Breakfast on the Day??

6 messages
14/03/2009 at 15:31

Hi All,

Doing my first marathon this year. My usual pre race/ training breakfast is a large bowl of porridge covered in Golden Syrup. I'm booked in the London City Road Travelodge and I'm getting worried how to get a proper breakfast inside me.

Any advice on how/ where's the best place for pre race fuelling. I've no idea how close the hotel is or how long it will take to get to the start. Do MacDonalds do porridge?!

Cheers,

Plumby

14/03/2009 at 15:37

Check with the hotel they do porridge.   If they don't, maybe with some notice they can do it on FLM day and suggest you take your own with you.  Do you know if there is a cafe near the hotel that could help.

If not, try experimenting with something else such as toast, muesli, jam donuts.  I highly recommend jam donuts.

14/03/2009 at 16:11

You can buy porridge made by a company called Grasshopper that you make with just adding boiling water.  They sell it in our local Waitrose, or in Planet Organic stores.  Its not bad (not quite as good as real porridge) but would mean you could make it in your own room if you couldn't find anywhere locally.  I found it last year, when I was researching the same thing.  Buy 2 pots though, they're a bit ingenerous.

We stayed in a Premier Inn and they'd laid on porridge.  We stayed in a travelodge - City airport, I think, for the London triathlon  and they had porridge available in their cafe too.  Give your hotel a call and find out.

14/03/2009 at 16:16
Ooh, loving this idea Wotsit.  I could take it to work with me.
14/03/2009 at 16:24
I recommend the cinnamon & raisin one, its a little bit different.
14/03/2009 at 16:39

They look good Wotsit. I'll have to give them a try.

Not sure the date one would be a good idea just before a marathon though....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.