Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Let the search for our six-strong team begin...

181 to 200 of 3,099 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/11/2009 at 19:29

TNH I've done the suicide twice... good laugh. The stream jump is mighty cold and if it's rained lots before very deep

the 100+ stairs at the end are mean!

I don't have "down with it" language - I just talk! So if you have to be down with the grove I don't stand a chance!!

Beem out twice today - only 2m ish at at time but I got out. It's scary to remember that I used to run 10-15m runs on easy weeks when training for FLM

Kind of miss it in a way. Suppose that goes back to the difference between being "normal" and a runner. Runners thing nothing of going out in the cold/wet/dark/snow for a run and have even be known (not me honest (crosses fingers)) to enjoy running in snow and even gone out on purpose to run in the snow! We are indeed mad!!

09/11/2009 at 19:42

just had a look at the schedules the RW team has set I reckon a sub 3.30 plan would be good and almost do able

then I had a look at my entry form again ....hmm perhaps I was a bit too honest

aaaah well might go to Spain instead in April

09/11/2009 at 20:01

Yes, another one studying the schedules here.

Has anyone worked out what races they would enter to fit in with the plan?

Week 1 and week 3 have XC races on the Saturday which would fit in with the Yorkshire XC Championships and then the Northerns.  Week 4 has a 10k which usually fits in with the Dewsbury 10k - fast and flat.  Week 6 has another XC race - would need to seek one out here or swap it for a hilly road race - maybe the Liversedge HM.  Week 8 has a 5m-HM race - I would choose the National XC championships for this as they're in Leeds this year, or perhaps the Snake Lane 10 if I felt in great shape.

The HM in week 10 would need looking at, then it's light on races from then on.  Basically an adapted Mike Gratton schedule which many on these forums have used to great effect in recent years.  I'm sure the mentors will be using their expertise to make minor tweaks as appropriate to the individual.

I do like the fact that the one I've been looking at is virtually devoid of rest days, needing the consistent commitment the programme requires.

09/11/2009 at 20:16
goldbeetle - SD marathon is a really nice one.  Tough, but worth it.  I've done it twice, got lost on the first one losing my lead, but regained it again at about 15 miles.  Think I covered over 27 miles for that one
09/11/2009 at 20:35
I did the second south downs you and BR did it, it started raining after about 2 hours and the bloke I was running with could not stop farting because of the SiS drink  we were given it was good fun in a strange way
Edited: 09/11/2009 at 20:36
The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/11/2009 at 20:37

see GB another demonstration of why runners aren't normal!!

I've done the trailwalker along the SDW (62m from Petersfield to Brighton) would I be right in guessing the marathon follows the footpath somewhere?

09/11/2009 at 20:40
BR I suppose for the half at week 10 in 3.30 schedule I was looking maybe Reading or Siverstone Bath Fleet I suppsoe they want you to get used to running in a big crowd and taking on fluids etc
09/11/2009 at 20:41
Pixie the race goes from Arundle to Petersfield
09/11/2009 at 20:54
Surely you're used to running in a big crowd if you've done the Poole 10k
09/11/2009 at 21:21
I'm new to online runners world but the hard copy version was a fantastic reference for advice when training for first marathon. have entered this competition it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity!!
09/11/2009 at 21:50
ha Ive only done the Poole 10k  once now Im the man responsible for it not taking part
09/11/2009 at 21:55
Can't hurt to at least apply!! Well seeing that i didn't win the Euro millions draw the other night!
PSC    pirate
09/11/2009 at 21:58
Just noticed the thread, so have entered.  Tried last year and failed.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Better odds than the lottery or ballot or whatever it  was called this year.
Edited: 09/11/2009 at 22:24
09/11/2009 at 22:06

Hi there,

Came looking for some inspiration today (Normally, I'm a lurker .... ) and found the competition. Didn't think too hard and plunged right in .... and then been pondering for the rest of the day.

I'm a total novice and know I haven't a hope in heck for being picked, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and if I was fortunate enough to be selected I know it'd be the opportunity of a lifetime (or kill me!)

The thought of training hard enough and to have the target of actually finishing something as amazing as the VLM, wowsers ...even if I don't get selected (ha ha!) .. I will be watching those that have with great envy and cheering from the side

But, could you just imagine, being picked ... eek! Having someone to give you a training goal, and then having the whole forum watching your every move ... eek ... I'd just have no excuses .... Oh my, just the thought terrifies and excites me at the same time (and no, I haven't told my DH ... !!)

09/11/2009 at 22:24

Goldbeetle, since you've tried South Downs you should definitely go for Neolithic.  Great event!  I've had the honour of coming last twice *G*

I've not put in my entry yet.  Am I the only one doing lots of fiddling and re-writing to get it just right?

Zed42, I should imagine they'll want a beginner, so no harm in trying!

09/11/2009 at 22:33
I'm in, if not the hat goes on the fire !!!
09/11/2009 at 23:02
It just had to be done - I could not resist it.  But like Rowan Green Faster at Forty I'm still fiddling with words.  Here goes..........
09/11/2009 at 23:02

I've decided to give it a go too!

Too good a chance to miss.

09/11/2009 at 23:36

just spent a very long time reading through the forum and firstly just to say good luck to everyone this would be an amazing opportunity  !  I can only keep my fingers and toes crossed and wait in anticipation for the final results!

I  am new to writing on the forum and thats not to say that I don't spend  hours reading thru the forums whether its to seek advice on injuries, reading up on events etc!   I also have introduced so many of my friends to runners world  so I would like to think that other users don't  get fustrated with newbies to the forum as everyone deserves a chance !  Don 't  they ????

So best of luck to everyone whoever the lucky six will be I look forward to reading your blogs or if their is a miracle writing my own ! 

10/11/2009 at 00:04

Tomorrow marks my two year anniversary of when I started to run.  I have done 175 runs and clocked up 998.7 miles.  I had a really bad ankle twist at the weekend at the Parkrun and have sat staring at my ankle willing it to get better for 3 days (as has the dog.)  No dice.  I've missed my 1000 in 2 years by a couple of days. 

It's not really a special occasion or a milestone or anything at all and I wouldn't have known I was that close if I didn't look at my log when I was entering this compition, but now I know , I am depressed.  How cruel is that? 

I wonder how many miles you clock up if you stick to the training schedule? and how many miles different it is according to what target time you set your goal at? 

Happy Running Aniversay to me,

181 to 200 of 3,099 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.