Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

1,941 to 1,960 of 4,501 messages
01/11/2012 at 15:39

Sleepy - don't burn out before next June mind 

01/11/2012 at 19:11

S'ok - you're giving me a piggy back the whole way remember so it doesn't matter whether I'm fit or not

01/11/2012 at 19:53

Tee hee - plenty of responses to that but better do as most women say to me "just do as your told", so "yes ma'm"

Anyone got a view on the new Asics running shoe  - The Gel-Excel 33 ? It is advertised as being built to adapt more naturally to your foots motion and sounds like more towards the minimalist (barefoot type) shoes but with some cushioning.  Any thoughts?  Tempted by this after reading Born To Run which basically said that all this Gel and Nike Air stuff is rubbish and you are better off getting as close to barefoot as you can.

01/11/2012 at 20:05

Oscarr - welcome back.

I ditched my "high-heeled" running shoes a while ago and never looked back. From memory I think I ran the 2011 Reading HM in a pair of Adidas Adizero Tempo virtually straight out of the box and had no problems at all.

My "family" of shoes is now from the same stable and I am on my 3rd pair of Adidas Supernova Glides - a brilliant shoe and the latest version is actually lighter than my previous generation racing shoe, so it shows how fast the technology develops. In fact it was these that I used in the Abingdon marathon and the earlier version in VLM 2012, so I think we can agree that they work for me.

Just to be on the safe side, please note that I tend to run with a midfoot strike and don't need the huge heel but in any case the ASG has an ingenious "floating" heel which is de-coupled from the sole so if you do land awkwardly it "gives" with you.

I love them.......and with my body weight they are good for 500 miles so good value. I think I paid £65 or so for the last pair.

02/11/2012 at 11:39

Morning

I'm quite tempted by them too oscarr except for the fact that the ladies versions up to now have been just about the ugliest shoe ever made. (This seasons are not too bad).  Bearing in mind though that I've spent the last 2 years building up my use of inov8 238s and 233s so I'm now used to a 6mm heel differential instead of the more normal 12.  Just be warned you will notice your calves at first (a lot) which is why most people need to build up their use slowly.  I too mid foot strike mostly now and my ankles and feet are much stronger.  Ben on the other hand has just been told by the physio to stop using his as he has damaged his calf - some type of overuse injury so it's not for everyone.

Try them by all means - I love my 238s - not quite so taken by my 233s but I'm now working to the logic of "if you're not picking up injuries there's no reason to change".

02/11/2012 at 13:10
Thanks Sleepy and Mike - how do you find out what foot strike you are?
02/11/2012 at 17:20

Have a look at the wear on a well used pair of trainers  

02/11/2012 at 17:55

Our club newsletter has published an article on age grading and a link to a good calculator which is   http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html .  I've just had a play and it works pretty well - you can see what age grading % was for a recent race and play around with what impact age has and use it as another type of calculator for different distances.

Just for fun, my times this year for 5K, 10K and half mara all give results ranging from 69.13 to 69.29% which shows a remarkable consistency across those distances.  However, my full mara PB at Abingdon is only 61.74% which once again shows there is still a lot of room left to go!! (that's good news by the way!!).

The article also indicated what the % ranges generally signify which is roughly;

90's - world class (top 20 in UK)

80's - national class (top 150 in UK)

70's - regional class (top 1500 in UK)

Means i'm just outside regional class up to half distance which is pleasing.

Anyone up for seeing what our forum % are? (Don't need to say your age if you don't want to, just the distance and %)

Thanks Sleepy - just looked at my old shoes and they don't seem to have worn anywhere on the sole - probably means i change them too early !!

02/11/2012 at 18:29

Mine are (based on my PBs, not all this year):

5k - 65.73% / 10k - 66.44% / ½ - 64.40% / Full - 61.69%

Must try harder LOLOLOLOLOL

Look carefully oscarr - look for even tiny bits of colour coming through from the midsole - it's not always that easy to spot if you're light footed.  Nothing wrong with changing your shoes - if you're not getting injured - you might be doing the right thing!

02/11/2012 at 23:00

My PB/ Age Grades 2012:

5k - 79.55%

10k - 80.76%

10m - 79.29%

HM - 79.76%

Full - 77.2%

There's always work to be done!

03/11/2012 at 00:25
Sleepy/Mike - great age % both of you.

just heard on the radio that they have cancelled the NY marathon due on Sunday - the timing is a real bummer for FH and all the other thousands of folk who have already travelled and after they announced earlier that the race would go ahead. Bet FH is spitting feathers right now!
03/11/2012 at 01:54
Correct Oscarr ! I.went to the expo and picked up the usual number and goodies bag, went.shopping feeling really good and then came back to hotel. Worked out my plan for.Sunday and then put.TV on while getting ready to go out.for the evening, saw the news and thought what perfect timing, my.arse !!!

