Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,901 to 1,920 of 4,505 messages
27/10/2012 at 12:14
Hi all. FH - lost all track of days so not sure when you fly now but just in case I thought I would come on and wish you all the very best for the big apple. I know you will have a great experience and a great year. Time to reflect on your amazing fundraising year and all the smiles on the faces of the folk who will benefit from it all.

Full report when you get mind, no slacking !!

SB - white stuff eh! Brrrrr that sounds cold. Enjoy xc tomorow and it they don't do cake after then you have permission to have some when you get home. Is Ben racing it as well?

RR - love your posts - there is room in the car for your sis for Coniston if you wish.
27/10/2012 at 12:45
Cheers Oscarr but Lara will be coming from Grasmere!
27/10/2012 at 12:45

Hey oscarr - just me this time!  Oooops just had some cake (that Ben brought home so technically it's his fault) - oh well - have to have some more tomorrow LOLOLOL  Got to make sure you have some decent weight to carry as you piggyback me along the Wall

How's the weather out there - are you being well looked after?

27/10/2012 at 13:41

Thanks RR and Oscarr.

I fly out 1pm Thursday, will try and post from the big apple if I can.  I cant tell you all how excited I am, but I can tell you, really excited its gonna be awesome!!  What a year of running, bloody amazing. 

You guys on here have been great, so thanks.

Working today, Monday and Wednesday and then ....... NY !

FH 

27/10/2012 at 18:35

I got round the XC without needing a trip to A&E, which is refreshing, and it was a blast once I got going.  Started right at the back and crept through on the second lap to come third last!  The Lahars were  bit clumpy, but safe.  I was very tentative indeed at first, confidence grew a little during, not a lot as it was so windy my eyes were streaming.

I think I did 33 mins for 3.68 miles which isn't that bad on hills, and is actually my *usual* on this course every single year in the Met League [just looked it up].  Presumably I was trying a bit harder to hurry up on some of those occsions, so maybe I can do the XC kind of tempoesque this year without too much damage.

FH my sister lives in NYC, yet so far none of us has done the marathon. I hope it's on tele, love watching marathons on tele.  

Just watched the intro to Strictly - that was GOOD.  Dashes off to kitchen in shock..

28/10/2012 at 01:29

Appologies for lurking & not posting!

Belated congrats on your 4.34 minute PB Oscar. I do believe you have a sub 4 in you and picking a good flat marathon course will prove that (not that Abo is hilly!). What have you got planned for next year? Manchester is advertised & promoted as one of the flatest marathons in the UK. Further affield there is Berlin, Amsterdam, Frankfurt in the Autumn. I'm tempted with Amsterdam only cause I was in Holland last week and it was half term - so fits in well with an Autumn mara!!

Good news RW are doing the ASICS target 26.2 again next year. To all those that applied last year and got to bootcamp (or not) don't be put off applying again! I was lucky second time round. As Ellie Goulding sings, anything can happen!

28/10/2012 at 01:31

Sorry Funny Hat forgot to say - good luck in the Big Apple! Enjoy the experience.

28/10/2012 at 07:12
Cheers KR! better correct Oscarr's time as you made a small typo ! 4:04!

FH
28/10/2012 at 10:03

Hey reiki - nice one!  I'll be heading out at lunchtime for the first one in our league.  Am a bit terrified as it'll be my first proper run (vs the jogging I've been doing) since Langdale - expecting a bit of a shock to the system.  Still - at least it's stopped raining and warmed up a bit.

Gonna jump in some puddles, gonna jump in some puddles - and some mud, and some mud! Might as well have fun - suspect it's gonna be my slowest ever 5k LOLOLOLOL

Hi KR - how are things going in your world?  Any targets on the horizon?

28/10/2012 at 10:15
SB do you wear spikes?

Have a good one!
28/10/2012 at 10:22

Morning!

I used to but I found that all the courses I was running weren't all that suitable so I gave them away.  I'm running in my studs today - they usually keep me upright (she says with crossed fingers)

How are you today?  Going out for a recovery sesh?

28/10/2012 at 13:47
Hi SB, spikes are ok if you know the terrain is going to be soft enough. I tend to go for the Solomon speedcross shoes for XC but they are a bit of a tight fit on the width. Only got Manchester in April as a goal at the moment. Had a busy year so taking it a bit more relaxed for he next couple of months. I think our XC league starts in a few weeks so will do few of those races.
28/10/2012 at 13:52
SB I knew that! You said before.

Did an hour on the bike first thing, but have since been out with a former colleague for lunch and a market wander.
28/10/2012 at 21:48
Hi all - weather glorious but think I wil need to detox a bit when I get back!!

Thanks KR - no plans yet for another PB attempt - winter xc then lot of endurance stuff finishing with The Wall endurance race with SB in june which will be a blast. No Asics for me this year, too old now.
28/10/2012 at 22:05

A sad and frustrating day for me today. I had planned to take part in the Great South Run, but despite my best efforts I was unable to find the race number envelope in my house. I went to my work and tried looking in/around my desk in vain at 8.20 am this morning and couldn't find it there either, so had to give up. 
Spent the rest of the day feeling sorry for myself and tidying up the house to try to reduce the risk of such an event occurring again.
My next run will be a jog on Tuesday and hopefully I can make it to join Reading Roadrunners on Wednesday evening. 

28/10/2012 at 22:50
Anthony that is a total bummer, gutted for yor you.

Not liking the weather for the US of A , hope every1 will be OK.

FH
29/10/2012 at 10:10

Hello all

I have been away sulking as I haven't been able to run much since the summer. Ankle is much better now and getting back out there but can only manage 4-5 miles. Any advice to buiding back up to marathon training fitness? Really want to build up the  the milage now

mcs
29/10/2012 at 10:41

Hi MWW and KR.....must be that time of year when everyone starts thinking about running next spring and what training they need to do and the fingers just come to RW!!!! Hope Oscarr hasn't got sunburnt.
Anthony how can you lose a race number!!!! You could have probably got a copy at race HQ.....ouch.....
Got out at 6am yesterday morning and did a very hilly 7.5 in rain with headtorch on.....I didnt mention the clocks going back to No2 daughter she was surprised when we got back to see me turning the clocks back an hour. She went back to bed...............
Flights cancelled to New York today at the moment, hope things calm down soon. Lakes is looking very wet for Wednesday!!!

29/10/2012 at 11:32

AC8 - oh no - chin up - we've all been through that at some point but mcs is right - you can normally get a replacement if you go and see the registration folks.

MWW - Just be sensible and increase no more than 10%  a week for 3 weeks then take an easy week - maybe even a 10% step back to consolidate before rebuilding the week after.  It'll soon build back up.  Nice to hear from you

16th place overall for me yesterday (according to the finish token) but not sure of my actual place as there were 3 races within one, so to speak.  Was happy with how I ran - it was a shock to the system as was expected but still enjoyed it.  Unfortunately there was a bit of a lady strop on the start line which really hacked me off and then I was running along in a bit of a huff with the lady in question.  There's always one person who thinks the rules don't apply to them - she'd been asked to take her jacket off so that her club vest was on show and for some reason that prompted  quite a vicious outburst which as far as I'm concerned was completely uncalled for.  Hey ho - will just remember not to start near her in future!

29/10/2012 at 11:35

Target 26.2 entries are open folks.  I'm out - can't attend one of the training days due to being at Club La Santa that week.  Am glad in a way as the Wall is inspiring me more than the thought of Paris just now!

1,901 to 1,920 of 4,505 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.