouTube?

I think I'll go for sub 85 tomorrow, although REALLY should do better! 

Still a bit drained from the week...and I had Monday and Friday off!!!

20/10/2012 at 16:54

Hi RR - I did watch the youtube vids.  They make it look easy!  I think they are demonstrated by professional gymnasts, or something.

Frog spawn with lime - sounds delicious 

20/10/2012 at 16:56

Cheers RR

FH

20/10/2012 at 16:58

I see Asics 26.2 is starting again soon.  Is anybody going for it?  I will stalk anybody going for around four hours

20/10/2012 at 17:26

Ten

Dunno about 26.2, will check that out.  

No need to stalk though, in terms of the sub 4 quest we are already here!  

Just sign up to the same marathon, mind you so far I only do the one!!!

20/10/2012 at 19:02
Ten/FH/RR/AC8/SB/RRR/mcs/Luke plus anyone I have forgotten - many thanks for all your good wishes - I will do my best and just hope I wake up feeling a bit better. Will text Sleepy who may post the initial result and I will follow up later with all the gory details. Off for a bath then early night.
20/10/2012 at 19:16

With pleasure!

Sleep well and have a great 'un tomorrow!

I meanwhile am being naughty and going to a wine tasting! Shame eh!  Rare night indeed.

20/10/2012 at 19:37
Lucky SB!! Or naughty Bear !

Looking forward to see how Oscarr gets on, sub 4 all the way!

I may give 26.2 a go, will get some advice from Oscarr when I meet him for a coffee on Tuesday !!

FH
20/10/2012 at 19:41

Go go go Oscarr, strong menthol at the start!!

20/10/2012 at 20:36

I'm hoping to get to watch Oscarr & Mike over the finish tomorrow Don't be too fast / too slow please - consider the spectators *grin*

I ran 24:35 in my local parkrun today, considering it was very muddy/heavy it was probably my best performance over 5k. Was just over 20 seconds off a PB. My heart rate averaged 169 - very high for me, and I gave it everything, which is something I enjoy doing.
Good luck again to tomorrow's runners  

20/10/2012 at 20:58

Thanks everyone for your best wishes - will report back asap tomorrow.

21/10/2012 at 06:21
Just watched the gang in Paris this year again - love Choisty's quote "this is why we run". Ave it !!!
21/10/2012 at 06:41

Good to see your up and about early

I'm taking the kids down to the London museums today, so I'll catch up with you tomorrow Oscarr.  And Mike too.

Smash those PB's!

1,801 to 1,820 of 4,501 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.