Will.enjoy the rest of our holiday and i have a place for 2013 !!!

Funny.old thing life !

FH
03/11/2012 at 07:34

Tough luck FH. I feel for you! Planning for a run and for it not to take place is a real pain.
I did a proper track session last night and my legs feel like I´ve run a half-marthon or somethng! 1k reps and sprinting took their toll.
My age graded results: 5k 55.99%, 10k 53.58%, HM 51.43%, M 42.74%
I have a lot of scope for improvement!  

03/11/2012 at 08:37
Hi all

I'm on a train heading for Sussex and Sam's Master the Marathon day, sat here with Correct Toes in and feet on top of my second bag whilst sitting on spikey balls.

FH am gutted for you and Scott O and everyone, and am wondering if there isn't an upcoming marathon you could chuck all the training at. When I was there AC the time of the much more minor hurricane last year I was upset that the Bronx Half was cancelled.

This time it is more justified I feel with getting to the start looking tricky too.

AC8 don't get too carried away if you can help it! My sis has a stress fracture already and it's all down to taking up thrice weekly boot camp. Literally one minute she was texting me the marvellous news that she had done 91 star jumps in a minute, the next she was off to A&E.

Now Ten you do make me laugh. Agreed that every flowchart I ever looked at advised immediate hospital attendance, but that didn't mean there was nothing wrong. Crunchy knee was Malachondria I think. It's just a name for crunchy knee of course!

Well done on the XC SB. It's the ones in the crop tops and knickers you have to watch. Hope the concoctions have worked. I love your approach to the ultra.

Oscarr welcome home! Another way I tell how my foot strike is comes via the photos from races. When I get tired a bit of dorsiflection creeps back in.

I like the sound of the GE33s, but am wary of all the emotive language around *natural* and how all the clumpsters are getting on trend. I was lucky enough to get hold of a much earlier version of my Asics (1100s) which are lightish, but I have two pairs of Vibro waiting for me too.

These percentages are fab! I will have a go. When I have had results through from races I tend to be given around. 66%, but that is likely for total category rather than precise year, so I shall return...

Lovely field of sheep then.
03/11/2012 at 08:55
Well that has cheered me up no end even if I didn't cheat and use PBs from last year or jump ten days to upcoming 55th, and how interesting that I am better over shorter distances.

People I am somewhat regional and sub regional :

5K - 71.4%
10K - 73.12%
10M - 71.24%
Half - 69.59%
Full - 68.63%

I ponder these results and make two observations - firstly that I really must do half s and maras with less than 30 000 punters, then much more importantly, that age grading (and GFA/qualifying times) really are quite generous to women if a certain age.

I'll take it though.

Awesome running by me.
03/11/2012 at 11:12
Reiki - awesome indeed, have a great day with Sam and give her regards from all the chicks on this forum thread for me please.
03/11/2012 at 11:27
Sleepy - you asked about Born To Run - enjoyed the first half but it got a little frustrating when he kept devoting whole chapters to tangents and as I'm such a slow reader it meant I had to think again about where the story had got to about the race. However, a great insight into the world of ultra running and the folk who do it and such a good writer that I could easily picture the scenes and people he was describing. Don't think I will be entering the Leadville race though!! Overall, an enjoyable read.
03/11/2012 at 13:05

I do wish RW would sort out their email notifications and the link to the first unread post.  It's really hard finding where I left off after a day or so! 

SB/Oscarr - that hardcore Ultra plan sounds insane for a first attempt!  That's a huge commitment for fifty mile weekends.  I'd only want to do that if I was faster than I am now (i.e. I wouldn't need to spend the whole weekend running).  The event looks great - are you planning to complete it in one day, or two?

Born to run made me want to go backpacking again   One thing that makes me laugh is the ingenuity of the big corporations selling shoes to "barefoot" runners.  That's class.  You have to be on something to come up with an idea like that.

RR - are you making up names for conditions now?  Never heard of malawhatsit.

I have work to do on my performances - age graded or otherwise!

03/11/2012 at 13:21

I'm jealous of all you age gradings!  Mine pale...

5k     59.60%

10k    60.81%

HM    55.49%

Mara  50.41%

Hopefully I'll improve the half-marathon grading tomorrow

03/11/2012 at 13:27

I've just checked the weather forecast for tomorrow morning.  Severe weather alerts for heavy rain??????  Seriously... how can I be that unlucky every time I have a race?  Do the met office base their forecasts on my race days? 

It's practically perfect running weather right now, of course.

Sigh.

1,941 to 1,960 of 4,501 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.