Breakfast on The Day

1 to 20 of 25 messages
02/04/2005 at 07:23
What are you planning to eat for breakfast on the morning of the 17th? I'm staying at someone else's house the night before (they live 10 mins walk from the start so it seems like the polite thing to do!) so difficult to have my usual wierdy beardy porridge / ground seeds / flax oil combination. As an experiment, I did my longest run (20 miles) on poached egg on toast which seemed to do the trick. How about you?? Beans on toast has also been recommended to me, but bit nervous about running on gas...
02/04/2005 at 07:25
Will be sticking to my usual porridge/honey and banana I think, wouldn't dare try anything different on the day!
02/04/2005 at 07:34
Bacon roll, banana, fruit yoghurt and choccy/coffee combo. Did last long run on entire tub of low fat chicken liver pate and ryvita and was fine, but for tradition's sake will stick with above.
02/04/2005 at 07:43
I am hoping the hotel I am stopping at will prepare me my usual pre run meal of beans on toast.Run close to me at your own risk!!
02/04/2005 at 08:09
Strange as it may sound but my bast runs have come off the back of a full english breakfast. Cooked very healthily of course. I read a marathon book the other day which said under no circumstances should you run off one of these. Hmmmm.....think I must be missing something
02/04/2005 at 08:30
I shall have my usual cup of coffee and porridge plus a rice cake with peanut butter.

Mrs M, why not take your wierdy beardy porridge / ground seeds / flax oil combination to your friend's house?
02/04/2005 at 09:41
Sezz, the chap I'm staying with is one of my husband's banking clients. I've never even met him! Hopefully I don't have any bad habits that will put him off sending further business Mr M's way...

As to why I don't take breakfast with me, I guess on one level I'd just find my breakfast ritual a bit embarrassing and awkward to carry (certain oats, certain milk, certain dried fruit etc etc - would use up practically my entire tupperware collection which I'd then have to put on the Flora lorry!) but also if truth be told now the weather's warming up I'm sometimes finding it lies a little too heavy on the (already heavy enough) tum. Trying to find something that is nice and straightforward to prepare on the morning. Will do my 2 hours tomorrow on poached eggs on toast again to see if that really does work!
02/04/2005 at 12:45
I normally have a mixture of Alpen and bran flakes 2 hours before a long run which does me really well.

Good luck everyone!
Nik x
02/04/2005 at 21:29
2 slices of toast and marmite or jam, 2 hours before is my morning fuel, plus the habitual cup of tea! mmmmm

Kam
04/04/2005 at 20:02
porridge,banana, yougart and cup of tea
04/04/2005 at 21:08
Mcdonalds
For Porridge & toast
Aud
04/04/2005 at 21:43
I'm staying at a hotel on the Saturday which offers an all you can eat buffet breakfast on the Sunday. My husband and daughter will just have to stuff their faces to get my money's worth, as I'm taking my own porridge with me and hope they'll allow me to use their microwave, as i have such a massive bowl of it, i need to heat it up midway through eating. I plan to pocket bananas, rolls, yogs, etc., for after the event.
04/04/2005 at 22:23
RICE CRISPIES, TOAST AND A CUPPA!! (IF I CAN STOMACH ANYTHING AT ALL-SOooooo NERVOUS!!)
05/04/2005 at 00:47
Two slices of toast with honey and a banana and two cups of tea, and of course two immodium instants when I get to Greenich Park
Good luck everyone
05/04/2005 at 01:00
MrsM why not try to addapt your usual brekkie and make it into a musli!

I usually have porridge with pumkin linseed& sunflower seeds, rasins, and maple syrup a few hours before a long run.

If it feels like it my lay heavy, or I am running earlier than usual I turn it into a musli, have a little less of everything and ommit the maple syrup.

Don't forget the Imodium Plus! although if you haven't tried them by now it may be a little late.
05/04/2005 at 12:24
Coco Pops - They even turn the milk chocolatey ;O)
10/04/2005 at 09:00
Tried an Oatso Simple porridge thingy this morning - jolly tasty and much less bother than my usual concoction. That's it for me!
10/04/2005 at 14:07
Tea, Porridge, and wholemeal toast with peanut butter!! Mmmmmm........

[P]
10/04/2005 at 19:43
2 or 3 slices of grannary toast woth jam, a banana and 3 double espressos.
Good speed all x
10/04/2005 at 21:18
Porridge with a mashed banana topped with runny honey, it's like rocket fuel and I find this works well.

Good luck to all and anyone running London Marathon for the first time enjoy the experience.
1 to 20 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.