Bereaved and missed some training

Advice please

21 to 39 of 39 messages
01/03/2006 at 10:15
Thank you. I'm aiming to do some hill work tonight: that should help me sleep!
01/03/2006 at 11:00
I've just read this thread and it has brought tears to my eyes! It's so touching. Really sorry to hear about your mum. My dad also died very suddenly and unexpectedly (on holiday) a few years back now. He used to love watching the marathon on TV and last year I ran FLM for a charity in memory of him. I knew he would have been there cheering me on and really proud. Things like that can help. I will be thinking about him again this year when I run it. Hope the running gives you something to focus on in the next few months.
01/03/2006 at 12:38
Jiggi,
really sorry about your mum.
No one is going to judge you, if you want to run, do it. Lost my uncle to Prostate Cancer on Saturday. Must have been a very strange sight on my sunday run, as I cried all the way round, but obviously needed to.

Its your grief, you deal with it how you want to, and remember your mum would be proud of you.
01/03/2006 at 13:38
So sorry about your mum jiggi, haven't got any advice just wanted to wish you, your dad and family the best and hope you have a good day for the race.
01/03/2006 at 13:39
JB24 thank you. I am sure your Dad would be very proud of you.
PR I am so sorry about your Uncle. When I was running on Sunday it was very cold and bright and I cried a bit as I ran, but no one could tell if it was tears or my eyes watering in the sunshine. Anyway, it made me feel so much better and in a better frame of mind to support my Dad.
02/03/2006 at 07:41
signing off for now as Mum's funeral is tomorrow.
02/03/2006 at 07:45
((((((((()))))))))))
02/03/2006 at 08:03
jiggi

so sorry to hear about your mum and best wishes for the funeral today, i know it will be a real trial for you.
i also lost my mum very suddenly this time of year - 20 years ago now and she's still very much a part of my life
i wanted to let you know this as you can still do things 'with her' , i have a tray my mum made me and i still get it out every night to put the pepper and salt on, there are all sorts of little ways which help. and don't be afraid to talk to her.
also the first thing i did the next day was go out for a run, through the snow and crying all the way - but i think they would want you to carry on the normal things as far as you are able to, which i know may be difficult for you with your dad and son .
don't feel under pressure to stick to the training schedule if you don't feel up to it but treat running as a special time for yourself
let yourself get back into things as gradually as you need to, there will be bad days and less bad days. take each day at a time is a bit of a cliche but so true.

really feeling for you at the moment,
all the best
x
04/03/2006 at 15:37
Thank you.
Mum's funeral was beautiful. Lots of people came that we hadn't expected but who were very important to Mum and who took me right back to my childhood! The visit to the funeral directors the day before was ghastly. I can only imagine it was amateur night at the undertakers when they got Mum ready as it really looked nothing like her. Obviously we expected some changes but it was terrible and it set my Dad right back. Thank God the funeral itself was just right, simple, calm and dignified just like Mum.
iron fraggle    pirate
06/03/2006 at 10:27
how are you doing Jiggi?
06/03/2006 at 14:55
OK at the moment, thanks Fraggle. To be honest it hasn't really hit me yet. Every once in a while a window opens on my grief, but I'm on automatic pilot most of the time.
12/03/2006 at 16:20
16 miles today. Not bad considering
12/03/2006 at 17:45
Jiggi,
How sad I am for you it brings a tear to my eye also.
I used my running to cope when my dad died a few years ago. I also lost my step brother a couple of years before that in an accident & he was a great lad who dispite getting injured the first time he went in the Army & got discharged unfit, he worked hard & got back in again. His CO said he was an insipration to all the other lads & had just got best overall recruit when he came home on leave & got killed. However the point is when I am out & needing a lift I imagine that they are both on my shoulder as little white angels pushing the little red devil away to help me get through it. Try it I don't own it. Grief is so painfull let it out slowly when you feel you can cope with it even if it is only a little that way you don't feel out of control. Take each day as it come & be kind to yourself.
Ann
13/03/2006 at 17:00
Thank you Ann. How terrible that must have been for you and how corageous you are in dealing with it. I am taking each day as it comes as you suggest and have managed to negotiate reducing my hours at work so I can be withmy Dad a bit more.
Thanks for your support.
Jiggi x
24/04/2006 at 14:48
I made it! 5.54 and proud!
24/04/2006 at 14:54
Yeah Nice one
24/04/2006 at 14:55
Jiggi
Waht a fantastic memorial for you mum
xxxxxxxxxxxx
24/04/2006 at 15:44
Thank you Dave and PH : How did you get on?
14/12/2006 at 10:26
BOING!!! For RebekkahJane

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.